Fordmods Logo

will my new system drain too much power?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: will my new system drain too much power??
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok heres the deal, i have an 89 fairlane and im about to wire up a new system, 4 6inch splits, 2 6x9s, two tweeters, 2 12inch subs, a new JVC unit and a 6 channel amp.

the thing is im not sure if this will drain too much power.. i have no idea about car stereos, i currently have a 60amp alternator but i dont know whether it will be powerful enough seeing as i have cruise control, power everything etc. and i was thinking that if i was driving at night wiht hi beams on and cruise control and whatever and the stereo on as well that it would be a massive drain of power.

Will this be a large problem and if it is how should i resolve it without taking out having to make the system smaller...? thanks guys

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

I think that a 60A alternator is too small (Especially if you have a fairlane.) If your lights dim with bass hits, just get a stronger alternator and you should be fine.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

lol i would hate to disappoint you but your alternator will be fine unless you have a poor battery. i run about 1500w rms off the std alternator and it handles fine, small dim on very heavy successions of notes otherwise the alternator can keep up. you should be right

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yah thanks guys, i will give it a shot and hopefully it works out.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

As cooki said unless your driving on a col night have the high beams on heater goin full bore with the audio cranked...the alternator will keep up with powering the battery plenty...

Do you happen to know what sort of reserve capacity your battery has or the CA value - cranking/continuous amp output?

Like anything so long as supply outweighs demand you wont have an issue ie adequate cabling, decent enough battery to cope etc etc...

Common sense also plays apart...if you drive around with ya system on or close to max alot of the time and dont dull it down when ya almost home to give the battery a chance to recharge of course ya might have issues when you go to start the car next time :P

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]