Fordmods Logo

Car Detailing Tips & Tricks Part II 

Page 24 of 29 [ 427 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next

Post subject: Re: Car Detailing Tips & Tricks Part II
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 AU1 Tickford XR6 VCT - galaxy

SA, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
maybe someone here will have experience with it or know about it more than me

but ive heard about CarPro CQuartz and ive notcied its really expensive for just 30mls of the stuff
how much do you need to apply like does 30ml only do 1 panel or the whole car ?
is the stuff any good ?

sorry mate, I didnt see this post until today, must be going blind
Cquartz is excellent gear, I was one of the first in the southern hemispere to test
Like most coatings, it is a little more advanced in its application methods. not as simple as wipe on wipe off.

but worth the investment.

June 9 - Sept 3 - in boise idaho USA
Sept 5 - ressurecting the AU XR Falcon and back in the car scene

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay it is time for a quick tip

This applies to corrective polishes mostly (abrasive)
If you put enough product to half or 3/4 fill a bottle cap with any abrasive polish, you can tell how glossy the finish is going to be on your car when you're done as long as good technique is applied

Any compound, swirl remover, polish or foam pad glaze that has no or low reflective properties in it when looked at under a light, that means it may cut well but may leave marring behind that you will have to chase down with further pads or product and will not leave a finish that is too your liking

The more reflective the polish looks, the cut will be there but the finish will be much more dazzling

Technology has changed alot in the polishing product and detailing industry therefore a product with high reflection will still have the cut level to remove sanding marks, marring, RIDS, swirls and scratches but finish incredibly well.

next time your at an auto parts store, crash shop supply store or detail supply companies van or shop, take a closer look at their polishes before you buy.

And remember, today you only need one or maximum two polishes to remove all those defects in your paint.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Aurora 98 wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
Haven't see you for a while Matt, how are you? Hope everything is ok.

I got a quote to fix my paintwork, needs the boot painting and the bonnet plus bumper bar, about $1500.00 :shock:

G'day george
Paint is never cheap and neither is labour

I'm coming to sydney in a few months time so I'll see you and lucifa very soon

Can you detail my car while your in Sydney???

It's a white EF XR6 and the paint is abit chalky........

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

hey mate will the CarPro CQuartz protect from bird craps as im currently relining on on pure carnauba wax it does the job but i have to remove the wax once a bird has crapped on it and re-apply (this gets annoying) and when my car is all detailed and shiny birds tend to hit it more than when i leave it and let it get messy

ive just done a whole weekend detail on the car and already a magpie has attacked the car and 4 big s**t have been found and 1 little one

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'm coming to sydney in a few months time so I'll see you and lucifa very soon[/quote]

Can you detail my car while your in Sydney???

It's a white EF XR6 and the paint is abit chalky........[/quote]

I won't be able to because my gear wont be there but there are two places and people I highly recommend you go to

Nic Sutic at Detroit Custom Bodyworks
Offers detailing in his restoration shop and loves fords and owns them

Rodger Lomberg at XPERT Direct Auto Detailing centre

http://www.xpertdirect.com.au/

http://www.detroitcustom.com.au/

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
hey mate will the CarPro CQuartz protect from bird craps as im currently relining on on pure carnauba wax it does the job but i have to remove the wax once a bird has crapped on it and re-apply (this gets annoying) and when my car is all detailed and shiny birds tend to hit it more than when i leave it and let it get messy

ive just done a whole weekend detail on the car and already a magpie has attacked the car and 4 big s**t have been found and 1 little one

well nothing fully protects from bird droppings but cquartz sure hinders them well
How are you removing the bird droppings?

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Aurora 98 wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

well nothing fully protects from bird droppings but cquartz sure hinders them well

wash the affected area then have to clay bar to remove the rest of it as the dropping leaves the shape in the wax or sealer/glazer and i have to replace them once the mark is gone

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
Aurora 98 wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

wash the affected area then have to clay bar to remove the rest of it as the dropping leaves the shape in the wax or sealer/glazer and i have to replace them once the mark is gone

using a quick detailer to remove it or infinity dewaxer or ultra wash will not strip any protectant on the paint but safely remove the bird dropping.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Today I received the shipment of supplies I need to make a new batch of Photo Finish and I will be testing the formulation day in day out for a few weeks on all sorts of different paints by hand and random orbital (not for rotary or drum polisher use) and once I am really happy with it, put your hands up for some product and I'll send small amounts out to a few people

I've had this formula for two years and tweaked it bit by bit but want to make sure its safe for all paint types and wont marr any finish

From there, Its on to shockwave, the seals and tyre cleaner Polish and the CLAY MATE lube which I also have tonnes of one ingredient in stock now and this stuff makes clay stick to paint like a magnet if it slips out of your hands during use. Not sure if the final version will be able to keep that attribute though as it will be somewhat runnier. we shall see.

