Fordmods Logo

Swapping EF Gli Head Unit 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Swapping EF Gli Head Unit
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon 1996

WA, Australia

Hi all, i want to swap the head unit in my Ford Falcon EF GLi (1996)

I have my radio code and everything, how exactly do i get it out? And how to i install a new one? Do i just slot it in to a bay + plug or is there a s**t of wiring to do etc?

I am electronically minded so i will understand most things, dont try and tone down what you say.

Also, with swapping speakers, can i just remove the stock ones in the door and up the back and replace with others of the same size? (eg, from stock to sony gear)

Thanks Heaps.
Subaru.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

i just did all this on my sound system. To remove the headunit, you first have to pull the ashtray out (it says how to do this in the car manual thing). After you've pulled this out if you look where it came from there should be a screw, which you then unscrew (doh). from here you just pull the bottom of that piece of plastic fascia outwards, as there is a clip that undoes on the bottom right of the panel. After this has come out you will need to undo the plastic bracket on the back of the cigarette lighter. Once this is out you can lift the bottom up to the roof so it comes to 90degrees with its original position, from here it will just slide out.

now to undo the headunit you need a this weird torque tool, you will see when you get to it. After undoing these screws it should slide out. Once it has slid out you will need to remove the plastic wiring harnesses from the back. Now in most cases these will NOT fit in you new head unit, so you will have to cut them and then attach through soldering or some other method to the corresponding wires from the wiring harness supplied with head unit. Make sure none of the wires have bare wire showing, if they do you must use heat shrink or electrical tape, ie if wires are showing they could short the circuit.

As for the speakers, there are 6in speakers in both the front and rear of car, and in both cases these can be replaced with 6in aftermarket speakers.

As for using sony i would highly recommend using another brand unless you have already purchased them. Im running pioneer 6850 headunit, 6's n 6x9's at the moment and for the price i paid they go off. I would also recommend getting 6x9's for the back if you aren't getting a sub.

hope that helps,
nick

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I had problems fitting Sony speakers to the rear of my EL when I had it because the factory speakers have a screw every 120 degrees where most aftermarket ones are designed for every 90 degrees. You may have to drill an extra hole or two in the speaker to make it fit.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

NEVER drill your speakers
If your speakers dont have the holes for every 120 degrees there are a coulpe of things you can do. First thing you can do is buy something called baffle plates. These are just a 9 or 12mm MDF ring. What i did was drilled extra holes in them (120 deg) and bolted that to the original. Then used some short screws and screwed the speaker in. I later decided that i did not like the look of this so i just drilled ne holes in the parcel shelf. Usure if thats legal or not.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

hahaa how about you dont get sony :D

pioneer speakers have the thing to fit every 120 degrees

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

yeah ide steer clear of the car sony gear if u can some may like them but i just find them cheep looking and fairley ordanary as a speeker. i have bostons in the front doors and they used origanal holes and all any hastles with the deck send me a pm but its pritty straight foward

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon 1996

WA, Australia

OK. Thanks for your feedback.

Seems that most people are saying Sony car gear is crap. I was shocked to hear this, as Sony is almost the top electronics manufacturer in the world.

I think Pioneer or Alpine will be the way to go ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF2 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Bit of a low down on car audio brands.
-btw i like alpine type r's

Quote:
The Players
These are the high-quality names that aren't particularly well known on the street, compared to the mainstream players.
Brands you should be aware of, know a little about, try and audition but may be a little harder to track down.
These companies either manufacture car-audio components (amps, speakers, cabling)
exclusively, and if not, are nonetheless regarded as producers of extremely high quality in-car gear (ie, JBL).
You should note, most manufacturers have multiple product lines, pitched at different budgets and thus, quality.
Sometimes quite sharply. Alpines F1 status gear, for example, is right up at the top of the sound quality chain,
while their more marketable gear (lowest range) could be called overpriced.

The Mainstream
These are the brands that everybody's heard of. Brands heavily advertised, and easily obtained.
Some fantastic brands fall into this genre (Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, etc), and may suit your ears more than the above.
Brands in this category are generally more readily available in stores nationwide.
It should be noted that many of these brands make some GREAT top-end stuff.
Their inclusion as "mainstream" brands is not meant as a reference to "inferior quality".
In a few cases, brands in this segment are more "Average" in quality, but certainly not all.

Exotica
The even rarer. The even more expensive. The even better. Brands again, not commonly heard of.
Perhaps not really worth your time tracking down to listen to unless you have a massive budget,
and quite simply, want the best of the best. It should be noted, some of the "players" and even "mainstream"
companies, make some extremely high quality product lines (such as alpines F1 status, or the Hertz Mille, or Morel Supremo)
that aren't well known even by people familiar with their more popular gear.

