EB WITH A EL FRONT IS GOING AHEAD BA DASH AND ENGINE AS WELL 

Page 2 of 6 [ 82 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: EB WITH A EL FRONT IS GOING AHEAD BA DASH AND ENGINE AS WELL
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have a pic here somewhere of a white EB with an EF/EL front end..

They didn't finish matching up the trims.. but other than that it looks good.

I was going to do this myself before I got the EL and decided it was a better base for my work. (only because my EA body is rusting in the sills)

I'll see if I can find the photo again..

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer i'd probably rather do the door trims than the engine & dash lol
theres a post on here somewhere with a ba dash in an ea with el ghia trims and i was actuall surprised by how well they did line up, disregarding the gap at the front of the dash. which in considering the task at hand isn't a bad initial outcome.
i hear of ea's always rusting out in the sills and seen a few but mines got rusted the top of the rear guards out due to water leaching out of those stupid c pillar covers i'm guessing. guess i'd better take my skirts off and have a good look before i start fixing that problem.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Hey there, been a while since iv posted anything, so heres whats happen. Theres good news and bad news, ill start with the bad news, i got tierd of waiting to organise to see this BA xr6 turbo so i started looking for something else. The good news, i got my hands on a 2004 BA XR6 (non turbo, engine has about 90 000kms) with 4 speed gear box, dash, wiring harnes, cd player, A/C, computers, brake boost, k-frame and suspension set up, all this for a nice $1500. I have to go down south in a few weeks to pick it up. More good news, the EL XR radiator support has finally rocked up today and work will probably start on that in a few weeks..

So what iv done to the car: The dash and pretty much all the wiring has been given the flick, the engine got turfed out this sared. Ill post some pics up, plz feel free to leave some comments and ideas, ill do a write up on how to do the radiator support in a bit with some pics, incase there are a few people wanting to do this... also ill post some side on pics of the car with the el gaurds on soon i havent forgoten. cheers let me know what u think.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Dash all pulled out:
Attachment:
15022009122.jpg
15022009122.jpg [ 120.1 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

Engine all pulled out:
Attachment:
26022009124.jpg
26022009124.jpg [ 244.92 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

I decided to cut bit of the radiator support out to help pull the engine out,
Attachment:
26022009126.jpg
26022009126.jpg [ 348 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

Ahhh sweet the new radiator support with lights, also came with the front bar, but needs major repair
Attachment:
26022009129.jpg
26022009129.jpg [ 242.79 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

Great way to ruin an EB.

Although I must give you credit for doing all the work yourself and having something unique(don't mean that in a good way either)

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey mate, i have to do a rad support on an el soon, is it hard? whats involved other than drilling and tacking?

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

eboost wrote:
hey mate, i have to do a rad support on an el soon, is it hard? whats involved other than drilling and tacking?

Dude the e series radiator supports are the eaziest to install. Are you going new or 2nd hand?? iam guessing 2nd hand iam not 100% sure if they make genuine rads for el's (i could be wrong). ill post some pics up in a bit, if youve got a 2nd hand one, all you gotta do is use a piolet drill and drill all the sport welds holding the rad to the skirts, depending on the damage of ur car, u can avoide unpicking it from the front chassiy and just unpick the top section. After using the piolet hole go around with a drill bit the same size as the hole (you can use a proper spot weld drill if you can get one). all you need then is to clean up under the rad where it welds (grind the paint off) get some weld threw primer, spray it and spray it where its gonna go and weld him up, be sure to trial fit your bonnet, gaurds, and lights. you can use a few self tapper screws to help hold it or some vice grips. And if you wanna make it a bit more secure get a spot welder and add a couple spots to it.
cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Hey there again readers, its been a grueling week, but iv got the EL radiator support on. Ill post some pics up on what to do, and also you have to fold the side of the skirts out a little to allow the new rad support sit nice... iv still yet to pick up an old bonnet just to trial fit everything, but take a look and let me know what you think.

first of all drill out the new rad by using a piolet hole threw the spot weld and then using a bigger drill bit to finish it off, heres a pic, also when ur done use a chisel and hammer to break off.

Attachment:
02032009133.jpg
02032009133.jpg [ 415.19 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]

When you get down to the chassy area you will defenetly need to salvage the top part of the support (AND ITS A PAIN TO GET OFF!! Due to harden steel and a hard to rich place be aware to have at least a couple of decent piolet drills, because you may bugger them) you can grind the front spot welds like iv done but ull see a few around the side that are hard to get off... please note it may be eazy to drill this part off the rad support because you do not want to bend it to much... heres another pic

Attachment:
03032009136.jpg
03032009136.jpg [ 380.42 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]

Heres what the rad support looks when its on, also note how the front off the skirts have to be slightly bent and also youll notice about an inch of the skirt sticking out will have to be removed and tidyed up.... its not easy so take your time, dont rush it and make sure you have descent tools. this is a rough trial fit i havent yet welded anything nor dressed it up.

