Fordmods Logo

130W high beams 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

kevman wrote:
ok you can get a new circuit breaker from Ingram Ashdown or any autoelectrician but before you do that : I don't know if your lowbeam is on at the same time but if it is then your circuit breaker is not big enough .you should have a lobeam relay and a hibeam relay, the circuit breaker supplies power to the relays it is overheating and clicking out ,going open circuit and when it cools down it is supplying power to the relays.the 2x 130 bulbs are making it overheat.the relays are not at fault .what you will have to do is work out the total wattage of all the headlights and divide by 12 this will give you the amperage of the circuit breaker needed.eg. 2x130 +2x60 lobeam =380 watts so divide by 12 and you get 30 and a bit so you need a 35amp or even better a 40 amp circuit breaker and every thing will be cool.if you want to improve the safety of your car you can use 2 circuit breakers 1 for low and 1 for high beam at the appropriate amp rating of course.GOD I hate typing

ok just read it again and i get it now....(the relay clicks on and off becase the breaker does DUH!!) so where is the breaker???

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if i am correct its in the fuse box inside the car it will be one of them metal cased fuses.

BANNED

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok Iam sorry I don't explain things very well but I know what I mean and that is the important thing.I went and had a look at my EL and I think the circuit breaker is mounted on the end of the relay blocks under the plastic cover near the battery.when you replace it you will[if you buy aftermarket]have to fit lugs to the cable ends instead of the push on terminals.the breaker looks like a small metal box with 2 yellow wires going to it.these wires are live as in when you are doing the repairs you might find it easier to remove the battery and if you are ok with doing electrical repairs I would fit 2 breakers 1 for low and the other for hibeam.This is so if you do have a problem and the breaker trips out you can go to the other beam rather than being in the dark waiting for the breaker to cool down and reset.have fun :lol:

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

kevman wrote:
ok Iam sorry I don't explain things very well but I know what I mean and that is the important thing.I went and had a look at my EL and I think the circuit breaker is mounted on the end of the relay blocks under the plastic cover near the battery.when you replace it you will[if you buy aftermarket]have to fit lugs to the cable ends instead of the push on terminals.the breaker looks like a small metal box with 2 yellow wires going to it.these wires are live as in when you are doing the repairs you might find it easier to remove the battery and if you are ok with doing electrical repairs I would fit 2 breakers 1 for low and the other for hibeam.This is so if you do have a problem and the breaker trips out you can go to the other beam rather than being in the dark waiting for the breaker to cool down and reset.have fun :lol:

ok i'll have a look tonight and get back to you

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2