Fordmods Logo

18" wheels help! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: 18" wheels help!
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dc_todd wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
long story short, keeping within 15mm rolling diameter , everythings fine :)

No its not. He is in NSW, there are very well spelled out rules here about what is legal. Either obey them or break em all, just be aware of rules and regs you are breaking, "I didn't know" is not an acceptable excuse.

post up the link to the legislation where it says 18's in this case isnt legal?

im sick to f**k death of this topic going in circles with the same crap being preached, and sick of posting up links to gov legislation proving im right, only to have the same arguments over and over

such is fm

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

why are my 18s are part of my engineer cert ???..

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
long story short, keeping within 15mm rolling diameter , everythings fine :)

No its not. He is in NSW, there are very well spelled out rules here about what is legal. Either obey them or break em all, just be aware of rules and regs you are breaking, "I didn't know" is not an acceptable excuse.

FordFairmont is correct. +/- 15mm in NSW.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... 9_rev4.pdf

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:34 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

RMS Link

Quote:
Vehicles built to comply with ADR 24 (after 1/1/1973 for passenger cars)

Unladen weight - Allowable rim width increase above the widest optional wheel available for the axle assembly used.

1201kg & over - 51mm (2 inches)

Have a look at the 1st table on page 3. Dunno, but to me, that CLEARLY states that passenger vehicles over 1201kg are not allowed to exceed 2" above the widest optional wheel available for the axle assembly used. I would have though that was pretty clear.

Also, just to clarify further, the wording of "axle assembly used" is that particular series. Otherwise you could fit 19's to your EA and argue that an EL GT with 17's could in turn be legally retro fitted to an EA, as technically, that is the same axle assembly. It is model and series specific.

Sorry to provide the requested info, but hey.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
RMS Link

Quote:

Unladen weight - Allowable rim width increase above the widest optional wheel available for the axle assembly used.

Have a look at the 1st table on page 3. Dunno, but to me, that CLEARLY states that passenger vehicles over 1201kg are not allowed to exceed 2" above the widest optional wheel available for the axle assembly used. I would have though that was pretty clear.

Also, just to clarify further, the wording of "axle assembly used" is that particular series. Otherwise you could fit 19's to your EA and argue that an EL GT with 17's could in turn be legally retro fitted to an EA, as technically, that is the same axle assembly. It is model and series specific.

Dave, Re read. It is allowable Rim WIDTH, not Diameter.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
RMS Link

Quote:

Dave, Re read. It is allowable Rim WIDTH, not Diameter.

DOH, my apologies all, I though I read correctly. I'll eat my humble pie. Can someone please link me to the relevant regulation that shows the correct rules.

thanks.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Awesome so just to sum it up, it IS legal? :D

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

RUXT0N wrote:

Providing you pick the correct size tyres to stay within the +/-15mm guidelines, yes.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Alright, when I get the wheels I'll find out, cheers everyone! :D
Zane.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Also in NSW the RTA now RMS doesnt recognise EL GTs or EBGTs as a yardstick for wheel size as they are deemed to be built by Tickford not Ford same as they will not accept any HSV vehicles as a yardstick for larger wheels on a Commonwhore.

To play by the 15mm outside diameter rule there are a few things that need to be taken into account as well.

Load Rating. The load or weight rating of a tyre needs to be equivilent or better then original.
As you go to smaller and smaller sidewall aspect ratios to keep within the 15mm rule you cannot meet the load rating requirements as a rule.

Speed rating. Isnt really an issue in this case.

Also a standard EF Falcon or Fairmont had a 15x6 wheel factory. If you want to play the 15mm rule you will need a 18x7 rim to be legal. FTR's were optional on Ghias and XR's but the best of my knowledge they didnt have a seperate tyre placard for an FTR. It was just the standard tyre placard as they fell within the 1" bigger then standard rule. Our old XR had FTR's from new and no different placard and the blue one I wrecked out was the same.

So if you can find a 18x7 wheel , with a tyre size that keeps within 15mm of the original rolling diameter that ALSO meets the required load and speed ratings you could well get away with arguing the 15mm outer diameter rule. Good luck trying to find all that. Also the tyre size has to be a legal size tyre to fit to the rim. Its amazing what size rims some tyres are actually recommended for.

