What head unit do YOU recommend? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

for that price range could quite easily get a good deck from alpine or pioneer, even some kenwood models. For that money et a deck that has at least 5v preouts and 3 of them, nothin better than having sub control. Also independent EQ's and all ya norms, MP3, WMA, SP-Level, etc etc etc. Shop around till ya find somethin ya like

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

i agree with joolz, go jvc. They are good value for money and have features that you pay s**t loads more for in other brands esp PIONEER SONY and ALPINE. if you can stretch your budget to around 900 get the jvc unit that plays dvd aswell as mp3 etc, its s**t hot.

Pround memeber Team DYNAMIC WHITE

"NFURI8" Fairlane ghia nf2 v8.
Pacemaker p4000
El gt snorkle, K&N filter.
JVC and INFINITY audio system.
EL GT Shadow Chrome alloys

AU3 Falcon Dedicated Gas

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Pioneer or dare I say alpine......not JVC, not sony. The last two tend to aim for power, not sound quality. My 8540 (pioneer) sounds great, has 3x6.5V outputs and a cool two level effect. You might be able to pick one up for 700-800 because they're discontinued.

My say.......pioneer, definately. But alpine is good too.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 08 ranger xlt

WA, Australia

Quote:
EDMONTY Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:12 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the P1Y RRP is $1200 but can be found in the $700 bracket ,it's also got 3 rcas with 6.5 volt preout ,and can be ran it 40wx4 or 60wx4 it's switchable on the back of the unit

yerr i wos a big fan of that deck, until i saw the price. im hoping the longer i wait the cheaper it becomes. by the way where would i find it for 700ish?!? that just seems crazy 2 me

IF ONLY MY GIRLFRIEND WAS AS DIRTY AS MY CAR

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

just barter them down ,get lots of quotes and get other companys to match them ,you will soon get it for the price you want to pay

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Smackdown thats a bit harsh mate putting JVC and SONY in the same put down sentence!!!!
You will prob find with all brands not all models have the high end quality sound. If they all had that quality why pay $1000 for a HU when the $200 one sound the same!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
Smackdown thats a bit harsh mate putting JVC and SONY in the same put down sentence!!!!
You will prob find with all brands not all models have the high end quality sound. If they all had that quality why pay $1000 for a HU when the $200 one sound the same!!!

Harsh....yes but I am speaking purely from experience. I've installed, JVC, Sony and Clarion HUs but none have matched the 3 pioneers and 1 alpine i've done.

If you take anything out of this........NOT SONY!

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

EDMONTY wrote:
just barter them down ,get lots of quotes and get other companys to match them ,you will soon get it for the price you want to pay
and find m8's who are looking for a HU too..... if you can find a couple of mates who wanna spend some $$ (even if it's an identical HU tothe one you're buying), a lot of places will be prepared to drop thier prices.... when i bought my 5650, it was on sale at $480, i rocked up, asked the dude how much for 2, and he dropped it to $400 each.....

Banned

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Well speaking from experience i have always bought and gone with Alpine, and all i can say its a purchase that i have not regretted as i am always happy with thier products. :wink:

I have a lower series HU from 3 years ago and it still kicks a**, obviously features wise its not up to scratch with the lastest bunch but it does the job well.

I paid $300 for a $499 HU 3 years ago :wink:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

Firstly,

go in and try each head unit out, play with there settings and look at there features.
For the price you want to spend all the brands in that area are good. Just dont buy sony!!!!!!

I reccomend the latest panasonic, it retails for $595.
It has front and rear 4v preouts plus a sub out. Has an input aswell. Can have a disc changer connected.
Its only 50x4 but you should be running amps anyway.
MP3 MWA and cd compatable
The eq settings are basic but i prefer that when i'm trying to set up my amps.

Like i said any thing in that price bracket is good.
Have fun
Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The jvc i have has all the panasonic has, it retails for $500 but through a mate at JB got it for $350.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Best advice would be to look around and find the best product for the best price basically :wink: Not as hard as you think, with a bit of bargaining/lying you can get some sweet deals.

Thats basically what i have done wheneva i go to buy Car audio. I have already saved myself about $500 atleast (i kid you not).

Go around and buy a few catalougues and get the general idea of what the brands tend to sell for. Then go out and try to get ur self a deal :wink:

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: eb ghia

VIC, Australia

i have the jvc touch screen HU. very happy with it. woth a look. i think rrp is around or under $700.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

M8 everyone here is going to put forward there own personnal brands, me im a kenwood person, so i would say get a kenwood deck. pioneer and alpine are pretty sweet to and pioneer are one of the friendliest decks to use. Its effectively up to you what you get its your money. shop around abit first find what you like and then start bargining. In a good qaulity deck ensure you have the following

CD/MP3/WMA/CD-RW compatibility
3 RCA Preouts (min 5V)
50wx4 (if you aren't runing amps for F/R)
Independant balance/fader/speaker vol for F/R/Sub
High level EQ settings. (top line K/W pioneer alpine cadence do this)
Cd Changer control
AUX input (a bonus on deck, some decks requrie an additional controller for this)
Detachable face (2 piece panels work good for this as they fold up)

Hey guys instead of bragging about your preferred brand (we are all quilty of this) how about add to the list above and help the guy out...

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Kenwood Maverick wrote:
M8 everyone here is going to put forward there own personnal brands, me im a kenwood person, so i would say get a kenwood deck. pioneer and alpine are pretty sweet to and pioneer are one of the friendliest decks to use. Its effectively up to you what you get its your money. shop around abit first find what you like and then start bargining. In a good qaulity deck ensure you have the following

CD/MP3/WMA/CD-RW compatibility
3 RCA Preouts (min 5V)
50wx4 (if you aren't runing amps for F/R)
Independant balance/fader/speaker vol for F/R/Sub
High level EQ settings. (top line K/W pioneer alpine cadence do this)
Cd Changer control
AUX input (a bonus on deck, some decks requrie an additional controller for this)
Detachable face (2 piece panels work good for this as they fold up)

Hey guys instead of bragging about your preferred brand (we are all quilty of this) how about add to the list above and help the guy out...

You did read the very first post thou didnt you? LOL he wanted to know what WE think are the good brands :wink:

Personal opinions aside thou its up to him (just has to make sure to look around a bit first) :P As it has been said.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next