stereo in NL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: stereo in NL
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Howdy fellas, the missus has given me the ok to go and get the stereo in the lane next month so im hunting around for a decent stereo system.

Pretty much what i want is a really good deck, one where you can play around with everything, audiuo wise, but must be cd.mp3/dvd. also want splits in the fron (good s**t) speakers in the back, and 2 amps. 1 for speakers and one for subs ( i already have 2x12" clarion subs).

So what could people reccommend! in the price range im looking at under $2k so keep that in mind. really dont want to mix and match unless i have t, so staying with the same brand is good.

So people suggest away, i will be starting to look at systems come sunday, so i want a bit of inside info, so i can stick it to the sales bloke.

cheers

BEN

P.s. i mainly listen to old rock and new rock, so something suited to that would be good.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

hmm, 2 amps, decent fronts, and some rear fill for 2g, hmmm, yea should be able to do it :P maby

first and foremost select your speakers, ur subs are easy as you already have them so then get an amp that will have a bit more power then the 2 subs combined, then look at your interior speakers, id say go with focal for good budget or if you have the money something a little more up market, or if u want to spend less go with alpine type s, they are relativly cheap and still produce good sound, you can use these all round but get some component splits for your front stage, then work out what kind of amp your going to need to drive all your interior speakers. so you will have a mono block for the sub at x watts rms, then a 4ch at x watts rms, then your going to need to work out how to cable it. id reccomend atleast 4 guage cable to a splitter box and run 4g out to each amp then ground it nice and close to your amps in your boot.

and as far as headunits go, well the sky is the limit, look for one thats got all the features you want, and one that is easy to use and above all one that you like. because they all pretty much do the same thing anyway.

id say you might be edging close to that 2g mark :P but should have a little spare to go on ebay and purchase some dynamat extreme to sound deaden your boot with because trust me the boot rattle will give you the s**t :D

just my 2c :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

And here's my 2c worth...

$2k is a fair amount of cash if you've already got subs...

Headunits... I love JVC heads simply because they have a million features and awesome quality but are still easy to use. Seemings you've got a Fairlane you could always get a double din head like the JVC KW-AVX800 or KW-AVX700. They're awesome... However, Alpine is probably the best as far as SQ etc go's.

Speakers... I like Soundstream, Pioneer kevlars, JBL, JL Audio... There's a million different brands that sounds awesome. It's all just a matter of going in a finding a pair that you like the sound and look of.

Amps... I swear by Response amps. They have massive power, great quality sound and a robust design. But, once again, there are a million different brands of amps that sound awesome.

Post up pics when you get the gear! :D

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

cheers for the replies fellas!! i shall take your advive on board.

So do you recommend staying with the same brand through out the whole car?

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:35 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Ben - I don't recommend on staying with the same brand for everything...although it's not always a bad thing either - obviously headunits, cd changers and sometimes amps can all 'talk' to each other on various manufacturer's 'bus' systems - so keep that in mind if wanting to expand the system in the future.

As for brands off the top of my head...

Headunit - Alpine make some really neat units - on par with Pioneer on price for entry / mid level gear IMHO
Speakers - Focal entry level are as good as many higher end anything else.
Amps - Quite a few good amps around nowadays...just steer clear of the unknown crap FOB (fresh off the boat) and stick with your mainstream brands.

Regarding Greg's comment on sound deadening...couldn't agree more - for the ~$200 or so it will make front staging sound upto 50% better IMHO.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah i will be planning to sound deaden the car.

cheers for the advice people. still hunting around havin a look and trying to organise what i like.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]