Fordmods Logo

Tweeters... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Tweeters...
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I have read that installing tweeters in the stock position on falcons isnt the best because of the sound hitting the windscreen...

Is the sound quality actually that bad? or just not as good as it could be if they were installed in doors or pillars..

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

The stock tweeters are designed to have the sound bounce off the screen towards you, but then it reduces quality! Better off having them better aimed :)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ok thanks for clearing that up... I'm just wondering wether to go to some effort and place them in the doors or pillars, or just go the lazy way and install in the stock position haha

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I know good sound when I hear it and have heard tweeters in stock position and door mount in EL fords. I will honestly say that so long as they are aimed properly and are good quality they sound fine to me in the stock position.
Only time id consider them in a different loaction is if your really straining for perfect stereo imaging up front and run pretty much nothing in the back.
I personally like having the sound from the tweeters come from infront than the sides, proberly because Im more used to it, but It doesnt mean it will sound like crap, just different imaging from the speaker locations.
Having good speakers in the front and rear, i dont tend to lean for front stage and ignore the rear, i rather have full sound from all directions which wont have the same affect w/o the front tweeters.
Id suggest you did what I did, listen to them placed in both locations and decide which is best for you.

attn, im not saying the stock tweeter location is perfect, but its not that far off and with this spot you can hide them and go for that stock look which is always good!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah I was thinking about doing what you said, just testing them out in both locations, just to see what turns out best...

and yeah, keeping the stock look with the tweeters is what I'm trying to do, just because I'm not really a fan of them sticking out of doors and the like...

thanks both for your help

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

I know nothing about audio, i have just replaced all my speakers, and sub, heaps better than stock speakers, makes my rear view mirror shake, and rear windscreen vibrates now,what do the tweeters do?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

tweeters are responsible for those high pitched squeally sounds Neil!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

and are the smallest speakers...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Tweeters idealy should be mounted below the glass line to reduce the amount of deflection from glass to give a cleaner stereo imaging. its not really worth doing that if you buy cheap speakers or basically dont care about quality of sound.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
tweeters are responsible for those high pitched squeally sounds Neil!!

I thought that pig i was fiddling was making, u learn sumthin everyday.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:35 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Tweeters are responsible for reproducing the higher frequencies in an audio system. They typically play from aruond 3k upwards (3,000htz) in a 2 way system, while in a 3 way system with a seperate midbass, midrange and tweeter they are often crossed a little higher around 4.5k (4,500htz) They are small (usually) and need to have lower freqneucies filtered out to prevent them from over excurting trying to reproduce frequencies out of their range.

They are made from a wide variety of materials but can be grouped into 2 main categories, harddome or softdome.

Hard dome tweeters use metal materials to reproduce sound such as titanimum or alluminimum. Soft dome tweeters use material's such as silk, doped silk or other materials. Both have pro's and cons (search the Audio forum for a discussion on these)

I found after extensive testing in my car that the tweeters in the factory location had a number of weaknesses and found the A-pillar to be a much better location. It imaged better and placement accross the soundstage was much moer precise, I found the facory location firing into the glass smeared the image and was also much too bright and harsh.

NOTE: i was using focal utopia tweeters at the time which are a hard dome tweeter. results may have been different with soft dome tweeters as they are not as bright to begin with.

Mounting midtrange drivers firing into the glass is commonly done in Europe as these freq are no where near as bright and it can help dispurse the soundstage. I have not seen much of it done here but the few system s i have heard with it sound very good.

My original A-Pillar mouldings

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

If your able to make the A piller trims then it'd certainly be a step up from stock locations, agreed.
I find the Focal tweeters quite strong most of the time being very bright, has taken me a long time to get them sounding the way Id like em.
PS, this is front and rears, rears arent reflecting off glass as they are angles outward.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:13 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I also found the focal tweeters not to be entirley to my liking, hence why i no lnger have them. I competed in most of 2004 with Morel Supremo's

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I have my Alpine 171A's in the stock location. I've had to fiddle around with them quite a bit to try and tone down the brightness. I have brought them down 3db on the crossovers, and have them off the glass as much as possible. Still bright, but the clarity is something else. What is tends to do in that location IMO, is shrink the sound, it's weird, the sound is thinner, not compressed as such, but very hard to explain. May have exactly to do with being too far away from the low range driver. But I love the sleeper stock look, but I can't stand bright sound. Tweeter brightness IMO breaks rule number one in the book of sound. It leads to listener fatigue in no time at all, makes some songs come alive, and with others exaggerates the highs forcing you to wince and reduce the volume.

I was just wondering if sticking a layer or 2 of accoustic cloth to the underside of the tweeter plate speaker grilles, may actually help tame bright tweeters.
I ask this because I know my Mission tower speaker tweeters are actually designed to run with the accoutic cloth covers attached to the front of the speakers?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]