Fordmods Logo

Wiring up splits to existing EF fairmont ghia wiring, HELP! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Wiring up splits to existing EF fairmont ghia wiring, HELP!
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys.

I've got a set of pioneer component splits that I want to chuck in the car but as the car already has tweeters I have no idea how to wire it. I did it with ease in my falcon once before but it didn't have factory tweeters.

I've bought a loom adapter for the dash loom head unit connection so I'm going to have to wire this into the existing audio wiring, is this a good idea?

Basically I'm struggling to comprehend where I need to cut the existing wiring to connect up the split boxes.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Wiring up splits to existing EF fairmont ghia wiring, HELP!
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL Falcon

WA, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Hey guys.

I've got a set of pioneer component splits that I want to chuck in the car but as the car already has tweeters I have no idea how to wire it. I did it with ease in my falcon once before but it didn't have factory tweeters.

I've bought a loom adapter for the dash loom head unit connection so I'm going to have to wire this into the existing audio wiring, is this a good idea?

Basically I'm struggling to comprehend where I need to cut the existing wiring to connect up the split boxes.

Any ideas?

Hi mate, I was faced with a similar situation with my car when I decided to install an aftermarket set of 2 way splits.

The factory tweeters are mounted under a panel right at the front of the dash under the windscreen. There are 2 screws on either side holding it in, but you will need a very short stubby screwdriver to remove them, then you need to pry the back of the panel up till the back pops up, then pull it backwards to remove. You'll then see how the factory tweeters are mounted.

Remove them, and decide how you want to mount your own aftermarket tweeters. You will probably have to modify the factory brackets slightly, so get DIY'ing!

I ran the wires for the tweeters out from the very sides of the previously removed panel, down the gap beside the dash, and under the plastic trims to under the drivers seat which was where I mounted the crossover blocks. Alternatively you can mount them behind the clock/climate control system.

Now for the doors.

Usually you can re use part of the existing wiring in each door for the woofers, but you will have to add extensions onto them.

Run the wires for the woofer in each door, you can re-use the factory wiring, but you will have to add an extension added off the existing wiring, (as is said above) as it won't usually reach where you decide to place the crossovers. Again, run the woofer wiring under the plastic trims to where you have mounted the crossovers.

Crossover wiring:

Usually, right and left front speaker + & - wires that come from your head unit go to the power/input terminals on crossover, then run the tweeter wiring and woofer wiring from their terminals on the crossover.

Once you have wired it all up, play something to check that it all works, the put it all back together again.

Have a read here if you are still stuck, as there are plenty of useful guides: http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/article/tutorials/

If you run into real trouble, take the car to an audio shop and ask them for more advice, most places should be happy to give you some advice, and their install prices are usually not all that dear.

Hope this helps you in some way!

Cam.

Post subject: Re: Wiring up splits to existing EF fairmont ghia wiring, HELP!
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps mate, it's all up and running now :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]