Fordmods Logo

Upgrading BA Premium audio while retaining stock appearance 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading BA Premium audio while retaining stock appearance
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XR8

ACT, Australia

After two years of stock premium sound I got a good deal on some 60w rms JBL 5x7 drop in replacement speakers. I got excited enough to buy the JBL GTO804 8" sub to replace the stock one too.

Now I think it may need a little more thought and effort as the sound is now very hit and miss. A select few songs have an "ok" bass presense and punchiness, and the rest just sound lacklustre. Wasn't sure if it was an out of phase thing as we weren't sure on the + & - of the wiring, so I've swapped them around to what should make them all the same and still no go.

Also, the JBL sub sounded so non-existant we pulled it out and put the stocky back in for now, just because it was a known quantity in the system. I'd go back to all stock speakers for now just can't be bothered to undo the work so far.

Now, I've found out the stock system puts out 25x4 to the speakers and the sub has it's own generic 150w amp in the boot, which is on the left kick panel.

I was thinking of maybe just replacing that to get the JBL sub thumping but it's got a din type connecter with way too many wires in it, and I have no idea about these things, it if was just power and speaker outs it would be ok with me.

I was looking to amp the new spaekers down the track, figuring just the new speakers would make it sound a lot better for now, but I'd like to do this asap and get this problem fixed. I was happy enough with the stock sound, but knew it could be better for not too much more money.

What I would like to do is either get one or two amps to power the speakers and the sub. Looking to maybe give the 60w speakers 80w to play with each and the sub is rated at 200w rms, so at least that much.

Would a 4x80 under the seat or ina kick panel with a new 200w in the boot be a good idea? Or something like a Jaycar 2x80 for the fronts, same at the rear and another amp for the sub?

It would also be handy to know which coloured wire is + & - for all the speakers.

Vic

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

Vic,

All the speaker wiring with black stripes to negative of the speakers.
Reversing the phase of the front speakers on the std BA wiring makes a difference in the sound stage, give it a go...

3 of the 4 speaker wire pairs can be found in the left hand kick panel, and the front right wiring can be found in the drivers kick panel.

You will find the JBL sub needs to be boxed, for correct sub operation on the parcel shelf you will need a 'free air' sub.

An amp will help the other 4 speakers, however you will need a level converter and line isolator to put between the std system and the amp.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XR8

ACT, Australia

Ah, great. So I asked how this sub would go in my car, great was the response. I'll have to try and take it back. I didn't even think about that, just went with another JBL unit.

Why is a 6" speaker in the front better than a 5x7?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]