Fordmods Logo

Will they fit? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Will they fit?
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Hybrid EL Futura

NSW, Australia

Hey i have a set of Alpine Type R Splits that i want installed in my car along with the rest of my system and i am getting it done for me.

The only problem is that the guy doing it says they wont fit no matter what.

I have given him 2 pages worth of info from this site saying how they do fit so i am just wondering what i should do if he still says they wont fit and he wont put them in?

The last thing he said to me was that he wanted to put the splits on the parcel shelf and the coaxials in the front doors(that wont sound right will it?).

Thanks

Pacemaker Extractors, Hi-Flo Cat, Lukey Ultra Flow 2 1/2" Cat back, King Super-Lows, KYB Shocks, 18% Tint, RPD R4 Cam, Vernier Gear, Full Alpine Stereo, 16" Speedy Holotype R rims, Stage 1 Shift Kit, 3.45:1 LSD

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

well you can put splits in the back but you would want splits at the front since it is better at the front...considering you are the driver...

I'm not sure of the Type R specs but if it is 6.5" then it can fit so long as you put a spacer which is pretty cheap to buy and cheaper to make. if it is 6" it will drop straight in...I am assuming your car is an EL according to your profile.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Their a 6.5" driver phong... so mate yeh they will fit but will require 2 things....which if this guys doesnt wanna fit em fine...save ya self the labour money and do it ya self its an easy a job...or o to another joint...say this guys refuses tell em what u want done and in this circumstance you could alkmost gurantee another audio shop would take your business happily.

Back to the speakers....it is better to run the splits in the fron and 2way co-axials in the rear shelf....believe me you will like the result alot more than the other way round.....having them in the front also allows you to postion the tweeter etc alot better for staing and so forth....

To fit them all the guys has to do is either just mount a 8 or 9mm MDF spacer in there - pretty much just enough added depth so the big chunky support arms can fit in.....just dont go to large or it will hit the door trim...option 2 is to cut the metal of the door round the speaker hole which can easily be done with a good quality set of snips/metal cutters or if u have the gear a jigsaw etc ....either cut to increase the entire diameter of the factor hole from 6" to 6.6" of just cut out the areas or the support arms...

If hes an installer he should be able to do each front door completely in like 10-20mins tops....thats trim off, mod the hole/fit spacer, install speaker and re-fit trim....then allow a lil extra incase he has to muck round with the grommets, fitting speakerwire thru and connecting em to the Head unit/Amplifier.

If he dont want ya money fine...his prob take ya business else where.. or see if any fordmods members live nearby and might be able to help ya out

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:42 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

The Alpines should fit as discussed in the previous posts. I have MB Quart Discus 6.5" splits in front of my ED. I fitted these after the Polk audio speakers died, not bad for 10 year old speakers!.
The placed who fitted my Polk speakers hacked the door a bit and the MB Quart wouldnt fit properly. I used my Dremel with a small cutting disc and cleaned the door up and the speakers fit perfectly with no spacer.

Cheers.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

bbd71 wrote:
The Alpines should fit as discussed in the previous posts. I have MB Quart Discus 6.5" splits in front of my ED. I fitted these after the Polk audio speakers died, not bad for 10 year old speakers!.
The placed who fitted my Polk speakers hacked the door a bit and the MB Quart wouldnt fit properly. I used my Dremel with a small cutting disc and cleaned the door up and the speakers fit perfectly with no spacer.

Yeh the best way to do it...I hate fiddlin with spacers and s**t...just better to crack her out cut up the door and clean it up and then ya set...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I say do it yourself too...though personally I don't like to hack into the door :P so a spacer would do just fine so if you ever want to go back to 6" so you could sell the car you could always remove the spacer.

Spacer or hacking...it is up to you =D

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Hybrid EL Futura

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the help guys, only prob is that i had already paid for install when i bought some dynamat from him. He had the car today and after firmly but politely telling him that i wanted the splits in the front or my money back he said ok and when i came back to pick the car up he gave me $100 back and said the coaxials are in the front and splits in back.

So im happy enough with the way it sounds atm and am just going to save up for another set of splits for the front.

Pacemaker Extractors, Hi-Flo Cat, Lukey Ultra Flow 2 1/2" Cat back, King Super-Lows, KYB Shocks, 18% Tint, RPD R4 Cam, Vernier Gear, Full Alpine Stereo, 16" Speedy Holotype R rims, Stage 1 Shift Kit, 3.45:1 LSD

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ernie21 wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, only prob is that i had already paid for install when i bought some dynamat from him. He had the car today and after firmly but politely telling him that i wanted the splits in the front or my money back he said ok and when i came back to pick the car up he gave me $100 back and said the coaxials are in the front and splits in back.

So im happy enough with the way it sounds atm and am just going to save up for another set of splits for the front.

SO ya got the install money back but he still went against what u the buyer asked lol funny...well spose gear is in for u to listen to and enjoy plus u have ya money back in ya pocket so not all bad :p

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]