Fordmods Logo

ba headlights 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ba headlights
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford Falcon BF 2005 XR6

VIC, Australia

just woundering sounds stupid but im probally just going about it the wrong way,
im trying to change globes in the head lights in a ba xt 2003
ive taken the air filter box completely out, and im thinking i might have to take the battery out as well, but yerh even with all that room i cannot get the globes out without completely removing the head lights, if there is a method or a trick that i can use it would be very helpful, thanks guys
im trying to do high beams and parkers

Post subject: Re: ba headlights
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

I recently changed the globe on the battery side in my BA. Once you remove the battery, you should see a rubber cup where all the headlight cables are coming from. You should be able to peel this back slightly and twist the holder out, with the globe in it. From what I remember, there's no need to remove any cables. A similar procedure would apply for the other globe.

Just a note: be EXTRA CAREFUL not to touch the new globe anywhere on the glass while fitting. If you get the slightest finger print on it, the bulb will burst when you turn the headlight on.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

where the cable goes to the globe of your choice, there should be a plug. the plug has two push in clips, one either side. once undone remove the rubber boot. you will then find a clip holding the globe in, it looks like a piece of bent wire. same design as the au. push it in on the outer edge and slightly up and it should undo. put new globe in and reverse to put back together.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

vertg0 wrote:
I recently changed the globe on the battery side in my BA. Once you remove the battery, you should see a rubber cup where all the headlight cables are coming from. You should be able to peel this back slightly and twist the holder out, with the globe in it. From what I remember, there's no need to remove any cables. A similar procedure would apply for the other globe.

Just a note: be EXTRA CAREFUL not to touch the new globe anywhere on the glass while fitting. If you get the slightest finger print on it, the bulb will burst when you turn the headlight on.

isnt it the sealer on the end that your not ment to touch thats what i have always been told
correct me if im wrong but from my experiance im not i always hold the globe by either the glass or tin base

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

s**t job if you ask me... i hate changing the globes on my BA!

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:41 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

especially the fog lights. :x

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Kenay wrote:
vertg0 wrote:

isnt it the sealer on the end that your not ment to touch thats what i have always been told
correct me if im wrong but from my experiance im not i always hold the globe by either the glass or tin base

you should never touch the glass top half of a globe. the grease or oils on your skin can create hotspots on the glass and cause it to pop. always handle the globe with a clean rag or aviod touching the glass entirely.

Removing globes from any cars headlights is always a pain in the butt. at least the ba's are better than ef and el models where you had to half dismantle the front of the car and remove a million scrivets to replace them. :shock:

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ED's were so simple though... didn't have to remove anything at all to get to them...

They made it harder as the cars got newer did they?

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EBII

QLD, Australia

I reckon man up, I've changed them three times now without removing the battery or air box. You just need to be careful.

EB II
Genie Headers, Redback 2,1/2 exhaust. BA XR8 Intake.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Punnisher_42 wrote:
Kenay wrote:
vertg0 wrote:

you should never touch the glass top half of a globe. the grease or oils on your skin can create hotspots on the glass and cause it to pop. always handle the globe with a clean rag or aviod touching the glass entirely.

Removing globes from any cars headlights is always a pain in the butt. at least the ba's are better than ef and el models where you had to half dismantle the front of the car and remove a million scrivets to replace them. :shock:

on my ef i just undo a screw cover with a 1/8 twist and can replace parkers and driving lights...dont have to dismantle anything..and for high beams i just undo 2 screws to get to it...
not sure what ur talking about.

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i remember changing them on my dads el.. had to mess around with scrivets and stuff to get to them. don't tell me we did it wrong?? :(

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Punnisher_42 wrote:
i remember changing them on my dads el.. had to mess around with scrivets and stuff to get to them. don't tell me we did it wrong?? :(

im not sure..
i done mine about a week ago when i put in new headlights because i forgot to swap over before install...and went in easy as..bit of a struggle to get globe in as i have big hands..only had to undo two screws each headlight and take off back cover..

mines an ef..would there be a difference? anyone know?

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

OMG i know what you mean mate, my globes on my BF have been changed so many times, BECAREFUL not to let that clip (bent piece of wire) come undone because its a friggin B!tch to get back in, mine actually fell out and into the damn headlight assembly, my mate who was a panel beater we had to take the front bar off and take the headlight out just to get the damn clip out!(there is a nice gap for some reason in the headlight for it to fall into and disappear) and you cant just buy the clip, you would have to buy the whole headlight again (this is what ford spare parts told me when i actually worked there, was definatly considering nicking one from a wholesale car LOL). But yes taking the air box and also battery out made it alot easier because there is F**k all room in the front of them, when my bulbs pop (touchwood) im going to get a HID conversion kit to solve the problem :P

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 05' model BA XT MkII

WA, Australia

hey guys, i've recently changed my BA globes and it was a pain before figuring how to do it lol. my old ED was a piece of cake, we managed to do it without removing the battery, but we did have to take out the airbox!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Teza wrote:
hey guys, i've recently changed my BA globes and it was a pain before figuring how to do it lol. my old ED was a piece of cake, we managed to do it without removing the battery, but we did have to take out the airbox!

i know what you mean mate, i just get the local garage to fit them for me, save my fiddling around with it all, you got any tricks when changing them?

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next