Fordmods Logo

Wanting to setup a 2 amp setup - have read all posts...help! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Wanting to setup a 2 amp setup - have read all posts...help!
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Hi i have 2 Alpine MRV-T420 amps and are wanting to connect to them a set of Type R 6.5" component speakers (SPR-176A), set of coaxial type r speakers (SPR-176A) and 2 Type S 12" subs 1242D ithink(cant remeber if mine are 2ohm setups or the 4ohm ones so part number may be 1222D.

A delimar i have is my oldish pioneer mp3 HU only has 1 set of RCA outputs.

What is the best way to set all these up and is it okay to setup them up so one amp runs a sub and one of each of the speaker setups .... see my gallery "wiring diagram" photo

Thanks all

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sounds like its time for a new HU!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

From memory im pretty sure you can only hookup the one amp to a 1 only pre out. Unless there are double connection adaptors or something you can buy.

Having two pre-outs thou will help, and it should be pretty easy to do, BTW the subs you have are 2 ohm because i have one in my boot. :wink:

Would be pretty easy to wire up thou.

Sorry if that was no help at all :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

You can get splitters to change your 1 set of rcas to 2 sets. Although I know some amps dont like that.
I dont have any familiarity with your amps, but some amps (i know the cheap a*** ones from strathfield have them) have rca outs on them so you can run them to another amp as well.
*takes a deep breath to continue talking*
My brother also has a sub control gadget (made by alpine) that (from memory) you can hook up to your speaker output on your deck and it converts it to rca for the amp. Ill have to double check though. He isnt using it anymore so he might get rid of it if your interested.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

So you're running 2x 2 channel amps to run two pairs of speakers and two subs. With this wiring, you're only going to get mono through every speaker? You will have no stereo to your front / rear speakers.

Is this really what you want?

Depending on the power from these amps, you would be much better off bridging both amps, just for the subs, and just building small crossovers to high-pass your speakers and run them from the headunit.

I hope this helps, but it makes more sense to me.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:05 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Better off using splitter than a line level convertor.

If you are using a splitter you MUST buy a good one.

The cheaper ones are crap and i have had heaps of problems with them (in fact i have one brand new at home i would give away.....

The good ones cost around $20ea and you will need 2. Remember to split the channels up not 2 right channels to one amp and two left channels to the other (as i have seen done many times)

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Honestly, it sounds like you are looking for good audio quality so you'd be better off spending some money on a decent HU.

I have a JVC KD-G800 MP3 HU that has 6 preouts. 2 sub, 2 front, 2 rear. I am putting in an amp this weekend. It is four channel. 2 will be bridged for one sub, the other two will power the rear speakers. For now the fronts will remain powered by the HU. My sub will be an 8" free air in the parcel shelf. I am not in the Doof Doof club and I like my boot space for my toys. I just want quality audio.

This HU cost about $500 about 6 months ago. Servo driven face, adjustable cross over and bass boost for the sub.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

i used to have two amps running off one rca. it didn't sound the best. so i got a new HU. i got a alpine 9831. its top for the price. i paid 525 for it. its got 3 rcas. time correction, built in crossovers and all the s**t. go to your alpine dealer and get one. mine sounds awesome now.

Its like fully sick uleh bro

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

time to get decent splitters or a new h/u with at least 2 pairs of RCA's

also, having a look at ur wiring diagram, u can't really wire up 6 speakers off 4 channels.

ur amps will generate a lot of heat and i believe it detrimental to sound quality to run full range speakers at 2ohm.
i'd recommend running a cap in line with ur rear speakers to high pass them at about 160hz while they are powered from the h/u outputs and run the subs directly from one of ur T420's wired to deliver a 4 ohm load. the T420 won't run at 2ohm mono so ur gonna get a peak of 320WRMS x 1 @ 4ohm. prolly not enuf for the TypeS subs but better than nothing.

then run ur other T420 to ur TypeR splits up front. they should adore the power and pump nice and loud :)
u've got some quality equipment there, it'd do it some justice if u could get a better h.u and prolly some more power for those subs and use ur other T420 to run the rears. if ur sticking with alpine the MRD501 comes to mind to power the subs :)

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Last edited by aphexer on Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

aphexer wrote:
i'd recommend running a resistor in line with ur rear speakers to high pass them at about 160hz while they are powered from the h/u outputs

How is an inline resistor going to work as a high pass filter ??? Or have I taken what you said in the wrong context ???? Agreed it will give him a 4 ohm load if you use 2 ohm resistors and 2 ohm speakers and that might be useful, except you will lose power through them (via heat).

A capacitor in series is a high pass filter. You'd need a 500uF cap on a 2 ohm speaker.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry, meant to say put in a cap.

if u go to jaycar or d**k smith they should be able to help with what value corresponds to the frequency u want to start cutting off from and what sort of db slope u would want
u could check out here too http://www1.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/crossovr.pdf

Plenty more to come!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

right mate this is what you gotta do

runn the subs from the amps. get the head unit i said which will then allow you to do the crossovers on the speakers which you run from the head unit. you cant run the speakers from teh amps cos you dont have enough channels.

All i know man is that will sound sweet when it is done

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

if the amps have a built in x-over you dont need a cap, and the type you need is bi-polar.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
if the amps have a built in x-over you dont need a cap, and the type you need is bi-polar.

i suggested running the rear speakers off the h/u. they're type R's so would probably prefer to run off an amp, hence the in-line bipolar cap :)

Plenty more to come!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

well thanks for all the help will see how she goes .. the HU i didnt think was too bad - a Pioneer DEH-P3550MP fiddy watt x 4.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next