Fordmods Logo

Subwoofer 8" replacement 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Subwoofer 8" replacement
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I tried a search but mustn't be typing the right key words.
My EL's factory subwoofer is pretty much shagged and I would like to know who makes an 8" subwoofer that will fit straight into the original slot on the parcel shelf. Or must I get or build some mount for an aftermarket subwoofer to fit?
I will also be using the factory amp to power it.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Post subject: Re: Subwoofer 8" replacement
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hold the phone.

Looks like JL Audio do one that is a direct replacement and requires no modifications.

JL Audio 8W1

Nominal Diameter 8.0 in. / 200 mm

Overall Diameter (A) 8.54 in. / 217 mm

Mounting Hole Diameter (B) 7.09 in. / 180 mm

Bolt Hole Circle (C) 7.85 in. / 199 mm

Magnet Diameter (D) 4.54 in. / 115 mm

Mounting Depth (E) 3.85 in. / 98 mm

Anyone else using one of these?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

nope but i got an 8" phillips sub for $60 and its a great, shakes the whole car on stock components

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have an 8" shallow mount Pioneer... Doesn't into the boot at all... Shakes great considering it probably is designed for a small sealed box... It was a nice fit in the hole but I had to drill holes for the mounting bolts... It has 6 and factory is 4 or something like that and I have a small (250W? :? ) Kenwood amp up under the parcel tray too to drive it... Suits me fine because I don't need any monsters rolling around the boot...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I have an 8" shallow mount Pioneer... Doesn't into the boot at all... Shakes great considering it probably is designed for a small sealed box... It was a nice fit in the hole but I had to drill holes for the mounting bolts... It has 6 and factory is 4 or something like that and I have a small (250W? :? ) Kenwood amp up under the parcel tray too to drive it... Suits me fine because I don't need any monsters rolling around the boot...

Cheers,
Tim

That looks really good, I like the whole LED thing...stock boot light is a little hopeless.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Heya Phong...

Yeah may came up pretty good and is still practical... Some days though I wish I had a bigger toolbox and others I wish I have more boot space so for a general average that one seems to work ok... All the audio gear is out of sight out of mind... Custom made cables for everything... The RCA cable is screened on top of the hot and cold signals and I get no audible interference... Powered from my jumper pack in the bottom which is charged at up to 60 amps from the front battery/alternator... Also gives me somewhere to plug my WAECO in without flattening the battery... On the odd occasion I need my WAECO anyway... As far as the LED goes I love it... stock boot like was BS... Not sure what the EL has but these strip of 5050 SMD's is great... All in my build thread anyway...

Thanks mate,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

If it's just the speaker cone foam that's shagged, you can replace it:
ford-interior-f14/factory-subwoofer-manufacturer-t99408.html

I've repaired a factory 8" sub about 6 mths ago - works fine.
Got the replacement foam through these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/QUEENSLAND-SP ... 4340.l2563

The factory one is a free air type, so ensure your replacement if you get one is suited too - plenty of info online about this.
I did build a sealed box for the factory 8", sounds pretty good - again box dimensions are easy to find online.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

What's the best way to remove the fabric that is fitted over the parcel shelf? I'd like to keep the original look of the parcel shelf and just fit the subwoofer in the original slot without cutting up or accidentally rearing the original fabric.
I tried peeling it slowly from the edges but it feels as though it will tear.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah I didn't cut a hole in my fabric... Just sits under it...

Take of the c pillar trims, the centre seat belt cover if an EA-ED, the rear speakers and any mounting bolts for child restraints and it should just lift up and hang down over the back seats...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nope, this is an EL. It looks like the fabric is snug under the glass so it's not going to fold out.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

ive got a kenwood 8" (will be selling very soon) thats direct replacement just drop it in and connect it up

TimmyA wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

mate thats brillant as my factory boot lite even with a super high bright Cree bulb in there still cant light up the boot at all really im so doing that

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
Nope, this is an EL. It looks like the fabric is snug under the glass so it's not going to fold out.

It should be easy to remove...not sure if you have to remove the brake light though...can't remember from the top of my head. I removed mine to put my custom shelf on and don't remember ripping mine. I think a bit of glass glue may have gotten through and stuck itself to some parts of the carpet?

If you rip it...I have a spare one for you :wink: should still be intact.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yep, the carpet over the shelf should come out fairly easy. You'll have to take out the rear speakers, pop out the 2 round clips that hold the carpet down to the shelf and undo the child seat anchor point thingy (held in by an allen key bolt). Fold the rear seats down, remove the plastic rear shock upper access covers and then lift the carpet up from there which you'll find is lightly glued down to the folded down section of the shelf. Then just manoeuvre the carpet out of its place and let it rest while you remove/refit the sub.

Removing the C-pillar trims is optional, I managed to get it done in my EF without removing them but it's a b**ch trying to get the carpet back into place once you're ready to refit seeing as the carpet has to slide up underneath them. With a bit of slight forcing, it's do-able though. The material is relatively tough so you shouldn't have an issue with tearing it.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Okay, the old subby is out and the new one is in. Mind you, the new subby is slightly different to the commercial piccy I posted previously which I'm guessing is because it's a slightly different version. As such the holes did not line up. :roll:
But anyway, the new subby is in.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Nice work :wink:. How's the system sound now with the new sub?

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next