Fordmods Logo

94 fairmont hids 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: 94 fairmont hids
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The only real problem with using halogen projectors is that the flare up on the passenger side is too tall. HID has such a high intensity that the light in the flare is also extremely bright and, due to the height of it, will get other drivers in the eyes occasionally. But no way near as often as many other headlights would when fitted with a HID kit.

H1 based headlights are the best suited to HID bulbs simply due to the orientation of the filament and the HID arc replacing it. Ford's XR projectors use H1 globes so they work quite well in terms of maintaining the original beam pattern. What you're missing out on though, with these projectors, is the width that a proper HID projector has.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

That is the minimal difference I have noticed , the passengers side beam is a little longer. And they dont seem as wide, but everything else is good

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
On second thoughts...

I think you may be finding your "better" statement simply because you're comparing 18 year old projector technology used in the XR lamps to modern day projector technology used in current cars and current HID retrofits...

Remember in 18 years everything has come a long way... The element in the end of the lamp is better refined, better shaped, and better processed glass...

This is most likely why you reckon a modern day projector lamp is superior to a XR projector lamp, it has nothing to do with the light bulb that resides behind the element...

Cheers...

cars i was comparing were the same age mate - and i think you'll find the way the two emit light is a lil different..

So many experts without first hand experience hey Mitch. Didn't you have factory HID's that you compared to a retro fit into another car? I'd take your word over someone else!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Mitch_ wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
On second thoughts...

I think you may be finding your "better" statement simply because you're comparing 18 year old projector technology used in the XR lamps to modern day projector technology used in current cars and current HID retrofits...

Remember in 18 years everything has come a long way... The element in the end of the lamp is better refined, better shaped, and better processed glass...

This is most likely why you reckon a modern day projector lamp is superior to a XR projector lamp, it has nothing to do with the light bulb that resides behind the element...

Cheers...

cars i was comparing were the same age mate - and i think you'll find the way the two emit light is a lil different..

So many experts without first hand experience hey Mitch. Didn't you have factory HID's that you compared to a retro fit into another car? I'd take your word over someone else!

Cheers Brett...

Like I said if he can roll out the scientific proof behind what he is saying then I'm quite happy to agree with his concept... Until such date it doesn't seem to me to be physically possible... I agree with the facts, always have always will... So please... Enlighten me... I'm all ears...

Also the argument wasn't so much the comparison between factory and retrofitted light bulbs... It is him telling us that HID's don't work in a XR projector lamp... Same lamp in question, different light source... I am just wanting to know why it doesn't work when the focal point behind the glass stays constant?

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

A good time to get definitive answers - read mavs19's threads - e.g. ford-bodykits-f15/hids-behind-xr-projectors-t33739.html
A good thread is the large HID one he did.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TimmyA wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Mitch_ wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
On second thoughts...

Cheers...

Cheers Brett...

Like I said if he can roll out the scientific proof behind what he is saying then I'm quite happy to agree with his concept... Until such date it doesn't seem to me to be physically possible... I agree with the facts, always have always will... So please... Enlighten me... I'm all ears...

Also the argument wasn't so much the comparison between factory and retrofitted light bulbs... It is him telling us that HID's don't work in a XR projector lamp... Same lamp in question, different light source... I am just wanting to know why it doesn't work when the focal point behind the glass stays constant?

i didnt say they didnt work i said they put out a shocking beam pattern.

I really can't be bothered writing up some massive posts - but halogen use a fillament - HID's use an arc to obtain the light.
google it and find it - or read thru mavs' posts...

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Heaps of science here too.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2