au wagon suspension 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: au wagon suspension
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 03 Ba XR8

NSW, Australia

hey one of my mates who knows a suspension mob can get my whole car suspension compressed and made lower using the original springs and leafs

is this wise apparently he said it is stronger but im a little hisitant to think so.. help me out please

thanks michael

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

For front springs forget about it, IF it can be done properly it wouldnt be worth it.

Reseting rear leafs is a common practice, it has pros and cons.

Resetting the leaf springs to a lower height without increasing leaves reduces load carrying (other than the height difference) and may increase tramp as a flatter spring is easier to flex.

Lowering blocks are cheap, does not reduce load carrying (other than reduced height) and can be removed and put back to standard in no time at all, but it to can increase tramp too.

There is other pros and cons, others can fill you in on, got to get to work now :D

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

as macca said, lowering blocks are cheap, but i'm pretty sure that they are illegal. But they are probably the cheapest way to go if your not to fussed with the legalities.

84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I think we went looking for if they were illegal before, but couldn't find anything with ADR's or RTA technical bulletins, best to contact RTA technical section to find out for sure, then ask for literature in regards to this.

The good thing about lowering blocks is it is easy to return to original height or to change heights, if the height isnt lower enough or to low, you can buy lowering blocks at different heights i.e. 1.5", 2", 3" etc.

Resetting leaves on the other hand isn't easy to change height, easier to have another standard set of springs.

I used to use lowering blocks in my XF wagon, the Cleveland had a lot of torque and I had problems with them moving (bit of a worry to see them spun around after a quick quirt and the ubolts were checked afterwards), I have used them since without problems, but I also never had that sort of torque since or abused them as much, today the blocks are better quality billet alloy, not cheap poor cast with crap ubolts, which was the only thing easy to come by back then.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]