It is the same as the rule people think that only applies for lowering. The general idea is 100mm minimum ground clearance is all that is required. It also requires for 2/3rds of original bumpstop distance to remain , and 600mm from memory from the centre of the headlight to ground level. All very hard to comply to every single rule so technically they are illegal and if pushed a copper will get you one something.

So while Ford Fairmont is semi correct do not go off blowing your horn about how correct you are without the full facts in front of you. Technically you can sneak 18's in if you can manage to comply to ALL relevent regulations which is nigh on impossible. If you engineer the wheels on the vehicle you can do it.

So Ford Fairmont do you have sand in your vagina again or are you angry that your next door neighbours are burning green wood again since its winter?

Summing up I used to run 18x8 Typhoon rims with 235/40 18 tyres on my old XH ute and got away with it the time I had it. I knew it wasnt legal but didnt try and kid myself it was.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
RUXT0N wrote:

Providing you pick the correct size tyres to stay within the +/-15mm guidelines, yes.

Well not really....

Minor changes to wheels
Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.

So to fit an 18x8 you would need to notify the RTA and more than likely you would need a engineer cert for them. Unless of course you can find a 18x7.... But good luck with that.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Also in NSW the RTA now RMS doesnt recognise EL GTs or EBGTs as a yardstick for wheel size as they are deemed to be built by Tickford not Ford same as they will not accept any HSV vehicles as a yardstick for larger wheels on a Commonwhore.

To play by the 15mm outside diameter rule there are a few things that need to be taken into account as well.

Load Rating. The load or weight rating of a tyre needs to be equivilent or better then original.
As you go to smaller and smaller sidewall aspect ratios to keep within the 15mm rule you cannot meet the load rating requirements as a rule.

Also a standard EF Falcon or Fairmont had a 15x6 wheel factory. If you want to play the 15mm rule you will need a 18x7 rim to be legal. FTR's were optional on Ghias and XR's but the best of my knowledge they didnt have a seperate tyre placard for an FTR. It was just the standard tyre placard as they fell within the 1" bigger then standard rule. Our old XR had FTR's from new and no different placard and the blue one I wrecked out was the same.

So if you can find a 18x7 wheel , with a tyre size that keeps within 15mm of the original rolling diameter that ALSO meets the required load and speed ratings you could well get away with arguing the 15mm outer diameter rule. Good luck trying to find all that. Also the tyre size has to be a legal size tyre to fit to the rim. Its amazing what size rims some tyres are actually recommended for.

It is the same as the rule people think that only applies for lowering. The general idea is 100mm minimum ground clearance is all that is required. It also requires for 2/3rds of original bumpstop distance to remain , and 600mm from memory from the centre of the headlight to ground level. All very hard to comply to every single rule so technically they are illegal and if pushed a copper will get you one something.

So while Ford Fairmont is semi correct do not go off blowing your horn about how correct you are without the full facts in front of you. Technically you can sneak 18's in if you can manage to comply to ALL relevent regulations which is nigh on impossible. If you engineer the wheels on the vehicle you can do it.

So Ford Fairmont do you have sand in your vagina again or are you angry that your next door neighbours are burning green wood again since its winter?

Summing up I used to run 18x8 Typhoon rims with 235/40 18 tyres on my old XH ute and got away with it the time I had it. I knew it wasnt legal but didnt try and kid myself it was.

Dave covered the width. 1201kg and above 2" wider is legal, so 18x8 would be perfectly fine.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

Dave covered the width. 1201kg and above 2" wider is legal, so 18x8 would be perfectly fine.

Brett. 1201kg and above for the 2" is the size that has to be signed off by a Signatory. IE engineers certificate.
If the OP mentioned he was going to be getting an engineers certificate for them we wouldnt even be having this discussion.
So with an Engineers done 18x8 is perfectly fine. Without an Engineers it isnt!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Alright so to sum it up, I need an engineers cert, I don't think I'll really bother...

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I've been running 18s on my eb for over 2 years. Throughout my p ate period, only tIme popo said anything was when they asked I there was enough tread depth.
IMHO if you keep the tread on em, don't drive like a doushe and keep the rest of you're car up to standard they shouldn't hastle you over it . They might tho

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next