speakers? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: speakers?
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

hey all, recently installed the cd player into the car, clarion DB246MP 50w x 4.

only got the stock speakers in there at the moment, and it sounds s**t house.

what speakers would you recommend for the front and rears? i have 2x clarion 12" subs to go in as well.

i have ben looking on ebay, but i dont get the whole 2 way 3 way thing, and not sure on what would sound good.

used to have 6" splits in the front and 6" in the rear in the old EB, but it didnt seem to go loud enough. It was loud, but started to didtort a fair bit wen i turned it up. they were only botom line clarion speakers.

so what would you reccommend? dont wanna spend too much on the speakers,not sure on how much ishould be spending, just give me some rough estimates and suggestions.

cheers

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Well the rears you dont really have to worry about as you sit in the front most of the time. For a decent set of splits you would be paying $250 plus. I have JL VR splits in the front and like how they sound. For better quality sound you really should have them running off an amp with the low end cut out as you have subs in the boot anyways. The money you save by not replacing the rears you can put towards better front speakers, trust me its worth it.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

u would prob be right about sticking with the front, but i would prefer to get new speakers all around.

especially when the music is distrubuted to different speakers on the song/track. i remember in the Eb, i blew up the right rear speaker, and i couldnt listen to the music proerly as the certain music that was suppose to come out of that speaker wasnt there. even if a faded all the music to the fronts.

And how do you eliminate bass from the speaker and run it all to the subs. in the EB, i think this was the biggest killer of the system as i still had a fair bit of bass coming out the speakers and the subs going aswell. surely there would be a setup like u have in home system, where all the bass goes though the sub.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Not sure of your set up but to run it properly you need atleast an amp with 4 channels with x overs. 2 channels bridged to run the sub and 2 channels to run the fronts. The x overs in the amp control the cut off frequencies to eliminate the high and mid for the sub and low frequencies for the front speakers. If running the rears off the HU you can fade the HU more to the front to reduce the power going to the rears. Ideally you would have either a 2 channel or a mono block amp for the sub and a 4 channel for the fronts and rears then you would have full control of the frequency settings through out the car. Seeing your on a budget i wouldnt bother at all with upgrading the rears as all they really do is spoil the stereo imaging up the front.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

VIC, Australia

you should be able get the same size speakers in a component eg a rockford split speaker will fit in the stock holes for the speakers still giving you good quality sound or you can get a small 4 channel amp with new speakers give them a bit more grunt and adjustable sounds quality so your 12"s dont sound louder than your speakers

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

yeah i have neen running fronts which are boston splits $500 a set of the amp and sub of the amp with out rears at all for months i had the rers running but it brought the whole lot down so i unpluged them since u got bass under controle ide ger a good set of fronts and run them off an amp and save for some rears

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

VIC, Australia

if you get a 4 channel amp this could eventually run front and rears giving you a good system with your 12's

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

mswyld wrote:
if you get a 4 channel amp this could eventually run front and rears giving you a good system with your 12's

yeah at the moment i run front and sub of a 4 channel but when im done front and back will be of a 4 channel and sub off a monno block

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

use some good 6.5" splits up front cos they have awsome all round freq response, and then some 6" coaxials, or 6x9 3 ways if u can b f**k cutting holes in ur car for them, then run ur subs on a mono block, tune it and it wud b insane, its wht i did :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:39 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

wont 6x9's sound s**t house? i have always been told the two dont mix..

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:01 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

6 x 9’s are a compromised design as oval speakers don’t perform as well as round speakers.

The concept behind 6 x 9’s was to offer an all in one speaker where people were not able to or did not want to run a dedicated subwoofer.

Because of their size they offer average sub-bass but strong midbasses which pulls the soundstage backwards.

IMO they are completely unnecessary and are detrimental to a system. If you already have them, then run a high pass filter fro about 500htz in the rear and that will greatly improve your imaging and soundstage. Even a simple inline 6dB cap will be adequate as a crossover so no need to run an amp with crossover. Normally 15-18rms from a headunit is plenty for rear fill.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]