Fordmods Logo

au valve cover painting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: au valve cover painting
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:13 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr6 au 111

WA, Australia

hey is it worth the trouble to paint my au xr6 valve cover i was thinking bout spraying it red is it easy to do? :)

Post subject: Re: au valve cover painting
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Take a look at this thread matey.

post954390.html?hilit=paint%20tappet%20cover#p954390

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:17 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED Futura

VIC, Australia

Whatever the hell you do, dont do what that guys done, his mods are the tackiest and worst ive ever seen on a falcon. If your going to do it, do it properley. The way I see it, youve got two options,

1. You can get it powdercoated red, heat resistant and tough.

2. This is what I did I think it worked out a treat, I got it sprayed 2pac red, looks super shiny, good against heat and looks mad, if you can afford it thats what i would do. Can supply you a pic if you want.

"We will rise from chaos to elude this damnation, Hail horror, hail infernal world, better to reign in hell than serve in heaven"

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EAII Ghia & AUII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I did a backyard job on mine and it's standing up pretty well so far. I used the high temp paint but one day I might get it powdercoated. If you do it yourself make sure you clean it up thoroughly first.

Here's before and after of just what a painted rocker cover can do to an engine bay

1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia
Platinum Silver - 5 speed

EL engine, BBM, SVO wheels, Sprint kit, Scorcher front bar, XR lip, EF handles, mirrors & fuel flap, 2.5" exhaust, pacemaker extractors and high flow cat, serpentine conversion, AU rocker cover, heaps more

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Mate its piss easy, ive done the one on my EF, just a normal EF rocker cover though, have got an AU one that i'll be respraying in gloss black that will go on soon. Definately worth the trouble though if you do a good job, it'll make the engine bay look much prettier :wink:

Strip the original coating off the rocker cover it if it has one using paint stripper. Scrape all the paint off, wet sand it smooth, best to start with something course to remove pitting in the cast then work your way up to like 600-800 grit. Wipe it down with wax and grease remover. Spray some primer down first if you want, i use a silver groundcoat made by Duplicolor, it works quite well and is quite thick so it fills up slight pitting if you do a few coats. Then a couple of coats of whatever colour you want. If you want, spray a few coats of clear on over your chosen colour. I waited a few days or so then did a cut and polish on mine and it came up shiny as f**k lol.

If you want to get it powdercoated, you'll need to sand it back pretty smooth to remove as much pitting as you can or else it'll look s**t, i had an EF one sandblasted and then powdercoated without listening to the advice the guy who was coating it gave me, all the pitting in the cast killed the finished result, so i bought another rocker cover and sprayed it at home lol. Good thing about powdercoat though, is that it is much more durable than paint is.

Heres my attempt..

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Here's a couple of pics of the EF rocker cover I painted and put on my ED.....
It's only a quick paint job using VHT hi temp paint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]