Best preperation methods? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Best preperation methods?
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

As some of you may or may not know, i have purchased an ED XR front conversion. My problem is i have the grille, but it is white and my car is polynesian green.
What is the best type of sand paper/ Wet and Dry to use?? Which grades to use, and in what order to get it prepped?
After that what else needs to be done besides the obvious of bogging any damage and primer, then paint. Any other little things i will need to know?

Cheers.
Or if you can point me in the right direction to an old topic, as i did a search and it dudded out on me.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

My cars white, problem solved!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
My cars white, problem solved!
haha i love that comment good 1 m8. i think use wet n dryor anything of a high grade into the thousands thust to roughen it up a little. then again its only the grille its no a massive job ahead

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i was gonna do a quickish job as i have access to a compressor and spray gun etc. Just to save some money and get the conversion done.
Just want a quick sand back and painting, so it looks decent and doesnt look s**t up against the car. In english i want it to look almost factory.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

sand back the old paint (if the old paints flaking and that make sure you get it all off and thoughly remove everything - if it's in good condition then you can porbably be lazy and skip primer, just spray your colour over it once you've given it a bit of a sand). clean thoroughly with degreaser and wax remover. spray with plastic primer. sand it smooth. degrease and wax remover. spray with colour, spray with clear and buff. works fien for me!

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah what grade sand paper/WnD did you use for that?? As i can get almost any grit papaer from school.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

TwinturboBMX wrote:
Yeah what grade sand paper/WnD did you use for that?? As i can get almost any grit papaer from school.

Something nice and high. I don't think I've ever used below 800 on my body kit.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i was thinking of just using 800, to clean it up and get it nice and smooth. Then in between coats using something a bit finer. just between the first and second coats. Then maybe if i feel up to it between the last coat and clear.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

TwinturboBMX wrote:
Yeah i was thinking of just using 800, to clean it up and get it nice and smooth. Then in between coats using something a bit finer. just between the first and second coats. Then maybe if i feel up to it between the last coat and clear.

Yeah when I can be bothered I give it a really light sand between colour and clear. But never bothered doing it between say coats of colour. Remember to rather do 100 light coats, than 3 thick coats and get runs.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Your going take forever sanding back with fine paper like that for no extra gain.

Start with 180 on the existing paint, rub out all stone chips etc. Then rub it down with 400. Whipe over with some Prepsol to remove any trace of dust & grime. Spray with Primer/filler. Sand primer with 800 till smooth then 1200 to finish off. Once again whipe over with Prepsl. Spray with colour, DO NOT sand metallic colours! Clear coat over all Metallic paints. You can lightly rub back the clear with 2000 if needed before cutting & Polishing.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the tips guys.
So it looks like its going to go like this.
Sand back original colour etc until i am satisfied. Clean the grille so no trace of any grime or dust. Apply coat, let dry, apply coat, let dry (another if i feel like taking the time), Then apply clear coat. Cut 'n' polish, let dry, stand back admire my dodgy job, then show to mates. Fit to car, take photos show fordmods community.

Okay is it best to go for the full effort of buying a small mixture in a tin so can be used with a compressor etc? Or better to buy say 2-3 spray packs, and do it that way?
*note* the grille will be on there for a maximum of 1- 1 1/2 years.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

i'd use the compressor.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]