Fordmods Logo

splits in a 5 x 7 hole?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: splits in a 5 x 7 hole??
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Is it possible to fit 6" or 4" component speakers in the 5" x 7" hole of the front doors of my ba falcon, putting the tweeters behind the plastic peice of the side mirror? and where would be a good place for the cross-overs to go ? if anyone has done this could i see a pic of it done , any help would be apprecieated. btw the way, im asking because i have a set of 6" focal speakers from my last ride , and would love to put them in.

The first day i got my licence, was the first day i found out how much cops love to hand out speeding fines!

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

My splits are exactly where you just described, got the six and x-over in where the 5x7 was with a baffle plate and the tweeters in the backs of the mirrors. mind you i didnt do the work i had it installed, but i asked them if it was difficult and they said not at all. easy as.

nascentes morimur

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

nice> gonna have to ring round and find someone to do the install for me, can't wait, sounds like a little bit of work, but should be woth it

The first day i got my licence, was the first day i found out how much cops love to hand out speeding fines!

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

basically, its a matter of making a timber cutout of a 5x7, and then making a hole for your woofer to fit into.

for a 6", im not 100% sure but you may have to modify the door to make them fit, by slightly wideing the hole at its smallest point (ie only 5")

BOOSTED

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

VIC, Australia

i thought BAs just had 6inch in the door?

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

nope 5"x7" all round my friend

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

Before you look too hard at changing/modifying from 5"x7"s, I highly reccomend just upgrading the stock speakers with direct replacement JL 5x7's, there are a few different levels to chose from, but without amplification except from the head unit you will be quite amazed with the low/medium priced ($150) speakers.
I even hooked up a 360w RMS amp, against reccomendation from audio installers and have not had a prob yet, even at very high (30-35 on vol) WITHOUT the power limiter turned on. Just be carefull not to send too much bass to the smaller speakers, thats what the subs are for.

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:47 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've put Hertz HCX-570's in my BF. Hertz also do a 5x7 split. Very worthwhile upgrade, and a direct replacement.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

My 6" splits fitted in the 5x7 holes in the AU door ... and I mounted to tweeter next to driver behind the grille as well ... so it is all hidden.

I had them installed ... and the guys that installed it made up a quick MDF template for it ... they said it was fairly easy anyway.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

kenny wrote:
Before you look too hard at changing/modifying from 5"x7"s, I highly reccomend just upgrading the stock speakers with direct replacement JL 5x7's, there are a few different levels to chose from, but without amplification except from the head unit you will be quite amazed with the low/medium priced ($150) speakers.
I even hooked up a 360w RMS amp, against reccomendation from audio installers and have not had a prob yet, even at very high (30-35 on vol) WITHOUT the power limiter turned on. Just be carefull not to send too much bass to the smaller speakers, thats what the subs are for.

I'm not the biggest fan of 5'x7" speakers, i dont know why but they just dont sound right to me , especially when i have these beautiful focal 6" splits just sitting around, i love the way they sound (music to my ears)
and also what is the deal with the power limiter in the ba? what is the benifit of turning it off, and how is this done??

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

as you scroll thru the menu, there is an option to have PL on or off, this is an inbuilt auto power limiting device to prevent damage to the speakers, its not just a preset EQ setting like most, but reads the signal thru the negative side (return power) from the speaker and lowers the required frequency'(s). Its not bad if you don't have big speakers , and aftermarket amps etc.
As for the sound ,I would have agreed with you not too long ago, but have found that once crossovers (adjustable) are used on all speakers to obtain the sound for you're taste, they have a bigger mid range than you would expect, although I would prefer 6x9's for bigger sound.

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]