Fordmods Logo

stereo doesnt work with lights on. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: stereo doesnt work with lights on.
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

hey all, when i turn my lights on my stereo makes a scrambled noise and then after a few secs my head unit goes into protect mode. this has happened with both head units i have had. i used a multimeter and checked the earth wire on the unit is okay. has anyone had this problem and does anyone know the solution?

thanks guys

Post subject: Re: stereo doesnt work with lights on.
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG Falcon XR6, Nitro Blue

VIC, Australia

just when you turn the lights on?
could be something to do with the dimming feature of the headunit?
incorrect wire connected maybe

Mods are upcoming.

Audio: JVC (KD-R705) headunit, 6" Clarion front splits, 12" Kenwood Sub in sealed box. Kicker 4ch amp running sub and fronts.

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon

QLD, Australia

i would check your earth with the lights on. because its common for the earth in the headunit to be connected to the parklights because it's earth until the lights are on

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

philfree wrote:
i would check your earth with the lights on. because its common for the earth in the headunit to be connected to the parklights because it's earth until the lights are on

ok found out what it was, the tossers who installed the headunit before. that is, the previous owners of the car, ran the rear speaker signal wires right along side the rear driving lights power cable.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Speaker wire levels are to high to get the massive interference you mentioned from having a power wire next to them and there's no way a wire running near it would cause protection mode.

philfree is onto it... A lot of people measure the dimmer wire (dash lights) as 0v because no one wires a stereo up with the lights off... Then when they turn the lights on, the wire that is meant to be ground suddenly changes to 12v and the head unit shuts off or gets toasted.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon

QLD, Australia

yer well i work at an auto elec and the amount of times we have repaired dodged up headunit instals

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
Speaker wire levels are to high to get the massive interference you mentioned from having a power wire next to them and there's no way a wire running near it would cause protection mode.

philfree is onto it... A lot of people measure the dimmer wire (dash lights) as 0v because no one wires a stereo up with the lights off... Then when they turn the lights on, the wire that is meant to be ground suddenly changes to 12v and the head unit shuts off or gets toasted.

well i ran the cables separate from each other and the problem wasnt there anymore so thats what i assumed it was

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
Stone wrote:

well i ran the cables separate from each other and the problem wasnt there anymore so thats what i assumed it was

You must have a bad contact somewhere then because electromagnetic interference to a speaker wire cannot cause a head unit to go into protection mode.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]