Fordmods Logo

Speaker Upgrade for EL Falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Speaker Upgrade for EL Falcon
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

the speakers on the front dorr of my EL falcon isn't very good (IMO) i think they're the stock ones from the factory.

So far, the headunit has been changed and a 10 stack cd stacker has been added.

anyways, i was wondering what are the speaker sizes for speakers on the front door?

also what speakers to go for?

(my budget is around $200~)

i heard jaycar speakers are very good for their value, and also some 2nd hand equipment... what are you're thoughts on this?

for future upgrades:

i have been to a couple of car audio stores people have been telling me to add a sub in the back for that extra ooomph, (i would like that... so what are you're thoughts on adding a sub?)

some of the sales have been telling that a 10" is sufficent, others say a 12" is better, is the extra 2" noticible?

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FALCON!

ACT, Australia

a 10in sub is better for short quick doof doof

whereas 12in subs can control/handle bass better

6"-7"in speakers should fit in the doors

anything kevlar reinforced should last quite a while and dont sound too bad either

EF FALCON custom bodykit, paceys,redback zorst full /////ALPINE stez BA XR 17's king springs (lows) areotech racing seats
dual fuel 919 thousand km's on the clock

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

okay

wel in the front there is 6 inch speakers or some say 6.5" ut they fit.

as above a ten is for fast beats such as techno (doof doof). but i have a twelve and list to techno all the time and it doesn't have a problem.

if your going to put a sub you will need an amp as well so for bottom end stuf you are looking at 300 for both sub and amp. but go a a little higher and you will probably get a decent sub and amp for about 400-500.

for teh speakers i stick to alpine for that stuff. i have had a problem with their speakers and find that i can push them pretty far as i haven't heard any distortion from them. you can probably pick up some alpine type s for $150 or so. but if you wanna buy some good stuff type R splits are mad but are about $400.

But the choice is yours with speakers. what you should do is listen to them before you buy them. that way you know what to expect when you put em in

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

i aggree with you 100% ive got /////ALPINE all through my car and im running 12in subs
i swear by alpine i wont buy anything else :wink:

but as they say BIGGER IS BETTER!!!

EF FALCON custom bodykit, paceys,redback zorst full /////ALPINE stez BA XR 17's king springs (lows) areotech racing seats

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah but you cant go to 15" cos it jsut is too big and cant keep up with the pace of doof doof

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

BIGGER AMP !!!!! that fixes that right up

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:08 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I would use a Jaycar Vennom 12" sub and box build amp. I have installed a number of these for people and costv is under $400 for sub and amp.

front speakers go with the 6.5" jaycar ones with the 1" swivel tweeter. They sound quite good and the adjustable tweeter will allow you to angle the soundstage up.

Other options are there is currently a 4 x 50rms amp on CAA for sale for $100. It would allow you to run 50rms to front stage and 150rms to sub.

I would definately go with a 12" in the falcon. a single 10 (unless its a really good one with heaps of power) will not give you as much bass as yuo will want. Unless you go with 2 x 10's? If yuo go with 2 of the vennom 12's and the amp you can get a 2ohm load and get 290rms into 2 x 10's all for under $400 brand new with warranty. Pretty good value.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i know i am chagning the topic but how is jaycar speakers. what are they like. i know you would be the person to ask about car audio.

also how can i tell if my sub is dual voice coil. it is an eclipse and has to sets of termianls but i am not suer if the other pair should be used cos they are off to the side of teh other terminals and they are just on teh same piece of metal as the other ones. should dual voice coil be on a seperate piece of metal.

Also sorry for changing the topic man.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

jaycar is excellent if u dont wanna spend much. its cheap and will be almost as good as the expensive brands. people make fun of me for having a jaycar amp runnung my 12" subs, until they hear what it produces

NO, its not me, you are mistaken.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

dual voice coil should have2 set of plugs on the sub 1 for each voice coil

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i know there is two sets but i am un suer as they are connected to the same piece of metal.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:53 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

The DMac wrote:
i know i am chagning the topic but how is jaycar speakers. what are they like. i know you would be the person to ask about car audio.

also how can i tell if my sub is dual voice coil. it is an eclipse and has to sets of termianls but i am not suer if the other pair should be used cos they are off to the side of teh other terminals and they are just on teh same piece of metal as the other ones. should dual voice coil be on a seperate piece of metal.

Also sorry for changing the topic man.

It depends on which of their speakers your refering to.

I have installed the Vennom series subs in 12" and 15" size in a few different cars and i am quite happy with the sound of them at low and moderate volumes. They are not a high power handeling speaker so wont take more than about 200rms each but for most people that is heaps. At less than $100 for a brand new 12" or 15" they are great value and they are pretty flexible about enclosure type and size as i have run them in sealed and ported cabinets and they work well.

The larger and mroe expensive series with the dual magnet structure subs are VERY good subs and also represent pretty good value but at a close of close to $300 and for $400 you can get some really good brand name stuff both new and second hand so you dont see that many of them out there. Still a good speaker i would reccomened.

I'm not a fan of the fancy looking ones with the chrome baskets and flashy cones. The speakers in these series are not that great and for a little more you can get some cheaper brand name stuff like the basic series apline, phoenix gold, earthquake.

The build into the amp box is excellent value and it is great thats it's 2ohm stable and produces 240rms at 4ohm and 290rms at 2ohm which is perfect for 2 x 10's or 12's. At under $200 its value is unbeatable and i also like the fact that it builds into the box it makes installation easy and has a built in through crossover meaning you can run a single set of RCA's in select a crossover point and get the highpassed signal out to run to your front amp etc....

Dual voice coil normally works by having one coil inside the other so you will have two distinct set's of terminals that will be the same size and are normally on oppposite sides of the woofer although this does not have to be the case. They will have seperate tinsel leas going into different voice coils so the wires would not normally join into each other.

Earthquake also make good cheaper equipmentwith 12" and 15" subs starting from around $150

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Last edited by pyroay on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

u wont pick up any alpine gear for under $150 unless its old, stolen,damaged or the place that sells the gear is going bankrupt and are chucking a huge sale

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks pyroay

the car audio place nearme had just had a sale and had type S 6" for $98 which is unbeatable. nut i think there back up to 150 now.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

It's usually the amps that let the speakers down.
If your after a good set of speakers for the front of the car that are gunna run off the ibuilt amplifier on your headunit, I'd recomend a set of JayCar splits or what ever set of splits is on special at Autobarn. We got a great set of Clarion splits which installed in a mates car the other day from Autobarn for $150, good price, good brand name and they sound great on the small amp.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next