However there is something I have gallons and gallons of which is a double action paint cleanser for removal of very fine defects and general paint revival. Its mainly chemical non abrasive type with some incredibly fine non diminishing abrasive technology in it.
I used it recently by rotary with polishing pad at low speed to remove a bird crap etching mark and swirls on a friends car in two minutes.

This is something you could use as a prep step before additional products on your paint

Here is some of my most recent work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai9EufMQtfI

And this is my next refinishing project which will be used for product testing and development of more skills.including wet sanding by machine using a gel product to lubricate the discs instead of water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAXsZl3iIyk

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I'm very interested Matt. Anything that will help the paint on my AU look better until it gets painted late this year will be great.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

hi Matt,whats in the goodies bag for chalky white paint on vr and vt commodores,i want to chemical clean and then polish,you can send some samples.the glass looks interesting,pm me.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

A number of things will take care of oxidation
EXTREME OXIDATION - sanding
HEAVY OXIDATION - Glare Zero then paint correction with XPERT Ultra 1000 single polish system
MILD - MEDIUM - Glare Zero then XPERT 1500 High Tech or Glare Micro Finish & Restructure Marine Crystal Diamond Glass Glaze
LIGHT OXIDATION - Paint Purifier - My motion lotion or Shockwave Deep Cleaner & Purifier

Do not automatically assume with oxidation that cutting the paint back is the only remedy
Glare Zero and Shockwave are two very powerful chemical and physical paint purifiers

Shockwave is getting closer to formulation completion but this is NOT A POLISH, it may be able to remove defects but it is totally different to any other detailing product ever made as it gravitates into paint pores and the substrate and removes impurities as well as abrasively restore the colour of the paint like a facial scrub works on our skin

The days where paint can only be repaired via using a compound and a wool pad are long gone
Yes it still has its place but shouldnt be our only tool for repair

Post subject: All a part of maintenance
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I wish to debunk the theory held by many that vehicle detailing is a luxury service for the select few who can pay for it, those with a fancy car and only necessary now and then, when the carpet and seats are dirty.

It is for all vehicles on the roads today and should be treated similarly to mechanical maintenance.
Many in America wait until their interior is filthy before calling a detailer to get it cleaned up and alot do not care for the outside appearance

The vehicle you own is your image to the world so why mistreat it and allow it to look mediocre
Make it dazzle like the stars at night and show the world just how special and amazing you are

Here are the problems associated with not taking regular care of your vehicles surfaces via a professional detailer or doing it yourself

Rust on alloy wheels from excessive brake dust buildup
Faded, scratchy paintwork
Plastic chrome chipped off or scratched up and dull.
Wheel arches covered in dirt, grime and even mud which can eventually lead to rust on some vehicles and enough build up can cause fuel economy losses
Interior saturated in bacteria in air conditioning/heating system which makes you sick
Use up more fuel, go through wiper blades like mad in winter.
dirty windscreen and wiper blades scratches the glass.
Poor resale value

TO BE CONTINUED

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

However a vehicle that is regularly kept clean and detailed inside and out gives

Great resale value
Pride of Ownership
Stand out from the crowd -especially those with the same model car as you
Healthy interior environment - no germs or bacteria
Better fuel economy as the car isnt having to carry a winters load of mud and grime
Wheels stay cleaner and dont need acid cleaners
Vehicle hardly or never ages - a car of 30 years old can look better than new if enough care is taken
No need for wiper blades during bad weather - unless you live in the NT
Super easy cleaning and save money as less products and time needed to keep car clean
Portrays a positive image of yourself to others - who doesnt love a really clean car

Ever notice how much better to drive, a car that is regularly washed and detailed is compared to one that isnt

Very little water and time is required today to wash a vehicle and the leaders of the Australian detailing industry (the true pro's) are not treating your car with harsh petro chemicals, heavy cutting compounds, silicone and nasty smelling interior cleaners.

We are much more environmentally friendly and responsible today
And even if you wish to do it all yourself, there are tools and products at your disposal that will give you near to pro detailers results at your own home and at your leisure

It isnt hard anymore.
So why settle for a mediocre looking and smelling vehicle?

Coming up soon is a small video series on how to refinish your vehicle. The process involved and how to do it properly

everything from decontamination, claying, machine paint correction and how to repair paint without removing any of it, glazing, paint protection systems etc

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Couldn't agree more with you Matt.
I should have been more diligent with Lucifa and now I am paying for it with bad paint and cracks in the paint on the front bumper bar, not many people think of the outside as much as new tyres lowered suspension and super dooper exhaust and all other add on bling.

Matt, what would you suggest as a GOOD cutting compound for HAND use. I have been using Mother scratch removed and it does a reasonable job but obviously not a good fix. I got some supposedly good hand cut yesterday to use and it was TOTALLY useless and made more mess than it fixed.
I know it is a bandaid fix but I just want the boot and bonnet to stay black and not end up white before I can get something concrete done about it.
:)

Sort by  
 Page 24 of 29  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next