Fordmods Logo

Sub And Amp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Sub And Amp
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

g'day guys looking at getting a sub for the falcon as i think the 4 speakers just arn't enough. iv'e had this topic before and i want it to go into the parcel shelf. so something like this http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Car% ... W841D.aspx now the question is. is that free to air as i cannot tell if it is or isnt and specs cannot work them out.

also an amp to power something like that. as i am a newbie to this sort of stuff. links and pic's would be great.

thanks in advance.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

That sub is made for a box. The recommended volume enclosure is 11L, so you could make a small box under the parcel shelf or find another sub that is made to be run FREE AIR.

The power rating of that sub is 120Wrms (500Wmax) and has a 4 ohm voice coil so you'd want an amp that makes around 100-150Wrms at 4 ohm. Most small 2 channel amps will do this easily when bridged. If you like Pioneer the GM-3300T makes 150Wrms x 1 at 4 ohm and would suit it perfectly.

I'd have to say that a single 8" sub in a large sedan isn't going to add all that much... It will help out the stock speakers but won't provide large amounts of bass.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

i beg to differ because its in the parcel tray it is twice as loud because there is no obstruction and it can rebound off the back window.

Futhermore i think all pioneer's main line of subs come both free to air and enclosed it will say it on the box. Strathfield used to sell them last i looked.

If you want to put it in the parcel tray then you MUST buy a free to air or mount a box underneath it

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

i had one of these in my old ef ghia, free to air in the shelf and ran it off the factory ford amp. i was well pleased with it. For bang for your buck i think it is a great choice. I chose this one as it fits over an LPG tank. and it still worked fine.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just a though enclosure subs don't have to be boxed (just in case someone points this out) but they sound crap and half the life of the sub

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Even if it is as loud as two 8" subs, that is still not very loud. It will be quieter than the equivalent 12".

It's been about 3 years since Pioneer have had enclosed and free air versions in the same range. They don't even have any free air subs in their current range.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

really? My dad had one in his EF XR8 and it was as loud as two mid range 12" subs. They have to be tuned right. Sub was a pioneer as well

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

howsie wrote:
just a though enclosure subs don't have to be boxed (just in case someone points this out) but they sound crap and half the life of the sub

Subs made for enclosures have been designed to sound good with a certain air suspension which is caused by a box. Without this suspension, all the design work goes out the window and it's just a speaker flapping in the wind :p Meaning it won't sound like it was designed to sound :)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

howsie wrote:
really? My dad had one in his EF XR8 and it was as loud as two mid range 12" subs. They have to be tuned right. Sub was a pioneer as well

Yeah, it's physics... Two 8" subs have a surface area of about 100sq inches. One 12" sub has a surface area of about 110sq inches. The more area, the more air moved, the louder the sound. This is comparing the same brand and model of subs in the same mounting position. Obviously, different brands/models mounted in different locations are going to give different results.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
howsie wrote:

Yeah, it's physics... Two 8" subs have a surface area of about 100sq inches. One 12" sub has a surface area of about 110sq inches. The more area, the more air moved, the louder the sound. This is comparing the same brand and model of subs in the same mounting position. Obviously, different brands/models mounted in different locations are going to give different results.

See the way i see it (and i do understand what your saying) is that one 8" in the parcel tray is just as loud as 2 x 12" in the boot as the seat and tray obstruct the sound. Unless your going to enter comps or want really serious bass a 8" in the tray (just for helping the speakers sound better) would be a huge improvement

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Yeah, I agree it will be an improvement over nothing and will blend well with stock speakers but isn't going to give huge bass.

The seats and parcel shelf block very little sound as sub frequencies pass through things like that very easily. I had my rear seats and parcel shelf stripped out while I was deadening and there was very little difference in sub volume in the cabin.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
Yeah, I agree it will be an improvement over nothing and will blend well with stock speakers but isn't going to give huge bass.

The seats and parcel shelf block very little sound as sub frequencies pass through things like that very easily. I had my rear seats and parcel shelf stripped out while I was deadening and there was very little difference in sub volume in the cabin.

Yeah i think it mainly the sound reflecting off the back window and it depends on the car if i put the seats down in the BA it is muck louder. I can't remember exactly why the sound reflecting makes a difference though.

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]