Fordmods Logo

Where should i put AV and ipod cables? (AU falcon) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Where should i put AV and ipod cables? (AU falcon)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU falcon Futura

VIC, Australia

Hi, Just bought a new head unit (JVC KW avx820), and its got a rear AV in, and USB cable, I'm not to sure where to place them in my AU falcon, any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Where should i put AV and ipod cables? (AU falcon)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Glovebox, centre console? All of mine is in teh glovebox

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

ipod in the glove box is best easier to hide

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

EFNA wrote:

yeh was thinkin that, except, what if i wana control playback via the device thats plugged into the head unit, its a bit too much of a pain to get it out of the glove box each time, any other ways anyone has heard of?

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

could always run cable under you console into the center compartment, might take a bit of enginuity but it could work

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

furso wrote:
EFNA wrote:

yeh was thinkin that, except, what if i wana control playback via the device thats plugged into the head unit, its a bit too much of a pain to get it out of the glove box each time, any other ways anyone has heard of?

Experiment with your user interface on the head unit (If the head unit it capable of controlling the ipod). you may find that it will work well enough that you won't need to access the ipod while you are travelling.

I can't really comment as to how it will work and whether it will be sufficient for you - as I don't experiment with JVC. I have only messed around with the pioneer setups - so I will comment on them...

I have used 3 different headunits with my ipods. 2 head units had to use the external ipod integration module, and 1 was a direct connect to the USB on the back of the unit.
The 2 that used the integration module worked very differently to each other, even through it was the same module (and I am talking about the same actual unit and wiring - not the model of the unit).
The most basic of the pioneer integration units (Head unit dependant) will give you control of track back/forward, playlists, artists, genres and songs. It may also provide the text displays. This is what I have with my DEHP1Y conntected to a CD-IB100ii. Keeping in mind that I have had this head unit for over 5 years - it is not a bad setup.

Where the setup in my Nissan is a brand new head unit, I am not running an external integration control unit. All I need to do is to connect the original USB cable that came with the ipod to the USB port on the back of the unit (I have since bought a second cable - as it is a bit tricky to get to). I have the ability to run searches as well as the all the basic controls.

Keep in mind that with a lot of the proper iPod connect methods (the ones that use the dock connector - not the headphones socket) that you are not able to use the ipod to change the track/playlist while it is connected to the car. With the newer headunit, I can change one setting in the head unit, that will switch control of the iPod between the head unit and the iPod.

With all 3 of my setups (I have set up ipod connectivity in my EF (no PAB), my EL (PAB) and in my Nissan). I choose to run all 3 cables to the glovebox. I think that this is the neatest. Also - out of sight, out of mind. If someone looks in your car and sees an ipod cable hanging there, they may break into your car to attempt to steal the ipod. I have heard of this happening a lot with the portable sat nav units. You can look at running the cables so that the drop out just below the ashtray (I am not too sure about how - as the only AU that I can look at is a column shift) or to cut a hole to run it into the centre console.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply mate, yeh I've done some looking around my car and I think under the ash tray would be best for the line in and USB cables, I could possible make some sort of dock that houses the cables and sits them under the bash tray so they are out of sight, but ill work on that after the thing is installed. Thanks for your help.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]