Fordmods Logo

converting a EB or ED GLI into an ED Fairmont GHIA 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: converting a EB or ED GLI into an ED Fairmont GHIA
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

howdy just want to know i really want to do up an EB or an ED and make it Look like an ED Fairmont GHIA what is the cheapest way of buying the parts to get it looking the best possible as im on a tight budget. basically i want to get a GLI EB Or ED and convert it into a fairmont, to do it i will put in fairmont ghia loom, full fairmont interior, probably another engine and gearbox out of a little later model, EF/EL Thermo fans, a full chrome ED Grill, all the ED fairmont ghia options and a paint job and keep it as my project car do you sugest i go to a wrecker and buy a shell or do you sugest i buy a gli model and convert it into a fairmont ghia. to get the parts as cheap as i can i'll go to a self serve wrecker and get the stuff or even on ebay as they are selling them cheap how much roughly would it cost to do the things i m asking about should only be $1500-$2500 at the most shouldnt it. please can you let me know if anyone else has done similar and how much and i look foward to your reply.

i want to do this as a hobby and something to do if i can get a relative with a big yard to store it out of the way

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EA SPAC 1990

VIC, Australia

It would be a whole lot cheaper to just buy a eb/ed fairmont ghia to start with rather than doing one up from a basic model.

WHO EVER SAID "TWOS COMPANY THREES A CROWD" OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAD A THREESOME

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

how much money roughly all up are you saying it will cost to do what i want to convert a GLI or Futura into a fairmont ghia

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

a fair bit, more time and the effort really

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EA SPAC 1990

VIC, Australia

Depends on what u are going to do ya self. With wot you have listed ya looking at over 10k plus at least. If u buy a ghia the cost would be a whole lot cheaper

WHO EVER SAID "TWOS COMPANY THREES A CROWD" OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAD A THREESOME

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

you could pick up a wrecked ED Fairmont from the auctions & swap it all into your car - if you're handy with tools, and prepared to spend the time, you could do it for $1-$1.5k (depending on the price of the wreck/condition etc!)

as an example - i picked up an EFII Fairmont Ghia, 138,000kms, full leather, 3.45 LSD, tickford engine etc - front end damage, for $1350 - sold parts worth about $3k, and kept another $3k or so worth for me :)

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:27 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Pretty easy.
Colour code the bumpers and sidemould, chrome stripe, chrome grill with centre piece sprayed silver, mid/hi spec front lip.

For the rest. get a Ghia wreck, chasing down the EBII-ED ghia stuff at wreckers is haaaaard.
Plus you'll need the CC conversion and power windows, also cruise if you don't have it.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XE 351 & BA XT FALCON

WA, Australia

Pity you dont live in perth wa.At a wreckers called pick a part in kenwick they have an ed fairmont ghia unregistered for 1500 ono.Metallic green,good condition grey interior and nice and straight body.If i had the cash i would have bought it. :D

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I had a standard EBII (pre smartlock) XR8 and did pretty much exactly what you are talking about in the interior.

I got a complete dash and heater box from a wrecked EBII (pre smartlock) Fairmont Ghia for $100 bucks. Two days later I had a fairmont ghia interior, and everything worked straight off the bat. (stuck with the XR seats and door trims though).

There really is nothing too it if you are handy with the tools yourself. Changing over the motor to an EF/EL one is not difficult, but if you get EF you will need to either A) Convert the motor to distributor ignition or B) run an EF ECU. Bare in mind that the EF/EL motors run different ancilliaries than the EB/ED cars as well.

Buying all that parts you want should be the easy part.....doing the work yourself (if you are not overly handy) could be the difficult part. I would figure on about 1500 for all the parts. You will get nothing back for your old parts tho.

I would do as others have suggested and just buy a fairmont ghia. Far less stuffing around and you know what you are buying then..... If you start getting parts out of old cars, you won't know what works and what doesn't. Also if you start mixing up parts from smartlock cars (ECU, BEM and ignition barrel) you will have a car that will not start unless you bypass the smartlock and why would you want to make your car easier to steal if you have gone to all that trouble?

Get a fairmont ghia!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

what about mixing all parts that come out of all cars the same year or getting a 1994 ED GLI Or Futura and just taking the trip computer including wiring, climate control including wiring, electric windows including wiring and fairmont interior out of the same fairmont car and sticking it in the futura model will that work or even getting a tired ed ghia and sticking reconditioned or lower kms 2nd parts in it. i look foward to your reply

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

You are right, the parts you list have no integral security functions. Any trip computer will work with any computer, likewise climate control etc. The three secure parts to smart lock, that share codes any must match are the ignition barrel, the BEM and the computer. If they do not match, you will have to bypass smartlock.

Your best bet, if you still want to go down this path, would be to find a donor car with all these parts still in situ and grab them all.

It's a big job that you have planned, but I have to say, the end result of a job well done and well accomplished is very rewarding. When mine all cranked up and worked first go, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for some time.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

so how do i go bringing it home legally do i put rego in my name or leave it in the other owners name and how much does it cost to register and comprehensive insurance or even third party bodily and property insurance and if you have third party property and bodily insurance will damage and injury be covered for the other persons and property and i be covered only for injury but not car as well or not. i look foward to your reply

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]