Fordmods Logo

speakers 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: speakers
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

im buying a dvd cd player for another car, it has 60watt by 4 output, i've always worked on the principal that the speakers should be able to handle at least 2 times the rated output of the head unit.

so would 4x 120watt 5.25 speakers be suficiant?

thanks

Post subject: Re: speakers
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
im buying a dvd cd player for another car, it has 60watt by 4 output, i've always worked on the principal that the speakers should be able to handle at least 2 times the rated output of the head unit.

so would 4x 120watt 5.25 speakers be suficiant?

thanks

I'm assuming the 60W is max power, if that is the case you probably have about 30WRMS...so find speakers which are about 25-30WRMS for best results...you can get ones which are rated higher in value, just means your speakers won't be playing at their full potential.

I think 120W is a bit overkill, but wouldn't do any harm as far as I know.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

damn quick reply dude,,thanks,,yeah i think 120 watt would be ideal as it gives a bit of room to move,,i have 300watt speakers in the falcon and the head unit is rated at 52watt x 4 output and it sounds good...so ill go with the 4x 120 watters....

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:16 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

60 w MAX on a head unit, you may get 15w RMS. Car Stereo australia a few years ago tested a 600 dollar clarion unit that gave 14.6 w RMS, back then that was the highest they had seen from a head unit.

Get 2x front speakers of the best quality you can afford. For budget i quite like the alpine type s 6" just because they have a good tweeter for the cash. If you can go more expensive ($300) get some splits up front. Dont worry about the rear, when do you listen to the stereo in the back seat?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so would two or three way be better for this

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
so would two or three way be better for this

Something like this

Or

This

Look for a good brand name speaker (Alpine, Pioneer, kenwood etc) that has a simmilar look. Most cheap 2-3-4 and 5 way speakers have crap steel tweeters and (lol) super tweeters.

The splits (2nd set) will give better sound due to a solid cone and better crossovers (separates high notes from bass to put it simply).

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

If you aren't going to use an amplifier, look for speakers with a high sensitivity so you can make the most of the limited power you have.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

haggis wrote:
If you aren't going to use an amplifier, look for speakers with a high sensitivity so you can make the most of the limited power you have.

This is important if you want your speakers to be loud. I would rather good sound over loud sound. Sometimes you cant have both.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390167923304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

so would these be over kill or would they do allright,,i was thinking of these front and back.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF- Wagon

QLD, Australia

IMO they wouldnt last too long before distorting and going to the s**t. I have some blaupunkt 6" splits in my ef and they have the tweeters in the dash and they run perfect off a standard 4x50w head unit- they dont distort and i am running 2 x 12" pioneer championship series subs as well and they never sound out of place or under performing. If you put in $30 speakers you will just be replacing them again sooner rather than later.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:36 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

DO NOT GET 30 dollar speakers. They sound like s**t.

Spend 150 on front speakers if you can. If you are on a budget (which by wanting 30 dollar speakers i assume you are) spend all your money on front speakers because they will sound better than buying crap speakers all round.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390167923304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

so would these be over kill or would they do allright,,i was thinking of these front and back.

You're being a tight a***. Go to JB or Autobarn and listen to Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine and whatever else they have and buy something decent.

Also, above you were told that your amp should have more power than your speakers are rated at (in a round-about way). So you shouldn't really be looking at high power speakers as your head unit won't have enough power to make them sound as good as they should. You'll lose bass from them and they'll sound average. If running from the head unit, you should be looking at the lower model speakers from the brands I listed above.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
naughtyfalcon wrote:

You're being a tight a***. Go to JB or Autobarn and listen to Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine and whatever else they have and buy something decent.

Also, above you were told that your amp should have more power than your speakers are rated at (in a round-about way). So you shouldn't really be looking at high power speakers as your head unit won't have enough power to make them sound as good as they should. You'll lose bass from them and they'll sound average. If running from the head unit, you should be looking at the lower model speakers from the brands I listed above.

thats all well and good if you don't have to drive 3 hours to get to anywhere that sells these.
i have speakers that were $50 300watt 6x9's in the falcon for 4 years and have never had a problem with them,,just because something has a high price does not meen it is a better product..

all i was asking was if the speakers would be suitable for the head unit, not how much should i spend.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

If you have to drive 3 hours then buy decent speakers from eBay or a car audio store that sells online like FHRX Studios, not crap speakers.

I didn't say that higher price equals better products. I told you that you're being a tight a*** buying crappy Audiopipe speakers and then told you to buy low end models from a decent brand.

To answer your question, any speakers will work from a head unit but high power rated speakers won't sound very good.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:14 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
thats all well and good if you don't have to drive 3 hours to get to anywhere that sells these.
i have speakers that were $50 300watt 6x9's in the falcon for 4 years and have never had a problem with them,,just because something has a high price does not meen it is a better product..

SPEAKERS ARE NOT ALL ABOUT f**k WATTS!!!!
I can sell you some speakers for 15 bucks that will take more power than your head unit could think about putting out but they will sound like s**t!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alpine-SPS-600-Type-S-Series-6-5-Inch-2-Way-Speaker_W0QQitemZ370349537456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563a8d78b0

Here go buy them and be happy..

naughtyfalcon wrote:

You sir are wrong. I have good 6" pioneer speakers running from my head unit. They sound great, would be better with an amp but to say that they arnt going to sound as good as they should running from a head unit is silly. Most of the speakers (besides high end) are designed to sound good from a head unit. Otherwise no one will buy them if they have to have an amp as well.

naughtyfalcon wrote:
all i was asking was if the speakers would be suitable for the head unit, not how much should i spend.

Thats like asking someone in a gym "is maccas edible?" You know your going to get a lecture on how bad it is for you and how you shouldnt eat it but you asked in a f**k gym!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next