AU custom front bar - plastic welding questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: AU custom front bar - plastic welding questions
Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

**EDITED from original questions: today bought a t1 te50 genuine plastic bar which I got for a pretty good price (needs minor fixing).

I'm thinking of essentially cutting the grille/bar off where it will intersect with the series 1 bonnet and using my own black grille. Further I am getting a trashed series 1 tickford front lip (don't really want to cut my original up) so that i can make the ts50 bar have the rise at the front of the wheel arch (to match where the skirt is on the back of the front wheel arch).

New Questions:
1. Am going to give plastic welding myself a go. Have been doing some research and picking up a variable temperature soldering iron and I have a blow torch which can be used on low heat. Thinking of getting correct filler rods or scrap plastic from a wrecked bar and essentially using soldering iron like a tig gun. Does anyone have any further insight/experience to share?
2. What products would people recommend for gluing plastic and plastic primers?

Thanks,
Nick

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AU t3 ts50 front bar with series 1 bonnet/tickford kit
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Questions:
1. If I get a standard or aftermarket t3 ts50 bar, will my standard headlights, bumper absorption panel and splashguards etc fit on?
2. Are the Fibresports products okay? Have read about and seen some dodgey fibreglass bars before, ba gt bars not staying up etc
3. What products would people recommend for gluing plastic/fibreglass or fibreglass/fibreglass, body fillers and primers?

:(

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Questions:
1. If I get a standard or aftermarket t3 ts50 bar, will my standard headlights, bumper absorption panel and splashguards etc fit on?
A: Standard Headlights etc will be OK.

2. Are the Fibresports products okay? Have read about and seen some dodgey fibreglass bars before, ba gt bars not staying up etc
A: I bought a TS50 T3 Bar from Carmate in Sydney and this was of a very High Standard. Fibresports stuff is good as well. Stay away from SSV as they are only resellers. New Gel in Canberra produce top Quality stuff as well.

3. What products would people recommend for gluing plastic/fibreglass or fibreglass/fibreglass, body fillers and primers?
A: Don't cut it up, get a High series bonnet and you will be more than happy with the look.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XR8-FORD-FAL ... 45fad8de1b

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FALCON-AU2-3 ... 2eb4a9f6a0

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks, good to hear about carmate as had found varying opinions but none on ford parts.

Regardless of the bonnet situation I will still need to do some cutting, as want to incorporate the tickford lip onto the front of the wheel arches so it lines up with the rest of the kit already on my car...I revised the above images.

I am also thinking now everything will be in fibreglass as not having luck finding a plastic TS50 bumper without paying over $2000, and never wanted to cut up a plastic tickford skirt unless it was already wrecked :(

EDIT: the below picture is of a t3 ts50 bar, not the t1 te50 bar I got, but the changes are still relevant 8-)

EVL098 wrote:

Last edited by skidder on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Nick, I have a complete kit with a wrecked skirt, if your interested.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Post subject: Re: AU custom front bar - plastic welding questions
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I edited the first post to get rid of the options I was considering as purchased a bar today.

Also sorry Brett, my weekend got away from me with work/preparing for uni exams, will give you a call this week to sort out when I can grab the front lip.

Questions in the first post have also been updated :D

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

don't chop the bar up - use the chance to f**k off the ugly grill at the front!
chase a bonnet down and it'll look heaps better

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Don't worry, the ugly a** grill is going lol. The bar will be getting chopped like in the photo of the t3 one above, and then either a modified grill or one that I will make up myself.

The bar I am getting needs a few repairs anyway though (don't feel right about cutting up genuine tickford bits unless they are in decent need of repair anyway) regardless of whether I change bonnets. Hence the need for plastic repairs.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

still the lines dont match - i rekon you should chase a s2/s3 bonnet

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
still the lines dont match - i rekon you should chase a s2/s3 bonnet

I will think about it...considering I would then have to pay to get it resprayed also.

In the meantime, regardless of the bonnet choice I need to make repairs to the bar if anyone has any advice on products, procedures etc etc Particularly primers which people have used on plastic

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
I edited the first post to get rid of the options I was considering as purchased a bar today.

Also sorry Brett, my weekend got away from me with work/preparing for uni exams, will give you a call this week to sort out when I can grab the front lip.

Questions in the first post have also been updated :D

Nick, it's all good, I was tearing apart the XR8. I've got the skirt sitting at work waiting, so I'll be able to do it any afternoon, or I could do it on the Weekend.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]