Fordmods Logo

What do i need ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: What do i need ?
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

I'm starting to look at upgrading my car audio gear, as the stock ford pioneer speakers are starting to crackle and distort through constant abuse.

i currently have one of these head units:

Its features are listed below (not that i understand most of them..but hey, maybe you might)

Max Power: 50W x 4 (MOSFET)
Full Bandwidth Power (at less than 1% THD): 22W x 4

Tone:
Bass: 100Hz (+/-) 10dB
Middle: 1 kHz (+/-) 10dB
Treble: 10kHz (+/-) 10dB

Preout Level / Load: 2000mV/10 k(ohm symbol)

Preout Impedance: (underlined less than symbol) 600 ohms

# Subwoofer Level Adjustable
# Built In Amp Mute Function
# System E's Light (Built-in Easy HPF & LPF)
# System Q-Ex: Preset & Full Manual Sound Control
# Separate Bass/Mid range/Treble Control & Source Tone Memory
# 2 Preouts (Rear/ Non-fader Switchable)

Essentially my question is this:

my musical selection whilst driving is around
80% - rock/hard rock
10% - bassy club type stuff
10% - easy listening

im looking at changing my front door speakers, parcel shelf speakers, and putting in two enclosed subs in the boot.

im after a reasonable system, im not after absolute s**t - nor am i looking to win any audio competitions just somewhere in the middle with an equal bias between SPL and SQL - with regard to bass, im not after bass that gives me bowel stimulations but i do want to feel it thump, and the system doesnt need to accomodate for further growth, once its in and setup - this system will remain as long as i have the car.

what i need to know most is what specific parts i actually need to aquire not so much brands or models:

so far i know i need:

2 x speakers to fit front door mounts as seemlessly as possible ( but i dont know what to type get to suit my needs and the overall setup)

2 x speakers to suit the parcel shelf ( but what size and type ??? )

2 x subs (im thinking 10" ones...but if a different size would more applicable let me know)

1 x sub enclosure

? x amplifiers.... i want to run both the subs, and the speakers via an amplifier ...but what type and how many and which amp for which speakers/amp ?

1 x lots of cable

could someone please fill in the blanks for me...... ?

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

I am pretty sure the stock speakers are all 6 inch coaxials. Maybe 6 inch splits in the front doors (tweeters in the dash) depending on the model of car. Most people go for a set of 6 or 6.5 inch splits in the doors with the tweeters mounted on the dash, a pillars or kick panels. The rear speakers usually are just 6 or 6.5 inch coaxial 2-ways. These speakers usually have a 4 channel amp running them. The number and size of the subs are varied but these will also have another separate amp running them.

In my EL XR8 I have got Soundstream TRC6 6.5 inch splits in the doors with the tweeters in the factory locations underneath the grills in the dash and Soundstream SST6.5 coaxial 2-ways in the parcel shelf. These are running off of a Soundstream Michelangelo 4 channel amp. I also have some subs that were in the car when I bought it. They are pretty old now so I am looking at possibly upgrading them. They are 2 X 12 inch Alpine subs running off of a 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels. These subs are not that ideal but they do allright.

These are running off of a pioneer deck which has 3 X preouts. Your deck has only 2 preouts so I am not sure on the exact amp setup that you could have with that deck. You could probably amp the front speakers and also the subs from the preouts and just run the rears off of the deck.

If you wanted allright sound easily and cheaply maybe go have a listen to the Pioneer 3-way coaxials TS-E1695. You should be able to get those for $200 a set. I have had these in a couple of cars just running straight off of pioneer decks and they sound pretty reasonable. Something like those would be good as they should fit straight into the doors and the parcel shelf and you shouldn't need to amp them. Just make sure they are right for you before you take my word for it as I am in no way a proffessional guru or anything. Just make sure whatever speakers you get can handle being amped if you want to amp them.

With the subs you really need to talk to the sales people about exactly how much bass etc you want. Just remember if you want to still have a usuable boot space then subs might not be for you.

Hope some of this helps.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Mate one blank I want you to fill in .. whats the budget for all this....and instead of 2x 10"s ... or 2x of anything how bout 1x quality 12" ? ... will be easier on the wallet...u aint after SPL so dont bother with 2x...this is coming from a man with 4x 12"s so trust me :P ... plus will be better when considering amps, cabling etc...but yeh plenty of killer combinantions out there...from me I'd give u all alpine gear only cause I know it very well..seen many alpine installs..love the gear and know how it can perform....so yeh...what can u afford to splurge on this ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the price hasnt really been given much consideration as of yet, im mainly doing my homework now so i know whats what, then when i know what parts i need, i'll start looking at different makes and models that meet those needs and work out what balance i want when measuring cost against quality - and given my rather meagre student budget, it will be a case of getting parts bit by bit as i can afford them, and storing them away until i have everything and then install it all in one hit.

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

x3ros wrote:
the price hasnt really been given much consideration as of yet, im mainly doing my homework now so i know whats what, then when i know what parts i need, i'll start looking at different makes and models that meet those needs and work out what balance i want when measuring cost against quality - and given my rather meagre student budget, it will be a case of getting parts bit by bit as i can afford them, and storing them away until i have everything and then install it all in one hit.

yeh well and sorry to ask again but really you will need to justify when an amount is enough...you like...yes you would do bit by bit up to say a complete installed and ready to use nothing needed further to say 2 Grand...maybe 3.... know point in someone saying get one 12" orion woofer @ 2grand on its own as it well go off!!....so to get something realistic that will suit your budget and end up with a top result...you need to forecast a realistic figure..

