Fordmods Logo

AU Front Bumper Removal... advice? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: AU Front Bumper Removal... advice?
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I will be fitting a trans cooler myself soon which looks pretty easy, but have no idea where to start on pulling the front bumper off my AU Fairmont

Could someone please post a quick rundown on where most of the bolts & screws are

Post subject: Re: AU Front Bumper Removal... advice?
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

I thought it was gonna be a pain aswell but I had it off in 20 minutes even without knowing where the f**k the bolts were. This could be different cos mines an XR but I reckon itll be the same.

Pop the bonnet, undo the 2 inside bolts, the outside bolts actually go through the headlight and you dont want those out (this could be XR specific as different light setup). Also remove the scrivets in the middle of the front bumper from the under bonnet sort of ledge thing. Close the bonnet, jack one side up, take the wheel off, and you have to take out the forward part of the inner guards on either side. Taking the wheel off makes this 10000000000 times easier. To get the inner guards (black plastic) out is a right C***, its s**t of scrivets and push in screws. I got angry and tore mine off and bolted it back on with some buts and bolts I had laying around (do not recommend this). When you have the inner guards off, there is a bracket on the front side of guards, it has 4 tiny screws going into it. Undo the ones for the bumper (bottom 2 I belive, you will have to check). While you are there, there is a big 13 or 14mm nut on a long thread on each front guard aswell. Take the nut completely off the thread. You need to sort of pull out on the bumper on each side to get the thread you just took the nut off out of the hole. Then with a bit of love it will sort of clip off, then you need to undo the indicator holders down the bottom and its off. I think it might only be XR's with the indicators down there.
PS: You can take it off pretty easy by yourself. Putting it back on requires 2 people.
PPS: Some AU's also have a bolt behind the number plate. I didnt, but Id take your front number plate off just to make sure.

Bit more info because I cant get the car out to take a picture like I wanted to:
Its just a bracket with 4 holes in it, connects the guard and bumper (theres one on each side of the car)
ITs sort of on an angle, I actually retract it being the bottom 2 because it might actually be the "top" 2. ITs sort of hard to explain, you will figure it out. This bracket gives you a bit of adjustment aswell when you go to put the bumper back on. So theres 2 screws on each side for thise, they are 8mm, take the wheel off and use a spanner. The 13 or 14mm nut is a nut with a round thing in the bottom of it, like a fixed washer, take that completely off, its brass coloured. The the ones under the bonnet and possibly the one behind the number plate. I will try get you some pics tonight.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks mate, that write up is more than what i expected, cheers

now when i tackle the job i know what & where to pay attention to. When i do mine, i may take a couple pics & post them here for future reference in case someone else tries searching the FM database and comes up with nothing :P

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

RHS, undo the 2 black bolts holding my blue bar on

LHS, as above

Centre "scrivets"

Bracket and nut you are looking for, in the inner guards

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok then cheers, so looks like just that 13/14mm nut "on the long thread" on both sides still applies to my fairmont.

still thanks to 93_eb_fairmont for the pics, at least the info is there now for XR owners

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok well i cant really contribute to the thread, as i found i didnt have to remove the bumper, and had enough room behind the grille to fit the trans cooler :lol:

However i did remove the 13mm bolt from one side, and took a pic of where it is. I put the wheel on full lock, pulled out the 3 plastic clips inside the guard, and one metal screw from the undertray.

This allowed me to peel back the plastic guard and gain access to the 13mm bolt. I did check behind the number plate and there was no bolt.......... so im left wondering, apart from the 13mm bolt on both sides, is that it???

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ah yeah, i forgot about the undertray........ but is that it? :shock:

So to sum up, to remove the front bumper from an AUII Fairmont, its a single 13mm nut each side as pictured, then just the various 10mm bolts that hold the undertray to the bumper

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

what was i so f**k worried about? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
what was i so f**k worried about? :lol: :lol:

LOL, thought the same thing when I got mine off and back on.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]