Fordmods Logo

EB WITH A EL FRONT IS GOING AHEAD BA DASH AND ENGINE AS WELL 

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: EB WITH A EL FRONT IS GOING AHEAD BA DASH AND ENGINE AS WELL
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Hey Phantom, when you said you used the EF ones, are you referring to the A pillar covers? Cause i think thats what i might do, didnt you do the BA door trims as well?? (i carnt remember) how did you go about it? i was thinking of cutting all the plastic bits off the back, u know where u run the screws threw? and just drilling out new holes where those locating lugs are, is that what u did?
And duvauchellemotors i was thinking of putting a svo bar on, but i found in a forum here the guy who makes those sony scorcher bars, im getting him to make me up a rear one with the number plate filled. Thats another thing thats been on my mind lately, weather to put a EA garnish on. But iam not keen on the EA break lights... any ideas people? i dont wanna make it look like a comodore at the back. I got a few ideas for the back but carnt make my mind up, i thaught maybe hunting down a FAIRMONT garnish,or tinting the lights and garnish on the stock falcon one, OR getting those clear tail lights, you know those ebay ones....
Let us know with any ideas coz iam stuffed for the garnish and lights ideas.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

smithykicks85 wrote:
Hey Phantom, when you said you used the EF ones, are you referring to the A pillar covers? Cause i think thats what i might do, didnt you do the BA door trims as well?? (i carnt remember) how did you go about it? i was thinking of cutting all the plastic bits off the back, u know where u run the screws threw? and just drilling out new holes where those locating lugs are, is that what u did?
And duvauchellemotors i was thinking of putting a svo bar on, but i found in a forum here the guy who makes those sony scorcher bars, im getting him to make me up a rear one with the number plate filled. Thats another thing thats been on my mind lately, weather to put a EA garnish on. But iam not keen on the EA break lights... any ideas people? i dont wanna make it look like a comodore at the back. I got a few ideas for the back but carnt make my mind up, i thaught maybe hunting down a FAIRMONT garnish,or tinting the lights and garnish on the stock falcon one, OR getting those clear tail lights, you know those ebay ones....
Let us know with any ideas coz iam stuffed for the garnish and lights ideas.

This is what I did to my EA rear... I grafted in an ED garnish... (get an EB/ED boot as cutting the reverse holes etc in the EA boot is PIA) then color coded and got the ebay lights also.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

This is what I did to my EA rear... I grafted in an ED garnish... (get an EB/ED boot as cutting the reverse holes etc in the EA boot is PIA) then color coded and got the ebay lights also.

Image[/quote]

Nice that looks prety neat, i wasnt sure if removing the badges off the garnish, filling them, then painting them, would probably look like a commodore, how ever leaving the badges on and colour codeing them look neat as, ill probably do what youv done, just needed to see what it would look like.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

That red line incorporating the badges was not my idea.. eb/ed Fairmonts have that same arrangement, you just can't see as well because the rest of the light is red as well.

In my version I used a non fairmont garnish.. and color coded it, then put the fairmont badges back on. worked out well.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
That red line incorporating the badges was not my idea.. eb/ed Fairmonts have that same arrangement, you just can't see as well because the rest of the light is red as well.

In my version I used a non fairmont garnish.. and color coded it, then put the fairmont badges back on. worked out well.

Yeah i agree it looks mint, i think i might have a crack at doing that then, and maybe try looking for a xr6 badge to put in the spot where you have the fairmont one, or if i carnt get a xr6 badge maybe even a falcon s one.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

I may have some items that interest you, all pictured items are for sale.

I have a full xr6 garnish for sale, has a small crack so would suit your project as your going to custom it up.
$60 plus $20 post, will refund extra post.
Can get better picture if you want this one makes it look dirty.

If you want i can delete post if you dont want it in your thread.
All badges come with double sided tape cleaned and will be ready to stick on any project car.
Any one can PM if your interested in prices and post, i can do cheap post on badges.

Project looks great good luck with everything, tint the altezza lights if you get them because there to bright if there not on a white car, you could always go for xr6 badges on a Fairmont garnish which match the ED lights nicly. Im not a fan of the colour coding but if you like it go for it.

Regards,

Michael.

Last edited by itlookslikeaxr6 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

itlookslikeaxr6 wrote:
you could always go for xr6 badges on a Fairmont garnish which match the ED lights nicly.

Regards,

Michael.

Yeah thats a good idea Michael, I would like to do that with my ED when I start building that up.

Josh

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

YAY, its a deffinit for the rad support to be welded on this weekend, got a truck to tow it in on friday, so i should have some pics up sunday night or monday.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I had a massive weekender on the car, ill start with the moded K-FRAME. I simply cut away the steel bar which runs at the front but i made sure i left the part which was welded to the K-frame as you can see in the picture:
Attachment:
22042009207.jpg
22042009207.jpg [ 275.08 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

I went down to a local steel supplier in town and purchased 580mm cut of the same steel thickness, it only ended up costing $12.10, If you have never used a welder before try and track down someone who is familiar and good at welding. Other wise youll probably have to take it to an engineer. Just make sure you do some good penetrating with the welder and since your yousing thicker steel you can crank your amps up and your wire speed as well, heres a shot of how it turned out, followed by a close up of how i welded it:
Attachment:
25042009212.jpg
25042009212.jpg [ 276.3 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

heres the close up shoot, note i also welded underneath to make sure it wasnt going any where:
Attachment:
25042009213.jpg
25042009213.jpg [ 314.15 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