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have a figure of say $1000.00 in my head at this stage

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1984 XE Falcon

VIC, Australia

were'nt you going to run lpg?

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

x3ros wrote:
i have a figure of say $1000.00 in my head at this stage

well all i can say is for $1000 i'd have to tell u for what youve asked above ya dreaming....if u wanted to do something half decent..mainly just for nice crusing listening then you wont do it for $1K without going cheap parts which arent worth it or jaycar/sony components and yeh i rank the 2 brands in the same basket...but hey just my opinion.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

Jeez.. a grand wont get you nothing these days, I just put in 6.5: MTX splits, 6x9 Mtx in the rear panels and a pioneer 4x120 amp with 4ga throughout and additionall wires for future expansion and that alone was over 1200.00.

Custom box to house either 2 inverted 10's or one nice 12, (just the box, im looking at 300 for the moulding + atleast 1000.00 for sub and amp.

One thousand, hmmm... try cash converters.

nascentes morimur

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Ok well to put it in simple terms...

you will need 6in speakers in the front doors and might as well get them with tweeters and change the ford ones in the dash.

Then you also need 6in for the rear shelf

If you dont want to be modifying anything just go for 6in all round as getting larger speakers you will need spacers or to modify the door/shelf.

With getting 2 10in subs... depending on brand and stuff they will kick.
Right now i have 2 10' rockford fosgate subs and they kick very well
We practically have a 3 story home and i can hear them upstairs in the bedrooms from my garage... so price does come into consideration
But seeing as you listen more to rock music and dont want over powerful subs i would say maybe go with the 10's because my friend has 12's and i think they react too slow to the faster beats in rock and dance music
BUT depending on what u spend and diff brands you can get 12's that sound really good
but going with your budget i say 2x 10's or 1 good 12, no more really

im not 100% with what size and brand does what but im an alpine guy so all my stuff is alpine apart from the rockford fosgate subs that i have carried over from my old system for the time being.

Thats everything in simple terms so then you can go look at brand names and prices yada yada yada

but going by your budget no chance of getting 4 speakers, amps, subs and cabling for that price

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gregg_13 wrote:
Jeez.. a grand wont get you nothing these days, I just put in 6.5: MTX splits, 6x9 Mtx in the rear panels and a pioneer 4x120 amp with 4ga throughout and additionall wires for future expansion and that alone was over 1200.00.

Custom box to house either 2 inverted 10's or one nice 12, (just the box, im looking at 300 for the moulding + atleast 1000.00 for sub and amp.

One thousand, hmmm... try cash converters.

and thats realistic as youve found....2K is certainly reasonible but ppl that think everytime i say a grand nah no way is a joke...go get quotes...espescially to run multiple subs....unless ya seriously wanna under power them and so on.....1K wont get u squat...I spent not far from triple that on cables and distribution alone

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'd go Alpine SPR-17LS in the front doors (mod the speaker holes to fit as they are 6.5") rrp $349

Alpine SPR-17LP rrp $249 in the rears...will need a spacer as these are also 6.5"

Sub - Alpine SWR-1222D or SWR-1242D (DVC 2ohm and DVC 4ohm models) $399 just get one.

Enclosure should cost from $180-$300....maybe worth building your own.

Dont worry bout sound deading etc

and for amping....if you wanna stay cheap....the head unit will run the rears fine...but front to get the full 75wrms out of em should be amp'd.

and a MRV-F545 - run the fronts off channel 1&2...and the sub off channel 3&4 which is designed for higher output (subs)...with a 2ohm load this channel when the car uis running will output 500w RMS nominally. $799

Both the 12 sub and amp have won many awards at the sound and image awards.

then obviously plus installation if u go that way...cables and etc...cheap not bad kits can be had from jb hi fi at $99 for full wiring kit and yeh they aint too bad for the money....but this is an impressive starter system and assure u it would impress....

if you think alpine are s**t come have a listen to mine and we'll see how ya feel after wards.. ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

ALPINE ARE s**t..........

lol

When you get it to Perth I'll have a look..
:lol:

nascentes morimur

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gregg_13 wrote:
ALPINE ARE s**t..........

lol

When you get it to Perth I'll have a look..
:lol:

yeh no probs dude :P

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

$1000.00 is more of a starting figure in my head, if it costs more than that so be it - ive never really bought anything audio beyond a head unit, the plan comes first then work out the finances to support it lol

so far, from what i can see, an appropriate choice for me would be:

6inch speakers in the front doors
larger speakers on the parcel shelf (using spacers)
1 x 12" sub (or maybe 1 x 10" sub ?)
amplifier to run front speakers and sub
enclosure for the sub
wiring

speakers for the front door: $300-$400ish
parcel shelf speakers: $300-$400ish
amp: $700-$1000ish
sub: $300-$500 each
wiring: allow say $200-$300
sub enclosure: free (dads a carpenter)

so im looking at somewhere between $1800 and $2600 for a modest and respectable setup, averaging that out around $2200.00 is about what i need

does this sound correct ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next