Fordmods Logo

BA Headlight Condensation? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Headlight Condensation?
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

Ok so I used the search :shock: function and read the 2 or so threads that came up and neither really offered a solution. So I have an XR drivers side headlight that in anything other than a 30 degree + day looks like it's crying :cry: , (Read misty eyed :roll: ). To my way of thinking if the headlight housing is completely sealed and has air trapped in it you will get condensation when the air heat and cools? (right? :?: ) so that leads me to think that there should be a breather hole somewhere to let the air out when expanding and in when cooling. I must admit I didnt really have a good look over the lights when I got them but could the problem be a blocked or even missing breather hole? Has anyone noticed a breather hole in the headlight assembly, or has one handy they could look over. If I can I like to find a semi if not definite answer before I have to pull the front off this thing again? :(
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Post subject: Re: BA Headlight Condensation?
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

They certainly should have breathers on them. From memory they're fitted with two at least.

Are they genuine headlights? I recently had a set of after market BA headlights and the guy complained of condensation. Well when I got them I found that the sealant had come away in a section about 10 inches long along the top of the headlight where the lens joins.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hhmmm, they are after market ones from SSV, and I must admit I didnt have a very close look at them all at them. I guess off comes the front so i can get it out.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

do you have to take the front bumper off to get headlights out?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I dont think it has to come all the way off, just enough to get at the bolts holding the lights in place. I figure its safer taking the front off all the way rather than leave it hanging and risk braking somthing like a mount :cry: . The whole headlight area is a bad design, you can barely get your MAN sized hands in to change any of the headlight globes, without taking the battery and airbox out :evil: . The front indicators can only be accessed by pulling the inner guard away. (and thats the cheating way! :shock: In the book they want you to remove the front wheel and inner gaurd to chang an indicator globe. :roll: ) In anycase the front on mine has to come off as the Friggin washer bottle motor has s**t it's self and thats tucked away in the front aswell :evil: .

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:
I dont think it has to come all the way off, just enough to get at the bolts holding the lights in place. I figure its safer taking the front off all the way rather than leave it hanging and risk braking somthing like a mount :cry: . The whole headlight area is a bad design, you can barely get your MAN sized hands in to change any of the headlight globes, without taking the battery and airbox out :evil: . The front indicators can only be accessed by pulling the inner guard away. (and thats the cheating way! :shock: In the book they want you to remove the front wheel and inner gaurd to chang an indicator globe. :roll: ) In anycase the front on mine has to come off as the Friggin washer bottle motor has s**t it's self and thats tucked away in the front aswell :evil: .

fuk me wat a dumb design. wish i still had my XE.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 NA

VIC, Australia

hey dude i had the same issue with my BA XR6 i tryed removing the rubber caps off the back of the head lamps and it seamed to of fixxed the issue as these head lamps hold massive heat in them but also saying that it also stop my globes blowing every 5 minutes as well as the heat would not escape but give it a go as see what happenes as it works for some and not for others

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I already did that yesterday :lol: , just waiting for a hot enough day to steam the water out of them. :x Ah Bloody Melbourne weather :roll: .

I wish I still had my old Volksy, Just 1 screw held the headlight in, and it wasnt hidden behind anything, just fully exposed under the headlight ring 8-) . Simple. Ahhh the Good old days, 4 wheel drum brakes..... wait they wernt so good. :lol: :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]