Fordmods Logo

Cutting Hole behind Grille, Problems? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Cutting Hole behind Grille, Problems?
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I'm considering giving the grille on my el ghia a spruse up by replacing the black bars with some chrome mesh.
Seeing as the mesh will have holes in it, why not cut out the panel behind it for some fresh air? But i read somewhere that it mucks up the normal airflow and actually restricts air. Is this the case?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: Cutting Hole behind Grille, Problems?
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TheELghia wrote:
I'm considering giving the grille on my el ghia a spruse up by replacing the black bars with some chrome mesh.
Seeing as the mesh will have holes in it, why not cut out the panel behind it for some fresh air? But i read somewhere that it mucks up the normal airflow and actually restricts air. Is this the case?

It can and can't restrict air, just depends but I'd imagine you'd get some no difference. Also if you cut a hole big enough, you'd scoop rain and if it's pouring down, your dizzy won't be too happy.

In regards to air flow...air only flows if there is an inflow and outflow. So if you cut a giant hole in the front, more air can go in yes, but how does it get out? Think of it this way...outside it is windy and your house is warm...to get the best draft going through the house, you open both front and rear door, or windows...not just the front door.

...and no, I am not saying cut a whole in the bonnet to let the air out...

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: Cutting Hole behind Grille, Problems?
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
TheELghia wrote:

It can and can't restrict air, just depends but I'd imagine you'd get some no difference. Also if you cut a hole big enough, you'd scoop rain and if it's pouring down, your dizzy won't be too happy.

In regards to air flow...air only flows if there is an inflow and outflow. So if you cut a giant hole in the front, more air can go in yes, but how does it get out? Think of it this way...outside it is windy and your house is warm...to get the best draft going through the house, you open both front and rear door, or windows...not just the front door.

...and no, I am not saying cut a whole in the bonnet to let the air out...

Ah k. understandable. So if you do cut a hole you will get more air flow but all that air has no where to go, therefore canceling eachother out. Long story short, its not worth it.
Was just enquiring because you can see the panel straight through the mesh and it doesn't have a good effect. Guess ill just pain it black ;)

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]