Fordmods Logo

Clear Side Repeaters for base EF/EL (not NF/NL Style) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lucky bastard hahah ive been waiting for these for like 6months on ebay and the one time i forget to get on a bid on em i fukn forget!!

ahwell let me know how they go

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Carefully lever the orange base away from the amber lens with instrument screwdrivers (worked for me) - you might break off bits of the lens - no big deal, as you'll probably ditch it. Glue the clear lens to the base.
The orange EF/EL indicator bases do vary - you want the ones with the chromed area around where the bulb sits. I recommend replacing the grey bases you get with Ratman's items with these orange ones - the lens looks so much better, and it will clip in properly.

The factory ones use glue akin to superglue, so I doubt you'll soften it - Ratmans items use a softer glue, which is easy to separate.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
lucky bastard hahah ive been waiting for these for like 6months on ebay and the one time i forget to get on a bid on em i fukn forget!!

ahwell let me know how they go
these are just lenses.. not the whole clear side repeater ppl have been wanting...

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

these are the ones i wanted i want to replace the orange ones ... this are like ratmans arnt they

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6T

QLD, Australia

im not sure mate he's not were i got mine. if you (or anyone else is interested let me know and ill see if i can get a group buy happening :wink:

BF XR6T: Atomic 698 rebuild, bigger huffer, all the Process West goodies, 4" Exhaust, ZF 6 speed tidy up, F6 kit, Boss Bonnet, Black 20" XHP s-35's, Kings sl's with monroe shocks, Street Tune: 396 rwkw on 18 psi. Race Tune: ......... see you at summernats :p

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ratmans was the entire thing in clear, this is jsut the lense

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

get em from streetlens.com for 45 + postage

i got a crap quote for a bulk buy and its not worth so much outlay for so little profit, considering ratman's price is very good considering you get the whole indicator

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

i got the amber lenses off of the bases :D it was super easy. came off no worries and didnt damage the base at all. now al i gotta do is superglue the clear lenses on and im good to go :D just over 30 bucks isnt bad for a set of clear side repeaters considering ghia ones are anything from 40 to 120 and ratmans are 75 (i think there 75 :? )

FYI: i found the best wat to get the amber lenses off was to heat the glue up with a hair dryer set on its highest, then start at the "front" of the lens and pry it up with a butter knife, stopping occasionally to re-heat the glue.
Dont lift the knife too high though, just slide it inbetween the lens and the back.
continue all the way along both sides (one at a time) and around the back and your done :wink:

BF XR6T: Atomic 698 rebuild, bigger huffer, all the Process West goodies, 4" Exhaust, ZF 6 speed tidy up, F6 kit, Boss Bonnet, Black 20" XHP s-35's, Kings sl's with monroe shocks, Street Tune: 396 rwkw on 18 psi. Race Tune: ......... see you at summernats :p

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I glued mine with araldite/epoxy - you don't need a lot, and smeared around the joins with some clear silicone to seal from water ingress - again you don't need a lot.

Be careful with superglue - it may leave a white residue on the lens, giving it a 'fogged up' look - so test on an amber lens first.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

i think ill give the super glue a miss and just do it that way :wink:

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

pics

Attachments:
DSC00295.JPG
DSC00295.JPG [ 137.59 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]
DSC00294.JPG
DSC00294.JPG [ 140.75 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
DSC00293.JPG
DSC00293.JPG [ 136.25 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

More :D

Attachments:
DSC00297.JPG
DSC00297.JPG [ 135.7 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]
DSC00296.JPG
DSC00296.JPG [ 128.81 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Ok, for all those that have pm'd and emailed me, thought I'd post here to clarify. I've seen the clear lenses as oulined above, before, yes they are cheaper but they are only the lense. I don't believe they are as good a quality as the complete units I've been able to source but they are not too bad. I have a sneaking suspicion that the clear lense will yellow a lot quicker than the one's I can get but again its only my opinion. I had mine on 3 cars for over 10 years and they still look new.

If u think you're pretty handy pulling things apart and putting them together then these lense only units are good buying, personally the orange sub base looks crap, the ones I get are grey. The manufacturer originally tested orange, dark & light grey, reflective silver and white plastics but the light grey looks the best.

If u choose to go with the lense only, don't use superglue to fix them, u will get a very foggy joint.
I'd also suggest that the orange clip in factory style will be hot items to thieves, I'd also run a couple of tabs of double sided tape under to make it more difficult to get them off.

For those who couln't be stuffed modifying or believe their time is worth more than the extra $30 per pair, I still have a very small number of complete sets to go, these will be the last for a fair while, if at all, as I have stated in past posts and other forums.

There's no replacement for XR8 displacement

Drivin' E'z is the only addiction

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol thanks

everyone says the above isnt the full unit, an ratman sells the full unit, i still have no idea what that means as it all looks the same

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2