Fordmods Logo

Driving/Cornering Lights 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeh i got quoted 92.50 EACH from ford (N) saw those.. but now everyone is going to go for them ;p booo to you

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
LSD wrote:
Don't all EF bumpers have the brake duct holes where the lights can go? Or is there something special about the Fairmont/Fairlane bumpers?

yeah they do, but they're a different shape - the EF Gli/XR/Futura ones are more recessed back into the bumper than the fairmont ones - hence why they won't fit. plus they're s**t lights if you're looking for 'drive' lights anyways - best off going for something with some more power :wink:

my understanding is the EL GT had lights which would fit in the standard bumper holes but I've never confirmed it though ... maybe someone would like to!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
uglybob wrote:
LSD wrote:
Don't all EF bumpers have the brake duct holes where the lights can go? Or is there something special about the Fairmont/Fairlane bumpers?

yeah they do, but they're a different shape - the EF Gli/XR/Futura ones are more recessed back into the bumper than the fairmont ones - hence why they won't fit. plus they're s**t lights if you're looking for 'drive' lights anyways - best off going for something with some more power :wink:

my understanding is the EL GT had lights which would fit in the standard bumper holes but I've never confirmed it though ... maybe someone would like to!

mind you, i wouldn't even want to contemplate what EL GT drive lights would cost :shock:

i was thinking of creating a rubber surround for mine, to make it look like they are moulded into the bumper...

ahhhh one day :lol:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

just went and had a look at an el gt front bumper and it seems I'm full of s**t! :P oh well..... someone had made brackets up for them on here before and fitted a set... can't remember who!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

a friend of mine has told me that they are illegal if kept on? (wired to park lights) is this true ? :/ :(

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Laximah wrote:
a friend of mine has told me that they are illegal if kept on? (wired to park lights) is this true ? :/ :(

spotlighst yes, not cornering lamps altho if u have a tightass cop im sure they will d**k you nodoubt anyway.

ive had cops look over my car for a gooooood (good yer rite) 15 min one night n it was like the only thing they didnt point out; they arent bright enough to annoy anyonel just look nice and light up corners and pathways n stuff - good for parking and seeing pedestrians too.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Laximah wrote:

spotlighst yes, not cornering lamps altho if u have a tightass cop im sure they will d**k you nodoubt anyway.

ive had cops look over my car for a gooooood (good yer rite) 15 min one night n it was like the only thing they didnt point out; they arent bright enough to annoy anyonel just look nice and light up corners and pathways n stuff - good for parking and seeing pedestrians too.

Not illegal for fog lamps as long as they are clear, amber ones can only be used during inclement weather. must have wattage no more than 55watts and be mounted low in bar. Spread of light should be pointed down to ground to light up road under fog layer.

Driving lights or spot lights are differant, higher wattage, diiferant reflectors etc. They must be wired up to High Beam

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Laximah wrote:

Not illegal for fog lamps as long as they are clear, amber ones can only be used during inclement weather. must have wattage no more than 55watts and be mounted low in bar. Spread of light should be pointed down to ground to light up road under fog layer.

Driving lights or spot lights are differant, higher wattage, diiferant reflectors etc. They must be wired up to High Beam

Ok - they must also be a certain distance away from each other.. (Xcm space between both mounting locations.)

I for get the space, was something like 45 or 55cm; cant remember.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:31 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Laximah wrote:
twirqurky wrote:
Damn they looked cool too...meh it can wait and be on my list of things to do.

is that letter addressed to me still on ur list of things to do ?! :P :D

Its in the mail, Australia Post has it now....its coming its comin, just relax.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ahaha huge :D thanks mate :D

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
madmax wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Laximah wrote:

Ok - they must also be a certain distance away from each other.. (Xcm space between both mounting locations.)

I for get the space, was something like 45 or 55cm; cant remember.

Not sure about the exact distance apart, but its a minimum distance, other than that they can be as far apart as you want them. The brake ducts on a EF or EL would be fine.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Fairmont + EF gli

QLD, Australia

Quote:
There's a set on ebay at the moment if someones interested. Pretty rare to get them cheap as they are about $160-$170 brand new from Ford.

i got a price of $95 each from ford ....thats why i could not understand why they are getting so much for them on ebay

Photos Here :)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jewie/index.htm

Post subject: Quick time saver tip if you're fitting the cornering lamps
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

When installing the lamp assembly, use wing nuts instead of hex nuts. That way you can grope around through the wheel well (turn to full lock first) to screw the lamp assembly in, without needing to remove the bumper. As a bonus if you're just wiring them up as driving lights you can also find the park light wire above the drivers side wheel arch.

I put a couple of Luxeon Star 1 watt LEDs into mine as a replacement for the globe. These are not your normal LEDs, a normal 5mm bright white only consumes about 50-100 milliwats (0.05 - 0.1 watts). They won't put out super bright light like a fog lamp or driving light, but they are definitely visible and the bonus is that the light direction is forward rather than sideways. I used the base of a bulb along with a dropping resistor and reverse protection diode so it was 100% backward compatible with the standard lamps. Unfortunately I didn't properly waterproof them so eventually parasitic moisture in the assembly killed them. With hot running globes this isn't an issue since they are fully sealed, and most stray moisture probably gets evaporated off by the incandescent heat.

BTW you can get 3W and 5W Luxeons from Jaycar these days. The 5W model will probably be too big to poke through the globe opening, and the 3W model needs extra heatsinking which may also be a space challenge.

Just remember the dropping resistor needs to be suitably rated (5W or 10W wirewound) as it's dissipating more than the LED. When you're running a single 1W Luxeon off 14V you'll be dissipating about 3.5W in the resistor.

Have fun

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2