Couple of basic questions regarding rust and scrapes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Couple of basic questions regarding rust and scrapes
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

QLD, Australia

Hey all,

I've decided its about time i did something about the few spots of rust on my EF before they get any worse, but don't have a clue where to start and searching didnt yield much. I've posted (rubbish, i know) pictures in the members gallery but im not sure how to link it here. This might work: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/gallery. ... e&meetid=0 Anyway im sure you skilled peoples will find it! The most worrysome rust is the circular spot as it looks to be quite deep. The other strip of rust running along the 'join' between the roof and the tailgate is just light surface rust which i assume i'd just have to sand back, prime and paint?

Also as for the front scrape, would it be cheaper to get it repaired professionally or just to source a new one/aftermarket? I'm not to keen on repairing it myself as my father did a similar repair where the bottom of the frontbar started to crack, and a year later the paints flaking off already.

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

Dan

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey Dan...the last image of ur spot of rust from roof meets window.....is that the front windshield? cause thats a b**ch and a half to fix......it happened to my EA because the dude that replaced my window chipped off some paint and never told me. but mine was bad...it had a couple of holes that leaked into the cabin :S so on a rainy day my interior would have a puddle of water on the passenger side.....so if i were u...remove the rust as soon as possible, sand it back making it slightly rough and making sure there is no more rust that can be seen. and then primer it, sand and respray paint over it...i suggest u get that professionally done cause once u start to get something like i did..it would require cut and weld to get it fixed.

the bumper seems fine......u can just sand it back...get a spray can that sticks to plastic (not sure which one) and then spray away

good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
hey Dan...the last image of ur spot of rust from roof meets window.....is that the front windshield?

It's actually near the rear of the wagon on the lefthand side of the car, where the roof meets the glass. Basically on the left hand side of the other photo of rust. I'm not so sure that i can sand this smooth as it's quite lumpy and has eaten a little bit into the metal by the looks of it.

I've seen this spray on stuff that apparently converts rust to some ultra tough substance that is even paintable. If i were just to chip away at the rust and try and smooth it down a little, and then just spray it with that stuff would it do the job? Leaving it unpainted of course. I don't really want to spend a fortune, if i can stop it in its tracks then that'll suit me fine!

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hmmm i dunno about that rust converter thingy...never heard of it....i always take the safe side. you could chip off the lumpy bits....but putting that spray thingy on won't guarantee u anything unless u sand back most of the rust....not sure mate.....i don't think u can stop it just by spraying something on it.

cheeers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

C'mon guys some of you must know how to do this stuff! It's not like there aren't many rusty falcons getting about :D

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Quick fix, rub the rust back, then apply some rust converter, the transperent liquid you are talking about.
Then fill it with some body filler (AKA bog) then smooth over. then apply some more rust converter for good measure.
Then primer, then top coat. To get the right shade of paint, get the paint code of the ID plate of the car.

Post subject: .
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

dsjoyce wrote:
C'mon guys some of you must know how to do this stuff! It's not like there aren't many rusty falcons getting about :D

there is a sticky at the top of the page to deal with problems such as yours if you post the question there then the answers will be for all to see instead of having to search

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]