Fordmods Logo

to amp or not to amp? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: to amp or not to amp?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

trying to figure out if i want to amp my sound when i get around to it. a guy i know just put his all in and it sounds real good. dont really want a sub tho.

i'd be looking at a 4x50 head with 4 6 inches all round.
what sort of amp and speakers should i look for? and a rough price would be good too. I'd get jaycar responce stuff, i think.

Cheers

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

if your not going to get a sub, you are better off getting 6x9's in the back, just to fill in that lower note, then fill the fronts with either 6" splits or 6" 3-ways to fill in that high note.

as for amps you could get one of these, they are cheap and only made to power small stuff

http://www.soundstream.com/intl-amplifi ... wonder.htm

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if your not going to get a sub, you are better off getting 6x9's in the back, just to fill in that lower note, then fill the fronts with either 6" splits or 6" 3-ways to fill in that high note.

as for amps you could get one of these, they are cheap and only made to power small stuff

*EDIT: soz bout double post (site seemed to crash again)

Last edited by Razor7107 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

No offence to owners of jaycar stuff but i really dont like there gear...

In the end mate ruling factor is always gonna be budget...forgettin an amp how much do u wanna spent on the front speakers....the rears ??

If oyur not having subs are you wanting punch midrang/middbass drivers in the rear shelf or happy wih the bass/low frequencies from a good set of 6x9/5x7 etc......

just no point in saying yeah amp it if you only get like $150 splits that only put out 45w RMS when ya HU would power these fine and running off an amp wouldnt really be worth it....howerver is u got like $300+ speakers that wanted 60w RMS+ then obviously the HU will under power them and amping would be the only way to go...then you have to consider your budget for the amp....cables...fuse/fuse block...terminals etc etc

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:

hehe didnt see ya just got in before me :p

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

always do kev, snooze ya loose :P

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well thats the idea of me asking.

i want to keep the sound looking stock if i can so i want 6 inch all round. wanted your advise on what output amp and what rating for the speakers.

was thinking Responce Kevlars (75rms) or something or the standards (35rms). so what type of amp and what power will i be looking at?

And kev i dont need to blow the clothes off women like your sound does...

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
well thats the idea of me asking.

i want to keep the sound looking stock if i can so i want 6 inch all round. wanted your advise on what output amp and what rating for the speakers.

was thinking Responce Kevlars (75rms) or something or the standards (35rms). so what type of amp and what power will i be looking at?

And kev i dont need to blow the clothes off women like your sound does...

hehe nah thaths cool mate...well again I need to know ya budget..ya after goodclear sound but wanting to keep things stock....if ya happy with the standard response then thered be no need for an amp as the output from ya HU channels would be more thn sufficient...if you choose to go bigger than say 45wRMS then i would be amping....

If i were you id spent the extra get ya 6" kevlars...since there 75w RMS id go with this
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0426&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595 response 4x100w amplifier..should be more than enought to drive all 4 speakers..on the cheap only $299.95

But again depends what ya wanna spend on speakers

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The response prescion 6x9
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2328&CATID=&keywords=kevlar&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID= $140

Their 80w RMS so will go well with the above amp anf are pretty good for the $$$.

If tho ya wanting to stay stock size so u can use the exisint speaker covers or something the prescision response 6.5" 2 way co-axials would be the next go at around $100-120

6" Kevlars were 60w RMS so also will run fine off the amp and fit nice n snug...@ $139

So all up for around $540+ for terminals and some cabling...wont need much...pretty cheap beginners system on a budget and wont sound to shabby either

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah thats the idea, cheap but enough to make a bita noise. Thanks heaps kev

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
yeah thats the idea, cheap but enough to make a bita noise. Thanks heaps kev

no probs dude anytime let us know how it turns out be interesting to see know it sounds if u end up with that setup...

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Falcon XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

I would suggest anything from JL. Will cost a little more the Jaycar gear, but you are also getting a much speakers and amps. The JL splits would be great up front cause you can direct the tweeter and a pair of 2-ways at the back. Amp wise the JL Slash-Series 300/4 should be enough to get those speakers going.

Anyway, have a good one
Ciao

_Gianni_

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

19concorde wrote:
I would suggest anything from JL. Will cost a little more the Jaycar gear, but you are also getting a much speakers and amps. The JL splits would be great up front cause you can direct the tweeter and a pair of 2-ways at the back. Amp wise the JL Slash-Series 300/4 should be enough to get those speakers going.

Anyway, have a good one
Ciao

yeh thsi will also do but for now hes just after an effective setup thats still gonna remain cost effective. i dislike the jaycar stuff but it will suit what hes after

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

If you've got room in your budget I'd amp them, I've often found that even if it's not any lounder, they sound better and the sound sounds more fuller when there's aa little amp on the front speakers. MBut maybe it's just me dreaminnng, or making up s**t, I dunno...

Personalyl I've yet to find a difference thatmy ears are capable of noticing between an expensive set (i'm not talking overly expensive - such as some Alpiine or Piioneer spllits I've had which were like $300 retail) of speakers and an average (decent name brand set - such as Fusion or Clarion splits I've had that cost just over $100.00) when run off a small amp or headunit. I'm sure if I was putting big power through them, and did a fancy set up and what not it might make some difference, but for my average/budget setups I've found none.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
If you've got room in your budget I'd amp them, I've often found that even if it's not any lounder, they sound better and the sound sounds more fuller when there's aa little amp on the front speakers. MBut maybe it's just me dreaminnng, or making up s**t, I dunno...

Personalyl I've yet to find a difference thatmy ears are capable of noticing between an expensive set (i'm not talking overly expensive - such as some Alpiine or Piioneer spllits I've had which were like $300 retail) of speakers and an average (decent name brand set - such as Fusion or Clarion splits I've had that cost just over $100.00) when run off a small amp or headunit. I'm sure if I was putting big power through them, and did a fancy set up and what not it might make some difference, but for my average/budget setups I've found none.

Nah ya aint talking s**t :P .... amping can improve the quality of what youd hear...BUT comes down to what ya head unit is capable of and its specifications....obviously an amp is gonna allow you depnding on the quality and feautres of the amp to setup your crossover/speaker frequency for individual or bridged channels....you can boost subs etc with gain and bass controls....all this tho can be done from a HU....if the HU has a decent equaliser then that would be more than enough tweaking there without really needing an amp for the extra tuning. amps can provide a better S/N ratio (Signal to noise ratio) ... so yes generally amping can provide you a lil boost in calarity, extra power and slight tuning benifits...but a cheap amp may not have these functions and a better HU or amp would be required to get there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next