Fordmods Logo

BA-BF-FG Falcon wheel dimensions. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: BA-BF-FG Falcon wheel dimensions.
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Falcon BF mkII ES

VIC, Australia

Okay, time to start doing math!

I own a BFII falcon sedan, and I have been looking around for a month or two for a set of wheels that suit my style and suit my car.
Unfortunately my preferred style is old school muscle rims...
Like these Ridler 695 series from VPW.com.au

After talking to a few people, I've come to the conclusion that the maximum backspacing allowed at the front is 139.3mm, which is a 9" width wheel with a +25mm or lower offset (This is to avoid hitting the suspension). I know my math is fairly accurate because I used the same "formula" with my standard wheel dimensions, then measured using a good old measuring tape and ruler. Just for peoples information my Std 17x7.5" wheels with a 36mm* offset have a backspace of 131.25mm.
*From what I've read, correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not too worried about the rears, as I've read and seen people putting 10" width wheels on the rear and having good clearance.

Now, these wheels I am looking at (Yes, the one pictured above :P) have 2 sizes which may be suitable;
18x8.5 - 114.3 + 0, which have a back spacing of 107.95mm. OR
18x9.5 - 114.3 + 6, which have a back spacing of 126.65mm.

Now my first concern is, that both of these wheels are going to look bloody stupid and stick about a meter out of my guard.

Now, the other set of wheels I was looking at were these;
They are Bullitt style Ford Mustang wheels from CJ Pony Parts.
These come in a few sizes, though I have only listed ones that I find suitable;
18x9 - 114.3 + 36mm. I've been told these won't fit, unless i fit about 11mm of spacer, which I'm not too keen on...
20x8.5 - 114.3 + 36mm. According to math, these would give me a backspacing of 144mm. So I would need to put a minimum of 5mm spacers on, again I'm not too keen on the spacers. I do not know the legality or the safety factor of spacers.
This style of wheel also comes in 18x8.5 if people do look it up, but that size (for some reason) only comes in a +50mm offset. ??

So basically after I've given you all this information;
i) I would like someone to enlighten me on how I can figure out if a wheel is going to stick outside the guard.
ii) Also need to find out about wheel spacers, because all the threads I seem to find confuse wheel spacers with hub adapters. So point me in the right direction or give me some information on how thick you can get until you encounter problems, and legality. And which brands have quality spacers.
and iii) Anyone that knows of similar rims in taste to the ones pictured above, that would fit my car.

Now time to soak my hands in a bucket of ice from typing so much.

Post subject: Re: BA-BF-FG Falcon wheel dimensions.
Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

An 8 +36.5 is standard. A. 8.5 +25 to +36 will fit on the front. 9.5 +40 rear.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your reply mate :) though it seems Vpw sell what's named 695 retro, which is ridler that's made to fit modern day falcons and Commodores. That makes it easy as pie for me :)

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

So yeah, ended up getting these bad boys;

I love the look of them. They're different, haven't seen any other modern falcon or commodore driving around on similar wheels. It would suck if they were as common as Dark Agents, which every P plater seems to put on falcons.
Just got them today, and a set of Achilles fitted by my mates over at Knox Tyrepower.
Got to lower it a bit more though, haha.
*Edit* And definitely clean up the view behind the wheels. Paint the calipers black or grey or something...

Thoughts?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]