"Cheap as Chips"
Generally dont perform as advertised.
You find these in "bargain basement" packages, or being hawked on ebay for outlandish profit.
Great for people with less than $100 for a set of speakers, who dont want to buy secondhand, or have
absolutely no sense of quality or taste in their music. Sure, they'll make noise, but not for long, and not very loud.
Some brands, such as BOSS, have a reputation for literally blowing up. Steer Clear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Players
μ-Dimension
A/D/S
Aerpro (Car Audio Accessories. Cabling, etc)
Adire
Alphasonic
ARC Audio
Audiocontrol
Audison
Audison Connect (Car Audio Accessories. Cabling, etc).
AudioSystem
Axis
Brax
Boston Acoustics
Calibre
Cerwin Vega
Crossfire
Diamond Audio
Digital Designs
DLS
Dynaudio
Earthquake
Eton
Focal
Hertz
Hifonics
Image Dynamics
JBL
JL audio
Kicker
Lotus
Mb Quart
Memphis
Morel
Orion
Oz audio
Phass
Pheonix gold
Polk
PPI
Rainbow
RE Audio
Scanspeak
Sinfoni
Soundstream
SoundSplinter
Stinger (Car Audio Accessories. Cabling, dash facias, distro's, etc).
Streetwires (Car Audio Accessories).
Treo
Tru Technology
VDO dayton
Vibe
Vifa (strictly speaking not car-audio specific, but becoming more commonly used, tweeters in particular).
Xtant
Zapco

The Mainstream
Alpine. (Great headunits, Top of the line F1 status gear, is divine, but very expensive).
AudioBahn
BlauPunkt
Cadence
Clarion
Coustic
Eclipse (FANTASTIC headunits, amps, speakers).
Fusion
Infinity
Jaycar
JVC
Kenwood (very average headunits. Some nice double-din screens though)
Lightning Audio
MTX Audio.
Panasonic. (Make average headunits, speakers, etc).
Pioneer. (Make great headunits. Ditto alpine, great top of line gear, but getting up there in price).
Rockford Fosgate
Sony. (Latest gear, and old school stuff fine. See notes below on their "Xplod" range).

Exotica. The really expensive, really good, and/OR really rare.
AudioQuest. (amps)
Becker-energy. (Amps.
Genisis. (amps)
Mcintosh Labs.
Milbert. Extremely high end amps
Nakamichi. Extremely high end "purist" SQ headunits.
Alpine's F1 status components. In a league of their own from the regular alpine gear.
Pioneer's ODR components. Ditto.
Valveaudio. Hand-made amps.

Cheap As Chips.
STAY AWAY from these brands, wherever possible.
Altec. (note, NOT Altec Lansing, which is half-decent, but dont make car audio).
American Boss
AudioLine.
AudioPipe.
Boss audio. (Aka, fire hazards.)
Daewoo
DHD.
Fly Audio
Focus.
Funky Sound
Jensen.
Legacy
Marriola
Pyle
Pyramid
Rampage
Rockwood. (Cheap "rockford fosgate" / Kenwood" ripoffs).
SoundSTORM. (soundstream rip-off)
Sony "Xplod" range *only*. (Avoid gear pre-05'. Apparently, 05' onwards sony has come good again.)
SPL
US audio
V12.
Valveaudio ON EBAY ONLY (speakers etc. cheap ripoff. Valveaudio handmade amps, are very exotica).
V-tek
Yokohama

Cobra Motorsports

1996 EF2 Fairmont Ghia For Sale

Post subject: EF JVC HEAD UNIT WIRING
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

JUST GOT A 95 EF TOOK OUT THE OLD HEAD UNIT SNIPPED ALL THE WIRES, HOOKED UP THE JVC Head Unit, now the opening and closing button for the central locking and boot release is not working...

ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO FIX IT

Post subject: EF JVC HEAD UNIT WIRING
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

JUST GOT A 95 EF TOOK OUT THE OLD HEAD UNIT SNIPPED ALL THE WIRES, HOOKED UP THE JVC Head Unit, now the opening and closing button for the central locking and boot release is not working...

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

yeah i just put one in my ef, but for some reason the umm, the bacl light of the clock dosent work?

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF OPT20

SA, Australia

Quote:
just put one in my ef .... the bacl light of the clock dosent work?
Unless you played around with other wiring at the same time I'd put it down to coincidence as the 2 aren't connected. Will just be a blown globe in the clock.

'94 EF GLI
Dash Mat
Color-coded Ashtray
Polished Wheel Nuts

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef xr6

NSW, Australia

umm how the hell did u manage that?? all u have to do is connect power, memory, the speakers and earth it........what wires did u cut??????

Bushyxr6

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Subaru wrote:
OK. Thanks for your feedback.

Seems that most people are saying Sony car gear is crap. I was shocked to hear this, as Sony is almost the top electronics manufacturer in the world.

I think Pioneer or Alpine will be the way to go ;)

sony make decent home audio but absoloutely f**k attrocious car audio gear

Banned

Post subject: Re: EF JVC HEAD UNIT WIRING
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Chevy38 wrote:

maybe start a new thread instead of mining an older one just to post your own question????

anyway, does your interior light work?

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]