Fordmods Logo

Ultimate BA Install. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ultimate BA Install.
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2005 BA XT MK II

WA, Australia

Hi Guys, just brought the last amp for the Install in my 2005 BA MK II. Will be starting the install soon. Seeing as a few people I have been talking to from here have been pretty interested in my install I thought I would share what I will be installing and will keep you up to date with photos as the install is done.

Hear is the list of gear to be installed;

Head Unit: Keeping the Factory Head Unit
Front Splits: 6.5 inch MB Quart Reference
Sub : Rockford Fosgate 12" POWER T2
Amp For Sub: 2 x Rockford Fosgate T500-1bd 500 Watt Class-bd Mono Amplifier 1 Amp for each voice coil on the sub.
Amp For Front Splits: Rockford Fosgate T400-4 400 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier

I'm also considering buy a set of alpine type R Splits to go in the front witch will run just the 80 - 120 hertz range, little worried about the MB quartz Sounds tinny. (Would love to hear some feed back from you guys on this idea.)

The plan for the install is as follows; (may change slightly has the install is done.) Will be doing custom front door pannels in painted fiber glass (Shock wave blue). Here is an example of the finished product from a mates VY wagon that we did last year.

The amps will be mounted in the boot with the two mono blocks one on each side and the 4 channel amp in the center, The sub will be in a 65liter ported box with 3 x 3inch ports, the ports will be run up into rear speaker spots in the parcel shelf and the third one with be run in to the 8inch sub whole that is in the parcel shelf.

I know I haven't given you much to go on so far but any feed back would be appreciated. Starting to wonder if I have spent to much money :P

Post subject: Re: Ultimate BA Install.
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:22 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

magicmarkerpen wrote:
Hi Guys, just brought the last amp for the Install in my 2005 BA MK II. Will be starting the install soon. Seeing as a few people I have been talking to from here have been pretty interested in my install I thought I would share what I will be installing and will keep you up to date with photos as the install is done.

Hear is the list of gear to be installed;

Head Unit: Keeping the Factory Head Unit
Front Splits: 6.5 inch MB Quart Reference
Sub : Rockford Fosgate 12" POWER T2
Amp For Sub: 2 x Rockford Fosgate T500-1bd 500 Watt Class-bd Mono Amplifier 1 Amp for each voice coil on the sub.
Amp For Front Splits: Rockford Fosgate T400-4 400 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier

I'm also considering buy a set of alpine type R Splits to go in the front witch will run just the 80 - 120 hertz range, little worried about the MB quartz Sounds tinny. (Would love to hear some feed back from you guys on this idea.)

The plan for the install is as follows; (may change slightly has the install is done.) Will be doing custom front door pannels in painted fiber glass (Shock wave blue).

The amps will be mounted in the boot with the two mono blocks one on each side and the 4 channel amp in the center, The sub will be in a 65liter ported box with 3 x 3inch ports, the ports will be run up into rear speaker spots in the parcel shelf and the third one with be run in to the 8inch sub whole that is in the parcel shelf.

I know I haven't given you much to go on so far but any feed back would be appreciated. Starting to wonder if I have spent to much money :P

What are you planned to run to connect the ICC to the amps?

The MB Quart tweeters I find are harsh. But that's a personal thing, you may like them - I hope you listened to your speakers before buying.

What did you do to come up with the box size/port dimensions*? And I definitely wouldn't port them to the speaker holes in the parcel shelf. You'll be bouncing them off the rear window (after travelling a fair distance), then they'll be competing with the 'front wave' from the subs cone itself. It'll result in possibly (it may work) 'muddy' (distorted) bass.

* From what I calculated you'll need:
dual 2Ohm 21L 3x68mm ports 1620mm total length or 2x3" (75mm) ports 1300mm total length
dual 4Ohm 35L 3x68mm ports 1240mm total length or 2x3" (75mm) ports 1000mm total length
The dual 4 + 2x 75x500mm ports would be would be the better choice.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2005 BA XT MK II

WA, Australia

Sorry yes you are right I left one thing out. I have a Rockford 3sixy Interactive Signal Processor & OEM Interface.

As for the box size and ports this is copied straight from the Rockford fosgate website:
Rec. Sealed Enclosure n/a
Rec. Vented Enclosure 2.25 cu. ft.
63.72 liters

You might be right about it loading off the rear windows I hadn't thought about that will have a think and see what I come up with. Yes of c o a r s e (lol it censored it so I hate to add spaces) I listened to the splits before i brought them.

Thanks for your feed back.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

ve seen exactly this same install on a rs liberty. looks sweet as.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the bass being "muddy" with the ports firing up through the speaker appertures in the rear shelf.....

Having said that, I wouldn't consider it an option either.....

Why aren't you setting up a rear stage??

It's a BA Falcon with a lot of accoustically unfriendly angles and materials.... you're going to need something firing forward from the back to help with your imaging IMO.

On the splits in the front?? The Quartz crossovers will go down to -3db on the tweeter signal, that'll probably help if you think they are a bit too bright.

And are you talking about adding a midbass woofer to the Quartz front stage to make a three way split? If you are, it's a great idea and should be done by anyone who's prepared to lose the factory look of their door trims!

I reckon, port your box into the boot, run a rear stage and with the rest of your set up it'll go pretty well......

Perhaps a second 12 wouldn't go astray tho.... you'll have plenty of power to go that way if you decide too!

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 3sixty when you get it up and going too!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:51 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Why aren't you setting up a rear stage??

It's a BA Falcon with a lot of accoustically unfriendly angles and materials.... you're going to need something firing forward from the back to help with your imaging IMO.

Nooooo, never.

Rear speakers are the quickest way to destroy your staging.

Check the setups of those that compete in SQ comps (as I do), none use rear speakers.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

at least you got good taste in good quality gear

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

i dont like the mb tweeters id rather focal TN52's

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

ply-boi wrote:
i dont like the mb tweeters id rather focal TN52's

Personally I can't stand either as they are both too harsh for my liking, I prefer my Dyn's or the Kef's that I have spare or pretty much any decent soft dome especially over the Focals.
The argument still rages over whether or not to use rear speakers, there are plenty of competitors that use processed rear fill (not just rear speakers), I personally haven't heard one of these setups to comment on whether or not they work well, I don't run any rear speakers in my system and will continue to not run any....

Keep up the good work on the install...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]