Fordmods Logo

SUBWOOFERS MATE 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: SUBWOOFERS MATE
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Eb

VIC, Australia

Yeah being the d***head i am i already posted this about 5 mins ago in another place , anyways me and my cousin are trying to find 10 inch subs which are free air to put in the rear parcel shelfs of our cars, any help would be gr8.

Thanks > :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

What car are you planning to run them in and if you do a search for free air or 8/10" woofers, plenty of lads on here have asked the same question in the past

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Seriously dont bother with a free air mounted to the parcel shelf unless you love the sound of rattles and buzzing with no real bass. The better option is a 10" in a sealed enclosure. Your mate with the Fairmont ghia can run it straight from the factory amp with no problems and will notice a huge difference. Look in my gallery, its only a JL 10" but works quite well and can be moved to use the boot. You can go bigger than a 10" but then of course you loose alot of boot space.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Seriously dont bother with a free air mounted to the parcel shelf unless you love the sound of rattles and buzzing with no real bass. The better option is a 10" in a sealed enclosure. Your mate with the Fairmont ghia can run it straight from the factory amp with no problems and will notice a huge difference. Look in my gallery, its only a JL 10" but works quite well and can be moved to use the boot. You can go bigger than a 10" but then of course you loose alot of boot space.

I have free-air subs and they give good bass...just not very clear...all bloody muffled haha. So if you are after sound quality, enclosed is the way to go, but if you just want that extra oomph, a parcel shelf should do fine or even 6x9s.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Phong dont do the 69 mate.... oops the 6X9. They are big, ugly, and a bit of work to fit in an E series as you cant cut the parcel shelf. Phong i should have showed you mine at the Island i think you would have been surprised from a 10". Sub that is!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

Free to air subs are fine you just need a decent head deck and amp to run them.

The people who claim that their not very clear either listen to the wrong types of music on them or haven't tuned the amp properly.

My dad had one in a EF XR8 and it sounded great, with as much bass as my laser used to have with a 1000watt sub in it

as a general rule:-

8-10" - Rock, Metal and other fast paced music

12" - Good all round

15" - Only good for RNB and similar types of music (becasue rebound time is too slow)

Obviously 12" and 15" are usually enclosed. But not always there are free to air 12" subs (pioneer make them)

BTW sorry if anyone's offended by my first comment it was not intended

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

joolz wrote:

honestly, free to air is s**t!!!

as a sugestion, i have done alot of custom installations in the past. sealed is much better than isobaric or free to air, but it just depends on what you want to hear. if you heard the difference then sealed enclosures would be your first choice. sealed has a better tighter bass and higher db output (i have isnstalled a few db drag race winning enclosures including 3x12" @ 2000w subs into an astra hatch) but a sealed enclosure will repoduce the signal perfectly.

edit: if you dont want a sealed sub box enclosure in the boot i would sugest a full sized box enclosure mounted under the parcel shelf. any enthusiest should be able to design the litre capacity for each speaker. -if you were in QLD i could design it myself. but as basic's go, if you build a sealed enclosure to suit the sub responce, then you will get more db with a higher quality sound repoduction.

i have never heard of carbonfibre sub boxes but its something i would like to try, mdf is perfect for sealing the enclosure but glass fibre is a good alturnative to save weight.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:08 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

howsie wrote:
Free to air subs are fine you just need a decent head deck and amp to run them.

The people who claim that their not very clear either listen to the wrong types of music on them or haven't tuned the amp properly.

My dad had one in a EF XR8 and it sounded great, with as much bass as my laser used to have with a 1000watt sub in it

as a general rule:-

8-10" - Rock, Metal and other fast paced music

12" - Good all round

15" - Only good for RNB and similar types of music (becasue rebound time is too slow)

Obviously 12" and 15" are usually enclosed. But not always there are free to air 12" subs (pioneer make them)

BTW sorry if anyone's offended by my first comment it was not intended

and just to add kenwood make the free to air sub the model number is kfc - w3011

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ef

SA, Australia

plus with sub and box packages to be had for under 100 bucks, why waste your time looking for something that is going to be more expensive, harder to find and install and sound 50 times worse?

there are three types of people in this world:
those that can count and those that can't

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]