Fordmods Logo

Subwoofer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Subwoofer
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2005 BF XR6

NSW, Australia

I was just replacing the rear speakers in the ED and noticed whilst in the boot that there's a hole in the back deck where it looks as if a sub is supposed to sit. Is this the case? What sized sub fits the hole?

Being an amatuer when it come to car audio i'm wondering how i'd go about fitting a subwoofer. Can it be run straight from a head unit or is an amp required, bearing in mind I don't want to deafen people with doof doof music. What sort of insulation would be required for a sub, because of the large amounts of movement and low sounds they produce.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

You will need an amp to power that sub, I can't remember it's size, something like 8 inches, I don't know. I do know that a sub came with EF/EL Fairmont Ghias and LTDs premium stereo, but I know not of anything before that. The Ford sub doesn't have a box around it or anything but if you put a good one in, you would want to insulate areas that rattle, perhaps.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 ED Futura

NSW, Australia

Ford sub? Have I missed something? I have an ED and I've never found a 'ford sub' in the back of my car? Where exactly is it?

1994 ED Futura
15" Alloys
Kenwood Deck
15" JVC Sub
6" Fusion Splits

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

When I say Ford Sub I'm reffering to the little buzzer you get in an EF/EL. It uses that hole.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah I see it now, in between the two 6" in the parcel shelf. Never noticed it before.

1994 ED Futura
15" Alloys
Kenwood Deck
15" JVC Sub
6" Fusion Splits

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

That's the thing i'm on about, was it actually meant to house a subwoofer? I've seen subs with and without boxes, what difference does the box make?

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Whislt I'm not expert, boxes give better SQ,bass and less movement.

IMO I wouldn't put a sub in there

1994 ED Futura
15" Alloys
Kenwood Deck
15" JVC Sub
6" Fusion Splits

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Out of interest if I were to in future add 6x9" speakers is there any structural reason for not cutting the rear deck? I know the seatbelts run through bolted on parts on the parcel shelf, would cutting it to fit the 6x9s compromise their safety?

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the sub that was meant to go there is a 8" free-air sub. Free-air subs do not require a box and use less power to produce the same amount of sound level. Downside to Free-Air is that the bass is more muffled rather then clear and their movement is just crazy and therefor the control over the subs movement is limited more then a sub in a box.

Subs in a box produce clearer sound but do not produce much Sound Pressure Level (SPL)...SPL is only for people who like to have a high dB reading. Sound Quality (SQ) is obtained mainly through enclosed subs.

Enclosed subs which are ported, I think, are used for SPL as well but do have a clearer sound over the Free-Air.

I personally prefer Free-Air since it saves a lot of space and yet you still get bass out of it. I have 2 x 10" free airs but they are yet to go in.

It's up to you what you want for your sub. SQ or SPL.

For you question about 6x9s...it is illegal to cut the metal shelf itself...so I suggest you not cut it. Another way for you to do it is by raising the carpet cover with some spacers and then put the 6x9s in or just make a custom one. Custom would obviously require more work but it looks so much better then a spacer.

Anyways good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The spacer is like a little ring that you screw on and then screw the speaker to isn't it? Is there any specifications on speakers that let's you know the depth of them. I don't mind if the speakers sit a bit higher then the surrounding surface but I don't want them sitting more then about 5cm higher.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
The spacer is like a little ring that you screw on and then screw the speaker to isn't it? Is there any specifications on speakers that let's you know the depth of them. I don't mind if the speakers sit a bit higher then the surrounding surface but I don't want them sitting more then about 5cm higher.

Yes they are just some material which are screwed down to the existing hole and then then you screw the speakers to the spacer.

I think spacers are about 5cm or so depending on depth. but 6x9s may sit a lot higher...check out some auto places, they sell them in packets of 2 or singles. They do look ugly though IMO.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well i'd hide the spacer under the carpet so it probably wouldn't look too bad.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

when the stereo was originally installed in my car i think the install was done by alberts and they cut my parcel shelf to fit the 6x9s in

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Phong 's right: its an 8". I put a 10" in there by mounting it from underneath. I didn't even cut a hole in the carpet. Looks f**k funny when you crank it and the kids have left one of their toys or something on the parcel shelf: jumps around all over the place :lol: :lol:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]