NSW, Australia

hey all i need advice on how to fit this

cheers

Post subject: Re: ba buldge with gt shaker onto a ef wagon
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

geez I reckon you'd have your work cut out for you there - I've stared at this photo for 5 minutes and its hard to see exactly how you'd merge the two surfaces together without it looking like a dogs breakfast.. the curves are all different so you'd either need to cut into the bonnet to set it into it or drastically modify the bulge to fit - either way would cost you, by the looks , at least some of the height of the bulge which kinda takes away the reason for doing it in the first place...
I know you didn't ask `should I do this'? but unless you can get it looking factory I think it would end up looking bad (and I hate to say that in my humble opinion it would be nearly impossible to get it to look good, particularly with the shaker to mess the lines up further)

I'm sooo trying to not be negative but it just looks like a few too many lines and bulges on what started out being a very clean design - I've always thought EF's and EL's had very clean looking styling in the front but at the end of the day its your car - best of luck but I think you have a very challenging job ahead of you..

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

As tearlejc said, all the lines are wrong.

It can be done but it will be a lot of work and not for someone that is not experienced in doing it.

My advice is to come to Livo on Friday night and I will have a good look to see if it will work and see what can be done. It is not just a case of sticking the bulge to the bonnet. You will need to open up the steel skin so pressure will not build up, though in this case it may be vented if the scop is open, and then again this will let water into the space with nowhere to go and rust will start.

Bulge looks like it will need to be cut down and reshaped to suit the bonnet and this depends on how thick the fiberglass is on the bulge. This is not going to be cheap if done properly and then it will need to be painted.

If you want to know what I mean have a look a Terrorist Ghia's build thread with his bonnet.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

would definatly like to see this finished, not sure if it will look good or not, i think if you can get it to look like its built into the bonnet and not bolted on top it will look good

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
As tearlejc said, all the lines are wrong.

It can be done but it will be a lot of work and not for someone that is not experienced in doing it.

My advice is to come to Livo on Friday night and I will have a good look to see if it will work and see what can be done. It is not just a case of sticking the bulge to the bonnet. You will need to open up the steel skin so pressure will not build up, though in this case it may be vented if the scop is open, and then again this will let water into the space with nowhere to go and rust will start.

Bulge looks like it will need to be cut down and reshaped to suit the bonnet and this depends on how thick the fiberglass is on the bulge. This is not going to be cheap if done properly and then it will need to be painted.

If you want to know what I mean have a look a Terrorist Ghia's build thread with his bonnet.

thats what i want to do i want to cut the skin of so it actually works when i make my custom air filter box

sorry i cant make it to livopool because i just recently moved to coffs harbour

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

This is the way a shaker should be done on a six. Thanks to fordebgt93.

Attachments:
EB Skaker 2.jpg
EB Skaker 2.jpg [ 40.31 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]
EB Skaker.jpg
EB Skaker.jpg [ 38.58 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i looked in to that but it was way to much $$$, but this was bang for your bucks.

I am determined to put it on, it is going to be working as a direct cold air induction.

as for the gt shaker, it is a open mouth. So before i put it on i will be putting a filter in behind the mesh to stop water to come in.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:

thats a fukin top setup.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
SWC wrote:

thats a fukin top setup.

Thank You, it was one of my projects.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

SWC has sort of beat me to what I was about to suggest - in your picture, you've basically placed the bulge on the bonnet in the centre - which means that the shaker proportionally when compared to the whole bonnet looks too far forward - it looks like its sort of falling forward over the length of the bonnet. If you look at the one SWC has posted, even though it is a shaker only and not a bulge, its much further back...now, apart from the looks of the shaker's location, I reckon the bulge would actually be easier to locate too as it would take care of the curve at the rear of the bulge more easily..obviously you'd have to trim the back of the bulge moulding to make it fit but in the overall scheme of things that'd be one of the easier parts of doing this...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
bry40l wrote:
SWC wrote:

thats a fukin top setup.

Thank You, it was one of my projects.

wanna do an el? :twisted:
looks tops, ive seen a few things on the forum youv done and they all look the goods

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

killer_ef wrote:
i looked in to that but it was way to much $$$, but this was bang for your bucks.

I am determined to put it on, it is going to be working as a direct cold air induction.

as for the gt shaker, it is a open mouth. So before i put it on i will be putting a filter in behind the mesh to stop water to come in.

If you are opening the bonnet up there will be no need to put a filter behine the mesh.

As for you cost..... doing the GT shaker would not be much more than getting your bonnet done, don't forget that you will need to paint it. And by the look of your car, it is Cardinal Red, which will be a b**ch to match unless the paint has been looked after.

If you want to go ahead down this track, I would recommend getting another GLi Bonnet and working on that so you can take your time.

PS Check your PM's.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

im not fussed about getting it painted at the moment because i have to get a few dings out first and my plan is to getting it resprayed in a 2 tone color like the telstar tx5 gun metal grey on the bottom and Cardinal Red on top

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i was looking at the FORD FALCON FAIRMONT GHIA and the bonnet is more of a flatter look then the ef

what will i need to change it over to the el front end?

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

change over to the fairmont bonnet? you will need to change the bonnet to any fairmont ef/el bonnet, front bumper bar and i think the headlights

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next