trying to figure how to install aftermarket head unit 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: trying to figure how to install aftermarket head unit
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon 97 EL wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

I'm very new to all this and have been searching for ages for info on how to install an aftermarket head unit into my 97 EL wagon. I've gathered from other threads there is a wiring diagram somewhere here but i'll be darned if i can find it. Anyone have it or possibly be able to privide the link?

I've never installed a stereo before and have been getting scraps of info here n there but nothing concrete (maybe i'm not searching properly). Any tips on how to remove the stock stereo and install either a single or double din (if that's even possible) head unit in my EL would be massively appreciated. :D

Total noob..

Cheers
RDT

Post subject: Re: trying to figure how to install aftermarket head unit
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Go down to your local audio shop and they can sell you a loom to take you from the EL falcon stock loom to the standard colours used by all the Car Audio companies.

There are 2 options from here, use another loom to go to you Pioneer, JVC etc plug or just use the loom that came in the head unit box and wire red to red, yellow to yellow etc to the first plug.

to get the head unit out of the EL, take the ashtray out, there is a little philips head screw in there. Then the surround just pulls off (be careful where the plastic is thin).

Behind this on a single DIN unit (non premium sound) you see 2 Torx screws
Like this
You will need to get hold of a set of these screwdrivers (can remember the exact size)

Take these out and the head unit will just slide out, then just line up (trial and error a bit) the holes for the new head unit.

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY! :D

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

i suggest getting either MCELLERYS or FORD WORKSHOP MANUAL this will tell you everything you need to know about removing and rewiring headunits and anything else to do with EF-EL falcons

but ill give you the gist...

1. disconnect the battery

2. remove surround by undoing screws either side of the ashtray then gently pull down and out to release from the clips up top.

3. remove headunit by undoing the torx screws on either side of the head unit (you need a torx bit for this (can be bought at car stores or bunnings)). slide headunit out .

4.disconnect wires, leave enough for you to work with though.

5. main wires you have to worry about are the EARTH (Black), ACCESSORIES (dark blue/white), BATTERY (Dark Green/Yellow). usually on a aftermarkert headunit these wires are Earth (black), ACC (red), BAT (yellow), join earth to earth etc

6. rest of the wires are speakers, best way i founds to find out which is which if you dont have a diargram is to connect a AA battery to the pos and neg of each coloured (neg has a coloured stripe running along it) wire and see which speaker makes a pop noise, then connect to the remaining wires on the aftermarket headunit.

you could always take it to a audio place and get them to do it. :D

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

You guys are champions, cheers! Didn't expect responses so quickly (I'm still yet to buy the head unit! thought this thread may take a while haha :)

The pics are great too. thx! I'll have to get that anti tamper torx piece...to be certain though does anyone know if it's a 5 or 6 point? The pic is a 6 but thought to double check. Spose i'll find out when get to it but would be good to have all the tools before i start.

lso, what's an ISO connector? Sorry...like i said...noob ;)

i'll let you know how i go when i get a chance to do it...still deciding on what head unit to get. I'm looking at pioneer atm

(and i could get someone to do it but that wouldn't be as fun :wink: ...touch wood!!)

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Maybe i did it wrong, but one connects to the ford falcon wiring harness to a standard, and then the sony connector in the second link connects to the previous installed.

you did it the easy way, but you can save 20 bucks buy cutting the ISO connections (Black and Brown of what uniacidz posted) off of the falcon product http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-Harness-Iso-Connector-Ford-Falcon-APP051.aspx?pid=11539#details

and wire this directly to the Head unit loom that comes in the box. Just colour match.

RDT wrote:

The pics are great too. thx! I'll have to get that anti tamper torx piece...to be certain though does anyone know if it's a 5 or 6 point?

6 im fairly sure.
RDT wrote:
(and i could get someone to do it but that wouldn't be as fun :wink: ...touch wood!!)

its really simple, just take your time and make sure you get the wires right. Once you do it on one car you will be right.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

we also used 2 wiring adaptors, 1 supercheap one that converted the wiring harness to the right colours, then the one the head unit came with, simply soldered the same colours together and that left us with one loom with a plug on each end, one went to the new head unit, the other to the cars wiring loom.

unfortunately the new head unit didnt fit into the bracket and the bracket provided did not fit the dash. so my uncle couldnt be bothered with the crap and cut both brackets up and welded different bits of each together, worked perfectly

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Its in the Tech Docs

documents.php?d=27

Its pretty close IIRC.

You need to remove the entire dash fascia to remove and fit the deck as you need to fit the side brackets (that are held in by the torx bits) to the new deck. You can do it while leaving the fascia in place, but you'll scratch the f**k out of it, and probably break it. Its only 6 or so screws and a few plugs extra after the ashtray anyway.

The Tech doc tells you what wires are what, when you buy your new deck it will come with an installation booklet telling you what wires are what for it - its not exactly rocket surgery.
Solder/twist, then tape/heatshrink each wire together and bob's your aunty.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ok, thanks for all your advice so far. I finally got the head unit and a mate has sorted the loom for me. So it's working fantastically, BUT HOW DO WE MOUNT THE THING? :? :? :oops: :oops:

any help here would be massively appreciated!

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Cheers again everyone for the help here...it really helped!! I had the right tools/torx pieces etc, and the wiring adaptors needed from super cheap, and now the unit's in and runnin like a dream. It may actually be too good for the factory speakers tho :lol:

Other than having a slight eye twitch trying to figure how to mount it, all in all it ended up being pretty simple. But things usually are with the right tools!! so thanks again (and having a mate who helped with the soldering etc so the wiring from the head unit fit to the loom as described :) )

In the end, as i couldn't manage to fit the original bracket to the Pioneer head unit i'd bought (it just wouldn't fit properly no matter which way i tried setting it), my mate got two generic metal brackets he had and cut them to size with an angle grinder. They attached perfectly to the sides of the head unit and in line with the car mounting holes/into the console space. It ended up fitting just as good as the factory unit..so i'm stoked! :D 8-) :D

Now i've just gotta figure how to fix the actuator/door cycling issues... and how to get to the tailgate actuator in my wagon's boot if i need to remove them all...(this one may end up turning into another sos post too :? )

cheers again everyone...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]