Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: damaged front door
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i had a little accident today and only having 3rd party means i have to fix it my self, i visited a few pannel beaters and i laught at their face when they quoted me $1800+.
now what i thought to do was go wreckers and find a new door, is it a hard job to fit?? and approx how much will i be looking at for a door from wreckers???
any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments:
DOOR.jpg
DOOR.jpg [ 241.4 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Commerial sponser (ferntree gully auto wreckers) U-FTG

Total Auto recyclers (ask for john) I think theres a blue AU door there in stock. Dandenong

Also try Ford Auto Salvage. Clayton (George)

I hope these help

I would expect $100+ish taken off... and under from a DIY

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

the au doors have a skin crimped and glude on, removes the molding, the pannel beater here makes two cuts on the door one around the mirror and the other one oppisit the mirror and prises them apart and gets the new skin and cuts to size to match the old one places it on with some selastic and crimps the edge around the three sides at a cost of about $400

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

I did the same and just bought a door from the wreckers myself but the s**t thing was this door was just a shell so i had to swap over window regs, central locking, wiring etc. It took couple hours and cost about $200 doing all myself except painting of the door.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fordnuttz wrote:
I did the same and just bought a door from the wreckers myself but the s**t thing was this door was just a shell so i had to swap over window regs, central locking, wiring etc. It took couple hours and cost about $200 doing all myself except painting of the door.

i was thinking of doing the same thing, cause its cheaper to get just the shell then the whole door, is it a pain in the a** to swap everything over??? and do you rekon its worth doin or just getting a pannel beater to install the door???
thanks for the replys

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

Well my mate hit a tree in his Fairmont and got a door that only needed the doortrim swapped over and it was a lot easier but doin mine wasn't that bad. I wouldn't get a panel beater to do it. it's easy enough. The only problem with mine was that the alignment was out cos i bent the a pillar so the panel beater had to straighten it. cost $60.

I say get a door and get into it.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

will do this monday, thanks heaps for the advice

96 EF FAIRMONT
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Just to add to jabinet the reason your quote was the price it was the panel shop would have quoted to remove all neccitems and refit them and also blend the front guard paint the door inside and out repair and paint the rear door as well as all three moulds and door handles he more than likely quoted for new moulds as they are a pain in the a*** to remove the old tape and no aftermarket tape holds as welll as the original {the moulds also bow when they have been removed}
I am just letting you know that the price was justified for a good quality job without sacrificing the integeraty of the car

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i no this, and your right.
but i think ill rather do it myself and save $1500, as i dont intend on keeping the car much longer.

96 EF FAIRMONT
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If the paint isnt damaged, a paintless dent removal service will push that out for a couple of hundred bucks.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
If the paint isnt damaged, a paintless dent removal service will push that out for a couple of hundred bucks.

there is no paint removed at all, ive visited heaps of pannelbeaters and have not found one that will just punch it back into shape.
is it possible to do myself???

96 EF FAIRMONT
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

This is the dude who did my car:

Melbourne - West Tony Beaton 0400 448 733

He normally only does the Western Suburbs, so depends where you are.

My dent was about a foot long and 6" high. Someone reversed into me and rounded the rear 1/4 right above the bumper line. After speaking to lots of these paintless dent removal morons who said it couldnt be done, this guy looked at it and said no worries, $250. He was there for a couple of hours, did a fantastic job... Cant even see there was damage there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]