8 inch rims on EF Falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 8 inch rims on EF Falcon
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Futura

NSW, Australia

Hey all, looking for a set of fat 8 inch rims, but not greatly interested by going after market and spending thousands of dollars. any ideas?, has any one else fitted fat rims on there EF, and how about putting au onwards rims on with spacers any good or not?

Post subject: Re: 8 inch rims on EF Falcon
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Harmo wrote:
Hey all, looking for a set of fat 8 inch rims, but not greatly interested by going after market and spending thousands of dollars. any ideas?

EL GT have 17X8 Factory (they also run different stub axles)
They'll fit you car, but if you have a camber kit and lowered, you will chew your guard.

Aftermarket will cost you about 20% of factory 8inch wheels.

Why do you need to go so wide? does your i6 produce enormous power and you can't keep traction?

Harmo wrote:
and how about putting au onwards rims on with spacers any good or not?

Yeh great idea to have a car un-roadworthy.

They're dangerous and not legal to use on government roads.
Any modifying of the cars wheel track can render you a canary if caught.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Harmo wrote:
Hey all, looking for a set of fat 8 inch rims, but not greatly interested by going after market and spending thousands of dollars. any ideas?

EL GT have 17X8 Factory (they also run different stub axles)
They'll fit you car, but if you have a camber kit and lowered, you will chew your guard.

Aftermarket will cost you about 20% of factory 8inch wheels.

Why do you need to go so wide? does your i6 produce enormous power and you can't keep traction?

Harmo wrote:
and how about putting au onwards rims on with spacers any good or not?

Yeh great idea to have a car un-roadworthy.

They're dangerous and not legal to use on government roads.
Any modifying of the cars wheel track can render you a canary if caught.

EL GT have 8.5's. How will they chew guards? I've had -24 17x9.5's on my NC with no drama's, why would a 0 or +6 8" rim cause problems? Nothing wrong with 8" rims, they actually aren't that wide.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Actually your right.

Genuine are 8.5 my mistake.

With 8.5" GT's mine chewed out the right guard on turning up driveways.
I did have 18mm of shims in the camber tho.

I now remember I wish i had copies as they're 8's and it could have made a slight difference even tho they would have had the same tyres on them.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I have a set of 17 x 8 (8.5) Tickford rims on my EF which is also lowered 35 mm
They fitted perfectly no rubbing or anything 235 wide tyres and all as per factory. Speedo still reads correct and everything.
however when I lowered the car they did catch on the front guards sometimes but I rolled the lip on the guard, ten minutes with a soft headed hammer and no problems since and you would never know to look at it.

While I believe genuine Tickford rims are rare, I have heard only 300 sets were ever made, I think later Ford GT ELs used the same rim with a different center cap.

A local here in Rockhampton told me a mate of his has three sets. whether this is true or not???

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

cruiza wrote:
I have a set of 17 x 8 (8.5) Tickford rims on my EF which is also lowered 35 mm
They fitted perfectly no rubbing or anything 235 wide tyres and all as per factory. Speedo still reads correct and everything.
however when I lowered the car they did catch on the front guards sometimes but I rolled the lip on the guard, ten minutes with a soft headed hammer and no problems since and you would never know to look at it.

While I believe genuine Tickford rims are rare, I have heard only 300 sets were ever made, I think later Ford GT ELs used the same rim with a different center cap.

A local here in Rockhampton told me a mate of his has three sets. whether this is true or not???

EL GT rims are 17 x 8.5", if you have 8" you have copies. EL GT rims were not fitted with a Tickford centre cap, only the 8" Copies came with the Tickford Centre which was smaller in diameter than the Genuine Rim.

Production for the EL GT was as follows:

271 EL GT’s were built.

248 were for the Australian market and 22 were for export.

156 were Sparkling Burgundy in colour, code B5. 14 of those were for export.

63 were heritage Green in colour, code E3. 5 of those were for export.

52 were Navy Blue in colour, code N9. 3 of those were for export.

So you statement of 300 sets is probably close with spares.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

EL GT rims are alright but seem too hard to come buy... and ain't the el gt rims the same as the eb gt rims?

i dont mind the ef tickford rims but 8 inch would be nice.

Quote:

I just cant stand having thin a** 205 tiers with the gay factory rims..... i don't know about you but i like my car to look neat and i reckon some fat tires and new rims would look alright.... and about the power its got a bit.... btw i did say i own a ef falcon.... have u ever driven one.. coz once those things lose traction u don't seem to get it back and wide tires should improve over all handling, and like the other bloke said 8 inch ain't that wide, its not like i'm trying to fit 275's on it lol.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Harmo wrote:
EL GT rims are alright but seem too hard to come buy... and ain't the el gt rims the same as the eb gt rims?

i dont mind the ef tickford rims but 8 inch would be nice.

Quote:

I just cant stand having thin a** 205 tiers with the gay factory rims..... i don't know about you but i like my car to look neat and i reckon some fat tires and new rims would look alright.... and about the power its got a bit.... btw i did say i own a ef falcon.... have u ever driven one.. coz once those things lose traction u don't seem to get it back and wide tires should improve over all handling, and like the other bloke said 8 inch ain't that wide, its not like i'm trying to fit 275's on it lol.

EL GT Rims and EB GT Rims are totaly different. Look them up.

What have you done to the EF to make it such an animal :roll: , or have you just got your P's?

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

maybe he just likes the look of fat wheels and tyres. i have 17x8" rims all round with 235/45 on the front and 245/45 on the rear. looks sick. your right height determines if you'll scrub the guard or not.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Quote:
maybe he just likes the look of fat wheels and tyres. i have 17x8" rims all round with 235/45 on the front and 245/45 on the rear. looks sick. your right height determines if you'll scrub the guard or not.

That set up would be ideal, what rims have you got and do u find that it handles better? got any pics?

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

they are AU XR copies. in pre AU offset. the problem i found is the way the front guards curve in on EF/L allows them to scrub easier if too low, too big of tyre, or if the wheels are offset outwards

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

that would look pritty sweet... wouldn't mind getting a set... btw how low are you talking 2 inch lower than stock???? how much did they set you back, and if u chose a diffrent set of rims what would the be?

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Quote:
EL GT Rims and EB GT Rims are totaly different. Look them up.

What have you done to the EF to make it such an animal :roll: , or have you just got your P's?

ok sorry bout that thought they were the same but now taking a closer look i c that the eb is a star whilst the el has 6 spoke things and they are a fair bit diffrent in shape .... but both are still nice rims i wouldn't mind ither on my car

I haven't done heps to me car but iv'e made a start with 977b wade cam, extractors, tickford head, 2.5 inch exhaust and a custom tuned J3 chip.... probley not a speed demond but i like it so far. btw i drive bf xr6's and fg's where i work so i know my car isnt that fast but for what it is its ok.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mine has superlows all round. it tucks tyre in the rear

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 92 EB S

NSW, Australia

lol why is everyone hating on him upgrading his wheels? 17x8 is pretty standard by the ways of upgrades. I have CSA's on GT Radials and it transformed the car completely...from running 225 "decent" tyres and leaving foot long 11's trying to launch at 1000rpm N/A to wanting to bite in with a turbo, plus the response of the thing... I would suggest rolling at least the front guards if you go super-ultra low though. Otherwise very straight forward.

JackoTJK

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next