Fordmods Logo

Wiring second amp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Wiring second amp
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

Im about to put my second amp in the boot of my car and am going to run my new RCAs to the boot but does it need a new power an remote turn on lead or can i just use the ones that go to the other amp?

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Remote wire will be fine to daisy chain. But the power cable depends on what gauge the existing wire is, and what are the power outputs of the 2 amps? If sufficient, then a distribution block can be used to split the existing cable to 2 seperate leads for each amp.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mazda CX-5 & 96 EL Falcon

SA, Australia

nope just use the same remote power, think of that remote wire as a relay trigger wire, when theres power to it it'll trigger the amps to turn on, just run a wire from one amp to the other from where the remote wire goes in.

Cheers

My EL Gli.

Post subject: Re: Wiring second amp
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I have an Alpine 700w monoblock to run my sub and have just bought a 1020 V power 4 channel to run the speakers. At the moment i have 8 gauge wire and was told if i dont want to run another power wire then i may have to use 4 gauge?

Also i have no idea where to mount the second amp. I can put the larger vpower where my mono is but then not sure where to mount that. I dont want it on the box or the back of the seats. Is it ok to mount it on the bottom of the parcel shelf?

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Yeah personally I'd recommend get 4 gauge, then split it with a distro block near the amps.
And it's fie to hang the amp from the parcel shelf, personally, I have mine there currently, nice and subtle looking.
Or you could put it on the side like where the factory one is.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

fordnuttz wrote:
I have an Alpine 700w monoblock to run my sub and have just bought a 1020 V power 4 channel to run the speakers. At the moment i have 8 gauge wire and was told if i dont want to run another power wire then i may have to use 4 gauge?

Also i have no idea where to mount the second amp. I can put the larger vpower where my mono is but then not sure where to mount that. I dont want it on the box or the back of the seats. Is it ok to mount it on the bottom of the parcel shelf?

Assuming those power figures are "max" and not RMS, 4ga will be fine. I would advise against mounting under the parcel shelf, as heat most likely won't be dissipated properly and heat that is, will just rise straight back up onto the amp, if you must mount here, put your lesser powered amp here. Others have created false walls with MDF on either side of their boots, but if you want subtle then that isn't great. I personally have a monoblock and a 4 channel screwed to a piece of MDF which is under the boot carpet on the hump in the boot... Here's a pic to help explain...

Not exactly a showy install, but easy and practical - earth amps to backseat bolts, and they are protected from anything I carry around in the boot... Anyways mate, just some ideas. Good luck

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah they are Max figures. I really like where i had my previous amp mounted so i took that off cos its physically smaller an put the 4 channel there and now im going to make a new mount for the mono on the other side of the boot. It has a good factory look and leaves the boot free for use. The reason i want them well out of the way i because i use the boot for surfboards etc and dont want them getting accidentally damaged

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I decided to put my 4 channel where the mono block was and then make another mount for the mono block. I was tryin to keep it as factory looking as possible and I think I managed to achieve that. I also wanted my boot to be kept as practical as possible, having to use it for surfboards etc and wanted the amps to be up out of the way an if the sub did need to be removed then the only thing that needs to come out is the speaker wires.

Attachments:
other side.jpg
other side.jpg [ 159.25 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]
amp.jpg
amp.jpg [ 187.98 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]
boot.jpg
boot.jpg [ 167.08 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

I reckon it looks heaps neat - and youve achived what you were aiming for - looks almost factory

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cheers.. The one that the mono is on and i spent a bit more time making it wheras the other one was made ages ago and i would like it if i had spent more time on moulding it in like i did with the other one

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

I really like that boot install. Great work

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]