Fordmods Logo

Urgent Help Needed!!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Urgent Help Needed!!!
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey, im in the process of installing my new system and have struck a snag. the amp is in and when we connected the head unit we went to test the speakers to see if they all worked and discovered that only one set would work. ie; the front two or the rear two. we have checked everything and it appears allright and have even put another head unit that is exactly the same as they one being installed and it had the same result. the installer is thinking that it has something to do with the factory wiring??? what do you think?

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Faulty RCA lead? (these are cheap s**t even if you paid $30 for them.)

Fact. wiring only provides rca's for the rear / sub (opt). The front speakers are powered via the head unit itself.

Do yourself a favour, run new rca's and speaker wires throughout the car.

Also run the rca's (low input wires) on the opposite side from the Power/speakers.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

how is it wired :D and if you need some 'good' rca's let me know :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

its wired really well. the guy doing it for me has done a real proffessional job. i spent an hour today playing with the head because the two speakers that arnt working properly have a s**t of bass. the head has a subwoofer output thing in it. i was thinking that maybe the two speakers were being told to work as subbies but i couldnt fix any problems. think i might just have to take it down to autobarn or something and get them to have a look at it. we dont know of anything else it could be...

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What Amp are you using?
if you have a 4 channel, run the wires from the speakers to the Amp, 1+2 fronts, 3+4 rears...then the RCAS from the Amp to the head unit...

how have you done your setup? if you explain how you have wired it up i might be able to tell you if its right or wrong..

cheers
Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:06 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
What Amp are you using?
if you have a 4 channel, run the wires from the speakers to the Amp, 1+2 fronts, 3+4 rears...then the RCAS from the Amp to the head unit...

how have you done your setup? if you explain how you have wired it up i might be able to tell you if its right or wrong..

cheers
Ash

its a brand new pioneer 600watt 4 channel amp. two pre outs from the head unit to the amp then the speaker outputs from the amp are attached to the factory wiring. notice anything wrong?

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

duderat wrote:
its a brand new pioneer 600watt 4 channel amp. two pre outs from the head unit to the amp then the speaker outputs from the amp are attached to the factory wiring. notice anything wrong?

Yup!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

thats good - i think. whats wrong? its a pain having the front speakers working perfectly and the rears just being annoying for me.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:02 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Faulty RCA lead? (these are cheap s**t even if you paid $30 for them.)

Fact. wiring only provides rca's for the rear / sub (opt). The front speakers are powered via the head unit itself.

Do yourself a favour, run new rca's and speaker wires throughout the car.

Also run the rca's (low input wires) on the opposite side from the Power/speakers.

the speaker cables and rca's are on the drivers side of the centre console and the power cable is on the passenger side of the centre console with the amp under the passenger seat. the speaker cables were cut to size but ive hidden the leftover length of rca cable. i took out the cupholders and shoved it all down the side of the arm rest console thing then just put the cupholders back in. could this have any negative effect?

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Hi,

You have a sub pre-out on your head unit. I take it is has 3 x pre-outs.

I would be checking that the RCA's are hooked up to channel1 and channel2 of the head unit and one isn't hooked up to the sub pre-out.

I am not that familliar with your head unit, but it probably has an isolator function that turns thte sub pre-outs on and off.

If it does and they are not turned on, and you are trying to get signal from that pre-out, then hey presto, no sound!

Re the s**t load of bass thing.... I would be checking the cross over point on the amp... ie HP/LP, assuming it has active crossovers. It sounds like a tuning thing (or a dodgy amp) hmmmmmmm. If you can't fix it as is, I would be swapping the amp out with one that you know works, to see if it is signal (ie HU - Amp) or amp related (Amp - speakers).

duderat wrote:
i took out the cupholders and shoved it all down the side of the arm rest console thing then just put the cupholders back in. could this have any negative effect?

I very much doubt that your cup holders are having a negative effect on the performance of your stereo! :lol:

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

philaddis wrote:

I very much doubt that your cup holders are having a negative effect on the performance of your stereo! :lol:

hehehe I like that one..

The fact that you said, 2 RCA outputs from the head unit to the amp..
correct me if im wrong, but shouldn't there be 4?
1+2 Channel RCAs from Head unit to amp
3+4 Channel RCAs from Head unit to amp
then
1+2 Channel Speaker Wire from Amp to Speakers
3+4 Channel Speaker Wire from Amp to speapers

Thats how I look at it, and have done so to many cars ive worked on

I think the reason why your only getting either front speakers or back speakers to work is because you've only got one channel running....

-Ash

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
then
3+4 Channel Speaker Wire from Amp to speapers

I think the reason why your only getting either front speakers or back speakers to work is because you've only got one channel running....

-Ash

Ash,

An (1) RCA pre-out has two plugs (L+R) equalling one channel. So a headunit with 2 pre-outs (2 channels) has 4 plugs, 3 pre-outs (usually two channels and a dedicated sub control) has 6 plugs etc.

Speaker wiring from and amp to a speaker is not an RCA connection.

Just to clarify RCA's take a signal from the head unit to the amp. Pre-out means a signal available from the pre-amplifier section of the headunit and is therefore, by definition, not amplified.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeh wen i was playing round with the head unit i turned the sub on and off. it had no effect to the rear speakers. there is four rca holes in the back of the head unit; 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. i think to be running a subby off the head the connection is in the wiring plug from the head unit which none of those wires are being used. i will try and get some pictures up. also, with the rca's shoved down the inside of the centre console, i was just wondering that because they were all roughly shoved in and coiled that maybe it could have any effect.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Hybrid34 wrote:
then
3+4 Channel Speaker Wire from Amp to speakers

-Ash

Ash,

An (1) RCA pre-out has two plugs (L+R) equalling one channel. So a headunit with 2 pre-outs (2 channels) has 4 plugs, 3 pre-outs (usually two channels and a dedicated sub control) has 6 plugs etc.

Speaker wiring from and amp to a speaker is not an RCA connection.

Just to clarify RCA's take a signal from the head unit to the amp. Pre-out means a signal available from the pre-amplifier section of the headunit and is therefore, by definition, not amplified.

Yeah isnt that what i said:S?, and i didn't' say Speaker wiring from Amp-speaker is RCA...

But to answer his question
There should be
Two RCAS (white and red usually) for L+R...this is for one channel and channel 2
Two RCAS for L+R ....this is for the third and fourth channel
....that should be the RCA side of things, from your head unit to your amp covered..
then you have two more RCA's coming out of the head unit which are pre-out sub..

I think were going to need those pictures so we can all get a better look on how your system is setup..

Cheers
- Ash

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

duderat wrote:
yeh wen i was playing round with the head unit i turned the sub on and off. it had no effect to the rear speakers. there is four rca holes in the back of the head unit; 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. i think to be running a subby off the head the connection is in the wiring plug from the head unit which none of those wires are being used. i will try and get some pictures up. also, with the rca's shoved down the inside of the centre console, i was just wondering that because they were all roughly shoved in and coiled that maybe it could have any effect.

The wires being bunched up shouldn't have any effect (unless their loose and dodgey connections)...

You said there is four rca holes in the back of the head unit; 2 for the front and 2 for the rear....these need to be plugged into your 4 channel amp, then you should have all your speakers working..

As for your sub connection, there should be a separate RCA connection for it, if not you said there are wires for it? there might be some wires which go from the sub to the head unit, but i highly doubt so as it won't be strong enough to run your subby....you need to have an RCA connection like philaddis said which will go to an amp...then wires from your amp to your sub...

Hope this clears things up a bit?

-Ash

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next