Attachment:
05032009143.jpg
05032009143.jpg [ 354.79 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

I have sat the chassy bracket or front bar reo support i guess you could call it on, once again nothings spot welded or welded yet, but just gives you an idea, this part how ever sits on nicely, also when it comes time to weld THIS PART GETS WELDED FIRST, ull have all sorts of trouble if you put the rad support on first.

Attachment:
05032009143.jpg
05032009143.jpg [ 354.79 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

And here is a look at what to expect.... to me it aint all that bad, and iv only spent $700 including the car, so its not a bad cheap project, leave some feedback and let me know what you think, and if you guys have any ideas let me know.... to be honest i was iffy about the xr bar, i thaught it might be over kill, i was goedn to put a ef or a el stock bar on but now i think it looks a bit better... Also my original idea was to do an EB GT Replica, but theres to many of them getting around im not much of a huge fan of fibre glass or after market bits, i wanted to keep this thing as genuine as i can, except for the BA bonnet buldge i might put on later, so that the engine has a little room, LET ME NO WHAT U THINK

Attachment:
05032009144.jpg
05032009144.jpg [ 457.97 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

Attachment:
05032009146.jpg
05032009146.jpg [ 423.52 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6, EA Brock Falcon

VIC, Australia

coming along nicely mate, like what ur doing with the eb, did you ever look into the brock bodykits? they really smarten up any ea-ed.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

opps i stuffed up with one of the photos, heres the pic when i was talking about that chassy bracket or front bar reo support bit:

Attachment:
05032009142.jpg
05032009142.jpg [ 322.19 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

Also heres a side on shot i took this sarv, it aint that great of a photo, ill take another one later on with the back door on and a decent camera but itll give you an idea what to expect, dont forget leave a post with some ideas and what you think: "i havent yet thaught what to do with the back bar, weather to just use a standard eb bar or maybe trying to fit a EL rear bar on??? ideas any one, also i did something either way to cool or stupid, iv ditched the fuel tank, and iam going to invest in one of those alloy tanks which can fit in the spare wheel arch, something around the 37-50 litre tank... iv seen them one the net for around the $200, the reason i did this was so i could fit a split exhaust system from out each side?????? smart or dumb idea??? iv checked and theres stacks of room for 2 pipes to come over the RHS of the diff and for one to go around the spare wheel.

Attachment:
05032009141.jpg
05032009141.jpg [ 448.34 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

goody21 wrote:
coming along nicely mate, like what ur doing with the eb, did you ever look into the brock bodykits? they really smarten up any ea-ed.

Hey there champ, yeah iam a big fan of the brock kit on the ea's, i did consider it when i was thinking of doen a EB GT rep... but i wanted something with all genuine parts on it and not so much fibre glass. I had a EB years ago with a SV or a SVO kit "i forget now" but it looked similar to the GT and it was a nightmare when i fited it up, tryen to line everything up, but if i was to come across a genuine brock kit or an EB kit i would have settled with that any day...

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my old man has one they are one of the nicest es's ever produced if not the nicests. the only thinki would change would be the xr lights some reason i love the ea to el xrs even though no one on my family does lol, i think the front of your car would look mint with a boos hump bonnet, im a big fan of them as long as you have a v8

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

goody21 wrote:
my old man has one they are one of the nicest es's ever produced if not the nicests. the only thinki would change would be the xr lights some reason i love the ea to el xrs even though no one on my family does lol, i think the front of your car would look mint with a boos hump bonnet, im a big fan of them as long as you have a v8

Thanks for your comment, as for the bonnet buldge i was looking at these bonnets on the net iv seen, they are made of fibre glass thow, but its an entire bonnet with the BA hump molded in, iv seen other people who but those fibre glass ones on there stock bonnets and they start to crack, i thaught maybe getting a complete fibreglass bonnet might be the way to go.... i need it for the BA engine to clear. cheers dude.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ive seen them on ebay, good old ebay is good for almost everything, cant wait to see your ride when its finished

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

goody21 wrote:
ive seen them on ebay, good old ebay is good for almost everything, cant wait to see your ride when its finished

Yeah thats where i saw them, they look great but iam gonna have to save, they sting u $750 for a bonnet.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next