the Monte audio build thread 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: the Monte audio build thread
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

hey guys and gals, looking to upgrade my 94 Ef Faimonts audio from bare stock to more modest luxury sound. She is not a ghia, so I have 2 in the dash, 6" stock fronts and rears, no amp. The plan is to have it a stock looking car with all audio mods and not damage to the body. All on a family guys budget with 2 kids and one on the way.
I took the brand new Sony relatively high end mp3 player out of the Xg I bought then sold and chucked it in the ef. It has 4 out for the amp, nice display, loud function and an inbuilt high/low crossover ( very handy). Its mounted to be flush to the cars fascia, but because of the size of the stereo hole from stock the mp3 needs to be fine tuned to be more to my standards.
Then the plan was to have all 6" upgrades leaving the stock look and new tweeters. Unfortunately I found a set of jbl 6.5 3 ways (125w rms, carbon fibre cone) for $62 delivered.......... well the stock look got a shaking because I was not going to let that one go. I also grabed a set of Sony shallow 6" 2 ways for $25 delivered from ryda. The sonys went on to the front doors, they only handle 35w rms, but with the amp I have to use I will be running 4 channels to the front, leaving all auotonomy to the sounds out on the fronts. I wanted something with a mid sound that would not compete with the tweeters. Non amped they are alright for $25, but I will be replacing them if required. The jbl's are mounted on an 18mm board at the moment and are sweet stock, but you can hear the potential when amped. I have drilled 8 holes in total and ran bolts through speaker/spacer/ shelf. I have kept a set of 6" spacers out of the el wagon I had. They are metal and angled to a max height of about 3cm, meaning the 6.5 still wont fit. I have cut an exact copy of the spacer and screwed a 16mm board to them.
To come, I have just bought an 8" Alpine sub off gumtree for $20 delivered, female owner. I am going to remove the shelf covers and cut an exact copy of the spacers for the 6.5's in the hope the padding will be 16mm thick. The spacers will be carpeted anyway to cover any imperfection's, colour uncertain. I will also cut out an 8" hole to completely show the subs speaker and heat glue a metal mesh cover to the carpet from underneath. With the padding the same size I hope to get no rattle. I am also wondering to put ports for the 8" ( depends on the sub performance) sub into the holes designed for tweeters on the shelf.
The amps are 1. Phillips dap something 4 channel,60w rms amp. Its cover is like brushed ally. I got it out of the Magna i had. Performs ok, ran Sony 4way 6x9's no drama.2. Weconic 4 channel chrome amp with built in thermo fan on face. Got it for $30 off ebay and found out the 75w rms out is stable for long periods in excess of 85w. Modest sound from both amps, but are reliable and cheap. They will be mounted on a 16mm board bolted to the plastic covers for the arches. The timber I got from breaking down my kids desk ( it was replaced and too good to waste), the colour is teak on one side and chipboard bare on the other. The amps will be mounted to the board down low to maximize air flow. They will be on the teak side with all cables running through wire sleeves. The cipboard side will be carpeted the same colour as the boot. This will maximize boot space and conceal any chance of a pram or something the misses has thrown into the boot hitting the amps or getting cought in the wires, while looking stockish. All cables will be ran through the arch brace/s for the amps hopefully with no drilling. So to access the amps you will have to drop the rear seat. I have covers on the rear to protect them from the kids, so I will be allowing access past the amps to undo the rear cover. It will have been a cheap job but hopefully a good one. Not too much extra weight with all cables concealed and a relatively stock look.
Cables are to come, I have the + feed 8 guage and speaker wire but I will need more wire. I also will need a 2 way out feed for the 8 guage + and rca cables. I am going to use 2 earth cables from a loom I had around for the earths, I am thinking of mounting them to the rear centre belt bolt and I have the original rubber protector to go over the connection. Even if I have to file back the shelf around the bolt its close and neat.Lastly I have a pair of nice tweeters out of a set of Phillips speakers. They are 6 ohm 100w rms and I think the amp will handle them. The Weconic will run the rears and bridged sub and the Phillips amp will run the 4 fronts

Post subject: Re: the Monte audio build thread
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Hey I bought some tweeters for my car. Can I just cross wire them to the door speakers you reckon?

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

^^ if I read ur post I'll be here all nite lmao

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
Hey I bought some tweeters for my car. Can I just cross wire them to the door speakers you reckon?

this is the second time you have asked this question is someone elses thread, how about you start your own thread and then someone may answer your question :twisted:

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]