Fordmods Logo

Tweeter Size Confusion ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Tweeter Size Confusion ?
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

I decided to have a look at the NF's tweeter size in the dash and see if its possible to replace em

but i measured them at 2" diam

can this be right as all aftermarket ones seem to be like 7/8"

i know everyone is going to tell me to put them in the a pillar but i cant imagine this being legal as its potential blocking of view

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: Tweeter Size Confusion ?
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
I decided to have a look at the NF's tweeter size in the dash and see if its possible to replace em

but i measured them at 2" diam

can this be right as all aftermarket ones seem to be like 7/8"

i know everyone is going to tell me to put them in the a pillar but i cant imagine this being legal as its potential blocking of view

Yeah stock tweeters are massive. Don't have to put them on the pillar, you can mount the tweeters on the triangle door moulds where you gain access to the side mirror screws. Mounting them on the A-pillar won't make it illegal as far as I know.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

measurement of speakers varies greatly between manufcaturers too.

one 1" tweeter can be a very different size to another 1" tweeter.

One can measure, the cone/dome, the rubber surround, the full diameter of the thing. hence the differing measurements.

edit: Never had any problems with mine,

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks for the info guys

that does make it difficult to get a good measurement on what ur actually getting

@data_mine

you would be at the age for a full license cops dont bother u when u got a full license but they pick on ya when you got p's even if your not doing anything wrong just being a p plater is a good enough to reason to treat you like a bogan

im guessing those were crafted in with fibreglass ?

im not very good with fibreglass well it was either that or the fact its possible the stuff i had to use was dads and it was most likely expired

@ phongus

not a bad idea to place it would be hard though to make sure there is no possible way it could hit the pillar when u close the door especially if you end up with bigger then expected tweeters

Im just tossing up between these for the front

Pioneer TS-A1702C

or dont worrie about seperate tweeters and go

PIONEER TS-D1602R

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
@data_mine

you would be at the age for a full license cops dont bother u when u got a full license but they pick on ya when you got p's even if your not doing anything wrong just being a p plater is a good enough to reason to treat you like a bogan

im not very good with fibreglass well it was either that or the fact its possible the stuff i had to use was dads and it was most likely expired

I wasn't always old, lol. And the car's been through a defect check. Got caught with bald tyres day before they were getting changed already.

Yep, fibreglass, it's a skill that needs practice.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have JBL's in mine... Went from a 2" tweeter cone to 1" tweeter cone but its made up for it that they are in a plastic surround that measures over 1.5" in dia... So they slipped in loose in the big holes in the original brackets but had enough metal to drill mounting holes and bolt them into the factory brackets... Only issue I had was they just touch the plastic cowl because they have a steel gauze dome to protect them and sticks out just a tad far but it all screws back together OK :D Sound a million bucks over the old paper ones...

Just work on mounting hole size for panel mount option... Measure the hole in the bracket and that will see you get something that works (most tweeters will mount in panel, on surface or with angle adaptor)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

data_mine wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:
@data_mine

I wasn't always old, lol. And the car's been through a defect check. Got caught with bald tyres day before they were getting changed already.

did you have the tweeters on the a pillar then ?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If it looks factory and not dodgy they are not going to ping for you... mount them under the pillar cover and put a grill in it like the territory's have (and maybe the Falcons?) Its not like your hanging a monster tach off there...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:
@data_mine

did you have the tweeters on the a pillar then ?

of course or I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it.

And TimmyA, yeah Falcons get tweeters in the A pillars from factory (those with the upper model stereos).

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TimmyA wrote:
If it looks factory and not dodgy they are not going to ping for you... mount them under the pillar cover and put a grill in it like the territory's have (and maybe the Falcons?) Its not like your hanging a monster tach off there...

not a bad idea would there be enough room under there ?

and u said before u had JBL are they a decent speaker ?

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Used them for stage sound and yeah... Everybody has their own opinion but I love my JBL... Not sure of the model of them now but can always find the boxes...

2 way components up front and 3 way coax's down the back...

Get your measurements for them and pull the trim off and have a look see what you reckon... I think there would be enough room back there...

Even like I said if you mounted them flush mount style in the A pillar trim itself (Just don't get the nice angle like datamine has got)...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
@ phongus

not a bad idea to place it would be hard though to make sure there is no possible way it could hit the pillar when u close the door especially if you end up with bigger then expected tweeters

I have no problems with mounting them and they don't hit the A-pillars at all. You just have to measure your mounting area twice before you put everything together. Get some blue tack, mount it on the mould with the door closed to make sure you get enough clearance. Plenty of space for a 1" cone. Might be able to fit 2" cones as well (depending on mounting style).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]