A quick clean up of the welds with a wire wheel on a die grinder or drill and a scotchy with some prepsole and shes ready for a quick spray of etch prime followed by 2-3 coats of matt black and itll almost look factory:
Attachment:
25042009214.jpg
25042009214.jpg [ 246.21 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Ok on to the radiator support (finally), check out the picture, it shows you that youll have to bend the front of the skirts out to make fit, iam not sure of measurements as it was just a matter of bending and trialing until it sat right. A very ezy way to find out if your doing it right is to sit the rad supprt on (after bending out the tips of the skirts) and trying to line the 2nd 10mm bolt hole from the front up with the radiator support. Also youll have 2 indicator holes, just make sure you line the 2 indicator holes up with the 2 on the EA-ED skirts and wack a 10mm boly threw them to keep them lined up. Heres a pic of how i bent the sides out more, (keep in mind it looks narsty at first but once welded and cleaned up you wouldnt notice:
Attachment:
22042009209.jpg
22042009209.jpg [ 199.94 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

Now when things line up clean the paint of the parts that are going to be welded (this helps when it comes time to weld so you dont make a mess of things), also apply a weld threw primer on the parts which will be welded (pretty much where ever you take paint off apply this, itll help against rusting in the future) heres a pic of how the skirts sat with the EL rad on:
Attachment:
25042009217.jpg
25042009217.jpg [ 224.48 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

Now you can begin to weld, the use of vice grips may help you hold pannels together so you dont have gaps in between your jobs, also once youve welded it up get a hack saw and very carefully trim the old skirts off (refer to pic) then use a belt sander or 40 grit sander disc and neaten it up a little if you like (avoid using angel grinder for neating it up please :-) )
Attachment:
25042009219.jpg
25042009219.jpg [ 294 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

once welded welded clean your welds up with a grinder if they are a bit messy, then use a wire bruch on a die grinder and clean up the paint around it and run over the weld. After that yo can either go to the extreme of putting some bog over it to make neat, or you can sand it with a bit of 240-320 grit, apple either a primer on or if your doing a bit of a back yardy some etch prime out of an aerisol can. then scochy the rad support down throw some scan sealer on and itll be right for paint. O yeah just remembered, also grab a hammer and a dolly and try and neated up any bends in the rad from wleding. Heres another pic of it completed (not painted yet):
Attachment:
25042009221.jpg
25042009221.jpg [ 289.82 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Also heres another shot of the car with the new rad support on, to be honest its not a big job to swap the rads over, just give your self a weekend on it, as for the k-frame mod it was all over in about 15 mins. heres a few things that i did to the car as well on the weekend:
Attachment:
25042009222.jpg
25042009222.jpg [ 287.56 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

I got the roof knocked over to, just used some paint stipper, then cleaned it up and applyed rust converted and used a scotchy to rub it in, IMPORTANT, if your doing a bit of a resto on your earlier ford and you have both windscreens out clean the stickaflex of it and take the frame back to metal, i uncovered a few little rust spots especially at the top of the front windscreen, id hate to see some one spend time and money of there car only to have it come back with hidden rust. heres a pic of the out come:
Attachment:
25042009223.jpg
25042009223.jpg [ 268.05 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Heres something you wouldnt believe, i picked up pretty much the hole interior out or a BA XL work ute, included 2 door trims, centre console, kick pannels, and a box full of plastic dash parts, all for a very neat $2.50 off EBAY...... crazyyy. This is great so i can cut and customise the cheap door trims and make them fit the EB, if i was to stuff up and damaged the trims ill know not to do that when i order my XR door trims:
Attachment:
25042009224.jpg
25042009224.jpg [ 256.56 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Also i sanded down the gaurds and doors, firts with some 80 grit, then applied 2 pac bog in any little dents, then i blocked it back with some 180 grit. (please not, use a long sanding block, as youll get a straighter finish and a better quality job). Once that was done i primed the pannles again, this will give me a flawless straight look:
Attachment:
25042009226.jpg
25042009226.jpg [ 324.35 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

So ill post up some more pics for you guys over the next few weeks, but i might start a new thread in the garage and ill try explaing things a bit better and more detail. Well i hope you like this write up iv done on the EF-EL radiator support on a box car, hope some where itll help some one out or give them a idea custom the front of there ford like a BA front on a AU... theres something to think about?? and iam sure the doors are the same to mmmmmm giving my self an idea. Well any way leave some feed back of what you think (dont be shy newbies) and look out for my next thread as ill discuss how i went about with the BA door trims, dash, seats, engine and tranny, brake up grades and suspension... stacks more, o and the paint job. Like i said weather your new or old to fordmods drop us some feed back or weather yove done a custome front end and how you went about it. Thanks

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Its looking good there mate, Im keen to see how this all turns out.

Josh

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks xr_lane, still have a long way to go but hopefully will turn out nice.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

don't want to have whigne or anything but once the rad support was on did you trail fit a guard to see if the bend interfered with the indicators or the guard placement itself?

looking good so far.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
don't want to have whigne or anything but once the rad support was on did you trail fit a guard to see if the bend interfered with the indicators or the guard placement itself?

looking good so far.

Hey there, yeah i trialed fitted everything except a bonnet before even touching a welder, how ever i did 4get to mention, people who are keen on doing this project will have to weld a piece of steel coming off the sides of the skirt where the gaurd bolts up 2. Ill have to do this next weekend and ill throw some photos up of what i mean. As for bar, lights and idicators thwy line up sweet, figures crossed with the bonnet thow, but iam sure it shouldnt be to much drama :?

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next