Fordmods Logo

Clearcoat gone, how to improve car appearance? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Clearcoat gone, how to improve car appearance?
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

Hey guys, my bunky car has bad clearcoat peel and just generally s**t paint, i want to make it a bit more presentable.

The peel is on the roof boot and tops of doors and the paint is thin on the roof, car is silver.

I don't expect much of an improvement but the main thing i want is a decent consistent shine to the car as at the moment the front panels are in good condition.

Is there any miracle products out there for this?

I tried Meguiars colour revive on a few test spots on the car and it seems to have no effect at all.

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Post subject: Re: Clearcoat gone, how to improve car appearance?
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Once the clear has begun to peel there isn't much that will revive it other than getting the whole cars clear coat rubbed back to base and resprayed.
Best thing you can do is keep what's left of the clear in good nick to slow the spread of the peeling. Regular washing and waxing is key. I'd also steer away from using abrasive cutting compounds too much around the affected areas as this could increase the spread of the peeling.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Post subject: Re: Clearcoat gone, how to improve car appearance?
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If the clear coat is coming off and the colour has faded in comparison to the rest, there is no quick solution I don't think. Try sanding back the peeling clear coat around the already exposed colour with 1500-2000grit wet/dry sand paper a little till no more peeling can be seen, then spray a clear coat over the top (from a good spray can if you don't want to do the whole lot at once)...if the paint is still faded then there is no cure without respraying the whole panel the same colour.

My parents want me to fix their paint peeling issue on their cars, assuming I get time and can be a***, I'll probably sand the clear coat off the whole panel and see if the colour fading is really bad, if not I will just put 2 or 3 coats of clear. If bad, I'd have to sand it back a little further and put maybe 2 coats of colour before clear coat. As long as my parents buy me a good air compressor and accessories :D.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]